Fuel flow gauge

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.A. Veil

Reaction score
My standard Yamaha fuel gauge gives only a rough approximation of remaining fuel level at best. I am considering adding some other type of sensor and gauge that gives accurate fuel tank levels as well as real-time fuel consumption so I can monitor fuel consumption at different engine speeds.

Last month, I rode on Megabyte's boat and saw his add-on gauge. (Kevin, please let me know that brand and model of your gauge). I am interested in hearing how some of the rest of you are dealing with fuel flow information. Thanks in advance.

John, My fuel gage/transducer is a Navman 2100. Currently $118 at BOE Marine in Annapolis.
http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store ... 381&page=1

t_16237_04.jpg

It's pretty basic, and it gets the job done.
A step up from the 2100 is the 3100 which gives you more functions.
Installation is very simple. If I can do it, anyone can. :wink:

I really don't trust that fuel level meter that is connected to the "sending unit" in the tank. Depending on trim, I can get mine to read full or 3/4...so you have to be careful how you read them.

When you get twins installed, Yamaha apparently automatically includes a "floscan" style of meter. I get gph for port, starboard, and total. I also get total gal burned since the last fill-up (similar to a trip meter on a car). Wouldn't leave home without them. You can do quick gph calculations in your head to determine if you have enough fuel for the planned activities. Your Yamaha guages and wiring harness may already be capable of providing the data readout and the connection, leaving you with the task of installing the sending unit. Not sure about that though, so you should check with your dealer or with Robin @ Parker (give her the hull number, and she can probably tell you if your make/model/year was rigged that way.

With the Lowrance fuel gage, do you have to add a fuel tank level transmitter as well to get gallons remaining ? Or does the unit work by you inputting the full tank gallons and subtract the fuel burned ?
When I looked at the Lowrance fuel tank level sending unit, it appears to connect the output of the existing level gage. I don' think that would give you much useful information since my current level gage says "full " even just before I refill the tank with 20 or so gallons. Only time I got anywhere near a real level read, burned about 3/4 of the tank before refilling.
As information, I have an 18ft Parker, F115 and 60 gal tank. I rarely burn more than 15 gals /trip so tank is normally near full but I would like to be able to draw down the tank more before converting to E10 .

I have a floscan and it can't be beat. I find it to very accurate after calibrating it and the totalizer is always within 2 gals. for 100 gal burned. I would say that should be acceptable for anyone. If you need to cut it any finer than that you need a larger tank.

RangerDog,
When you installed the Lowrance unit did you have to fill your tank in order to calibrate the flow gauge and show fuel remaining? I messed around with the LMF-200 last week and was told by Lowrance that I had to fill my tank in order to calibrate the flow sensor and show the correct gal remaining... With the price of gas I'm not about to fill my 150 gal tank. I know I have about 50 gal of fuel onboard but wasn't able to manually adjust fuel remaining on the gauge...After about an hour on the phone with tech support I was told the tank has to be filled and there is no way to manually set the value? Appreciate any help you can provide!

JimH

JimH":mvrt2fec said:
RangerDog,
I messed around with the LMF-200 last week and was told by Lowrance that I had to fill my tank in order to calibrate the flow sensor and show the correct gal remaining... With the price of gas I'm not about to fill my 150 gal tank.
You should be able to install that unit and then hook up a 6-gallon spare or pony tank to your fuel line. I did this via a 3-way valve as my main tank is 126 gallons. Any time I want to calibrate or check my Navman fuel computer, I switch to the 6-gallon tank and set the fuel computer to have 6 gallon capacity. Then I run it for at least 5 gallons as shown by the "fuel used" and then measure the remaining fuel. Simple and quick, as I saved a one gallon oil container that measures to ounces pretty accurately.

Once calibrated, just change the amount of fuel to be whatever your built-in tank is.

Back