Fuel lines

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D00nspoon

Reaction score
I have a 2001 2320 fairly new to me with an hpdi 200. Since I’ve got the boat it has ran well, I’ve replaced all filters. Today I was running it and the boat was surging and stalling like hell… my vst electric fuel pump died so I replaced it. The boat ran great for an hour or so trolled for about 30 minutes picked it up and the surging started. My question is are the fuel line from 01 not rated for ethanol?… I thought I was having a fuel restriction so I changed the racor on the water, dumped the fuel into a container on board and the fuel from the racor was very cloudy and had a pinkish red tint to it. My concern is that maybe the fuel has deteriorated the lines causing the cloudiness and surging problems and what could cause the fuel in the racor to turn reddish pink. I’ve read water can cause the red pink when additives are added to the fuel. I run ringfree and sometimes startron. Has my boat been starving for fuel which caused the electric pump to burn up due to fuel restrictions from ethanol gas eating the fuel lines?…. Anyone with fuel line issues with an 01 or near Similar year have any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Other info… primer bulb does not remain hard while running, after a stall is soft… vst pump went bad after nearly filling tank with 89 a week ago from nearly an empty tank…. No symptoms running almost 200 miles a couple weeks ago, now nothing is right and all is wrong. Thanks for any input

If you do not have a water in fuel alarm I would draw some fuel and let it rest in the jar and see if it settles and shows fuel/water separation. On a side note I always use a fuel conditioner along with ring free. As far as deteriorated lines go I cannot comment on that, but changing them out after you determine fuel is not contaminated can't be a bad choice. Also, I am not sure if Parker uses a screen at the end of the fuel pickup in the tank. If so that could be clogged.

20 year old fuel lines are way, way past their useful life time. They are also unlikely to be ethanol rated by current standards. I would replace the fill, vent, and supply hoses as soon as practical.

It is also possible the pick tube in the tank has deteriorated from age or the screen is plugged.

It is a good suggestion to see if you have water or debris in the tank.

Again, at 20 years you should inspect the whole fuel system and replace as needed.

Could be a bad load of gas. What does it smell like? Do a match test on it..
However, at that age, ethanol in the fuel has already done damage to non rated fuel lines. Time to change all the lines.
In the mean time, take the short fuel line between the racor and the primer bulb off and slice it open..what do you see?

I have a 2002 2320 with 200hpdi on transom bracket. Im on borrowed time with my hoses as well. Two years ago I had a similar fuel starvation issue and in my case it turned out to be a kink in the fuel line. Check the fuel line from your F/W separator in the bilge area. Problem came about very suddenly and I missed that when I was troubleshooting. Cost me $500 and two lost weeks of fishing.

Run on separate tank like John Mad said and see what that does. Primer bulb at times have caused us an issue. That is a cheap/easy trouble shoot/fix option too and ultimately should be changed at the age anyway. All our fuel lines have been replaced. Yours are definitely due for it as others have said.

I lost weeks chasing a fuel starvation problem only to find it was a clogged ASV.

QUOTE="Brent, post: 145405, member: 1270"]
Check ASV on tank. Anti siphon valve or check valve. Inside there is a ball and spring which can clog. Items can be removed or install a new unit
[/QUOTE]

A bit overdue, but update on this. All fuel lines were replaced, cleaned out the vst, new racor filter. Ran great a few trips, last night was on the way out to fish. Started right up, idled through the marina, low speed throttle response was torquey and smooth. Left the marina smooth up to around 2100 rpm, after that it started breaking up and running like crap. Could only get around 3k rpm. Pulled the racor filter, it had some white powdery crap in it after pouring it into a clear container. Figured the vst filter would be clogged up too so pulled the vst and the screen was clean. Cleaned out the bowl and filter screen and reinstalled. No difference. I didn’t have a spare racor filter so I ended up rinsing the existing racor with fuel until it poured out pretty clean, took several rinses. So I have all new filters once again I plan on replacing. Before I replace the filters I’m planning on running the the fuel from the pickup through a series of filters with a 12v fuel pump back to the filler neck. I know my tank could possibly be near the end of its life, could the white powder be corrosion? Anyone else successfully clean out a crapped up fuel tank?

Reading some other things the white powder could be an e10 problem and clog the filters. Maybe add a second racor after the 10 micron to a 2 micron. Figure it will be cheaper to keep replacing the racor filters than all the overly expensive Yamaha filters throughout the engine. Would any fuel stabilizers help clean up or eliminate the white powder situation from continuing to develop?

A bit overdue, but update on this. All fuel lines were replaced, cleaned out the vst, new racor filter. Ran great a few trips, last night was on the way out to fish. Started right up, idled through the marina, low speed throttle response was torquey and smooth. Left the marina smooth up to around 2100 rpm, after that it started breaking up and running like crap. Could only get around 3k rpm. Pulled the racor filter, it had some white powdery crap in it after pouring it into a clear container. Figured the vst filter would be clogged up too so pulled the vst and the screen was clean. Cleaned out the bowl and filter screen and reinstalled. No difference. I didn’t have a spare racor filter so I ended up rinsing the existing racor with fuel until it poured out pretty clean, took several rinses. So I have all new filters once again I plan on replacing. Before I replace the filters I’m planning on running the the fuel from the pickup through a series of filters with a 12v fuel pump back to the filler neck. I know my tank could possibly be near the end of its life, could the white powder be corrosion? Anyone else successfully clean out a crapped up fuel tank?
Have you checked your fuel pickup hose in the tank? The screen in there gets full of crap.

I run 2 micron Racor gas and water filter and see no reason not to add another filter. Maybe the white residue is fuel additives binding water or trying to prevent phase reduction
I haven’t thought of it possibly being additives binding water, I can’t seem to find a Yamaha 2 micron racor filter. Do you run a different brand?

Have you checked your fuel pickup hose in the tank? The screen in there gets full of crap.
I have not checked that yet. I plan on pulling the pickup hose tomorrow or this weekend in order to put a hose from the bottom of the tank through a water separator and inline fuel filters and electric fuel pump to try to clean out the fuel tank and recycle it back into the filler neck. I got a price of $475 from a mobile fuel polishing service. May go that route. The pickup screen and anti siphon valve definitely need to be checked. My tank does have 2 pickups on it with one being capped, I’m assuming it would be there for if I had twins. May pull that one as well see if it’s in better shape.

Back