Fuel tank longevity

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMS

Reaction score
As I begin my search for a used 21 CC I am reading about fuel tank replacements. How long do they usually last? If I buy a 20 year old boat should I be thinking tank replacement in a few years? Not sure if a surveyor could find the issue if it not yet exists. Worried for nothing? Thanks and stay safe...

My current Parker was built in 1996 and I'm on the original tank. No leaks. Knock on wood.

I sold a 1986 25 Parker about 7 years ago. It had 2x 50 gallon tanks. I recently spoke to the current owner and he says the tanks are still original and fine condition.

If I buy a 20 year old boat should I be thinking tank replacement in a few years?

The simple answer is YES.

The problem lies in the unknown. You can pull the pieholes and look in there....But it really doesn't tell you what you want to know. If it's clean in there...Id say you have a GOOD chance it is fine.

Note: I've Never seen it clean in there unless the boat was brand new or a tank was recently installed.

The problem is...It is impossible to inspect unless the boat is cut apart.

If the tank needs replacing......It's $12 per gal......Fill hose is aprox $12ft....vent hose is $8ft.....Fuel feed hose is $4ft

new 4lb density foam.....Coal Tar epoxy.........Repair to the deck.....The job can easily hit $6000

warthog5":196s40g9 said:
If I buy a 20 year old boat should I be thinking tank replacement in a few years?

The simple answer is YES.

The problem lies in the unknown. You can pull the pieholes and look in there....But it really doesn't tell you what you want to know. If it's clean in there...Id say you have a GOOD chance it is fine.

Note: I've Never seen it clean in there unless the boat was brand new or a tank was recently installed.

The problem is...It is impossible to inspect unless the boat is cut apart.

If the tank needs replacing......It's $12 per gal......Fill hose is aprox $12ft....vent hose is $8ft.....Fuel feed hose is $4ft

new 4lb density foam.....Coal Tar epoxy.........Repair to the deck.....The job can easily hit $6000

I agree that you should assume that 20 year old tanks are at the end of their expected life. Some tanks fail in as little as 10 years.

I don't agree with the cost to replace. I would think it's much higher.....

Don't expect a surveyor to find something wrong on the bottom of the tank. Just can't be seen/detected until it fails.

Steve the surveyor

I have a 1995 and had to put in a new fuel tank in 2018. The PVC pipe that runs along the bottom of the hull had broke and slowly the tank corroded by sitting in drain water and I kept getting water in the fuel and couldn't figure it out. Apparently there was pinholes in the tank. Its a chore to change a new tank as you have to cut the deck out to get access. I spent about $1,000 on getting crap fuel pumped out, about $6,000 on deck cutout and repaint of deck and tank install, and $1,700 for new tank. It isn't cheap.

And what did you spend on it.....Did you do it yourself?

Other factors enter into the cost of this. What part of the country?

Did you upgrade from 1/8in to 3/16in? alum is a commodity, so prices of material can change overnight.

My 1990 tank is still holding up so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to share my fuel tank story. It’s not a happy tale and gives me a $hitty feeling to tell but I am going to hoping maybe it helps another Parker Owner.

I filled up my fuel tank on my 2005 Parker 2520 XL prior to Winterization just like I have for the last 14 seasons. On 1 April (FOOLS) I pulled the cover to get my work started prior to launch. The plan was to install a new fancy VHF Radio and 2 new VHF antennas. As I am sitting in the wheelhouses deciding where to mount the radio , I smell gasoline. I open up the far aft hatch and there is a little fluid in the bilge, not unusual, perhaps 1/2 an inch. I sop it all up till as far as I can reach and see is dry. The fluid is a gasoline/water mix. Paper towels used to sop up the fluid smelled like gasoline but would not light on fire so I wasn’t panicking, thinking maybe it was just a small amount of gasoline that had seeped out of a hose fitting over the Winter.

The next day, HOPING for a dry bilge and fumes dissipating, I am crushed, more fluid in the bilge! This time the wet rags go up WOOSH! As in all gasoline. I sop up all the gasoline again. Next I remove both fill and vent hoses from the tank, no fuel coming out of either tank fitting. I check hoses, no leaks.

I go aft to the sending unit and remove 1 screw and gasoline squirts out the screw hole. I put the screw back in and wipe down the top of the tank carefully, no leaks around sending unit. I leave clean dry clean paper towels all around the area of the sending unit. Figuring I will leave them overnight and check to see if there is a slow leak around the sending unit.

I clean up all the gasoline in the bilge again.

Next morning the paper towels I left on the top of the tank, covering the sending unit are bone dry.

Look in the bilge, wet again pure gasoline :cry:

Boat is slightly elevated on trailer so cockpit will drain. I grab a wooden dowel, tape some paper towels to the end and stick it into the drain located in the V-berth floor. Pull the dowel out, paper towels soaking WET :cry: and yes it’s gasoline.

I dry out the bilge aft one more time, next morning it’s wet again with gasoline.

At this point I ASSume my tank HAS to have a hole in it.

CONVINCED that I have a fuel leak, I make the decision to have the tank pulled.

(Opportunity here for all the Monday Morning QBs to chime in to explain all of things they would have done before cutting the deck. YES you’re better then me, so lay it on if you like.)

I routinely fish 25 miles offshore, frequently alone other times with my son or life long friends. Water is sometime 40F never warmer then 70F.

I take my wife, kids and young Granddaughters out in this boat.

Again over the course of 4 days with nothing leaking from the top of the tank, I have raw gasoline in the bilge both aft and forward under the V-berth even with the boat slightly elevated.

At this point, I have lost confidence in the fuel tank and am not gonna put a friend or family member on the boat till this gasoline leak is resolved.

Gasoline gets pumped out, hole gets cut, tank gets pulled.

Tank looks VERY GOOD, no culprit, not even close.

However a Parker fuel tank sits in a “BOX” that is sealed, well mostly sealed. There was about 8 gallons of gasoline in the box.

My buddy is a professional fuel tank builder and was gonna build me my new tank. I ran the old one up to him for him to get dimensions for the new fuel cell. He looks at my tank and says this one looks good, why you replacing it?

We pressure test and after pumping up, yes some bubbles around the sending unit gasket.

Bbbbut do you remember a few paragraphs back I thought I confirmed that it wasn’t leaking? I removed a screw and gasoline shot of the screw hole, stopped leaking when I replaced the screw, so I ASSumed the sending unit wasn’t the problem.

Here is what happened, the fukcing sending unit gasket LEAKED, it leaked all Winter, about 8-10 gallons that all ended up in that Parker Fuel Tank Box and soaking into the foam. After leaking about 8-10 gallons there wasn’t enough fuel pressing hard enough against the gasket so it quit leaking. I bet if I had left the screw out a cup or so of gasoline would have leaked and then it would have stopped.

I still had 8 gallons of fuel in the BOX and that’s why the bilge kept slowly filling up with gasoline, it was the 8-10 gallons of fuel seeping out of that BOX.

The “problem” was as insignificant as a sending unit gasket that I could have fixed in 10 minutes after running the boat and burning up some fuel!

YES I am an idiot!

YES you would pressure tested the tank before cutting the deck and found the leak!

That still would not have stopped the 8-10 gallons of gasoline returning to the bilge day after day or given me peace of mind that my tank wasn’t leaking, as gasoline dripped into the bilge for however long it took for those 8 gallons trapped in the BOX to drip and evaporate till the box was eventually dry.

That BOX might keep the tank nice and cozy but it’s a rotten bastard as far as I am concerned for finding a fuel leak.

Fukc it I wasn’t gonna put a 15 year old fuel tank back in a deck that has to be cut to remove the fuel tank, so I had a new fuel tank fabricated. If anyone is looking for a tested 150 gallon Parker tank albeit 15 years old, I have one for sale.

Job is still not finished and I am pulling my hair out. Company offered a 1/2 pay leave May-August due to covid-19er and I took it figuring I could fish and now I don’t have a boat.

How’s that old Alanis Morissette song go again Isn’t It Ironic????

Hope someone can learn from my experience.

Note: Parker Boats was of absolutely ZERO help, called customer service and was not allowed to speak with anyone. I was given an Email Address, I sent a couple of Emails the first week of April, still no response. Local Parker Dealer was unable to look at the boat till after Memorial Day.

Reactions: Efx
Mpellet":1y5rdg3l said:
I am going to share my fuel tank story. It’s not a happy tale and gives me a $hitty feeling to tell but I am going to hoping maybe it helps another Parker Owner.

I filled up my fuel tank on my 2005 Parker 2520 XL prior to Winterization just like I have for the last 14 seasons. On 1 April (FOOLS) I pulled the cover to get my work started prior to launch. The plan was to install a new fancy VHF Radio and 2 new VHF antennas. As I am sitting in the wheelhouses deciding where to mount the radio , I smell gasoline. I open up the far aft hatch and there is a little fluid in the bilge, not unusual, perhaps 1/2 an inch. I sop it all up till as far as I can reach and see is dry. The fluid is a gasoline/water mix. Paper towels used to sop up the fluid smelled like gasoline but would not light on fire so I wasn’t panicking, thinking maybe it was just a small amount of gasoline that had seeped out of a hose fitting over the Winter.

The next day, HOPING for a dry bilge and fumes dissipating, I am crushed, more fluid in the bilge! This time the wet rags go up WOOSH! As in all gasoline. I sop up all the gasoline again. Next I remove both fill and vent hoses from the tank, no fuel coming out of either tank fitting. I check hoses, no leaks.

I go aft to the sending unit and remove 1 screw and gasoline squirts out the screw hole. I put the screw back in and wipe down the top of the tank carefully, no leaks around sending unit. I leave clean dry clean paper towels all around the area of the sending unit. Figuring I will leave them overnight and check to see if there is a slow leak around the sending unit.

I clean up all the gasoline in the bilge again.

Next morning the paper towels I left on the top of the tank, covering the sending unit are bone dry.

Look in the bilge, wet again pure gasoline :cry:

Boat is slightly elevated on trailer so cockpit will drain. I grab a wooden dowel, tape some paper towels to the end and stick it into the drain located in the V-berth floor. Pull the dowel out, paper towels soaking WET :cry: and yes it’s gasoline.

I dry out the bilge aft one more time, next morning it’s wet again with gasoline.

At this point I ASSume my tank HAS to have a hole in it.

CONVINCED that I have a fuel leak, I make the decision to have the tank pulled.

(Opportunity here for all the Monday Morning QBs to chime in to explain all of things they would have done before cutting the deck. YES you’re better then me, so lay it on if you like.)

I routinely fish 25 miles offshore, frequently alone other times with my son or life long friends. Water is sometime 40F never warmer then 70F.

I take my wife, kids and young Granddaughters out in this boat.

Again over the course of 4 days with nothing leaking from the top of the tank, I have raw gasoline in the bilge both aft and forward under the V-berth even with the boat slightly elevated.

At this point, I have lost confidence in the fuel tank and am not gonna put a friend or family member on the boat till this gasoline leak is resolved.

Gasoline gets pumped out, hole gets cut, tank gets pulled.

Tank looks VERY GOOD, no culprit, not even close.

However a Parker fuel tank sits in a “BOX” that is sealed, well mostly sealed. There was about 8 gallons of gasoline in the box.

Here is what happened, the fukcing sending unit gasket LEAKED, it leaked all Winter, about 8-10 gallons that all ended up in that Parker Fuel Tank Box and soaking into the foam. After leaking about 8-10 gallons there wasn’t enough fuel pressing hard enough against the gasket so it quit leaking. I bet if I had left the screw out a cup or so of gasoline would have leaked and then it would have stopped.

I still had 8 gallons of fuel in the BOX and that’s why the bilge kept slowly filling up with gasoline, it was the 8-10 gallons of fuel seeping out of that BOX.

The “problem” was as insignificant as a sending unit gasket that I could have fixed in 10 minutes after running the boat and burning up some fuel!
I'm having a similar issue now. The boat is a 2520 SL from 2005, 150 gallon tank with about 100 gallons in it now. I noticed fuel in the bilge late last fall, right after the boat came out of the water. It's worth noting that my sending unit has not worked for the last 10 years. I found that when the boat was pitched upwards (i.e. on the trailer at the ramp, on plane w/ tabs up, or going up a steep hill on the trailer), fuel ended up in the bilge and in the foam surrounding the tank. All hoses were replaced over the winter as I thought that was the issue, only to put the boat back in the water (yesterday) and instantly have more fuel in the bilge. It makes sense now that the sending unit could be the issue; will investigate.

I replaced the tank on my '97 2520 DVSC when it was only 8 years old. The previous owner had a leaky bait tank hose (installed on deck directly above fuel tank) so apparently that compartment became completely filled with saltwater. I believe once that foam gets saturated, it will never completely dry out. I was able to speak to an engineer at Parker and was told they had never heard of one of their tanks leaking. I sent several pictures of the main pin hole and several others that were almost full thickness holes. Parker offered to sell me a new tank at their cost and was shipped out on the next boat delivery to one of the closer dealers to me at the time. I thought it was interesting that they had never heard of a tank leaking because in my research, I found several guys who had gone through the same thing. I try to put the numbers out of my head but the fix was well beyond the 5K level. To add insult to injury, I had to have the deck redone a couple of years later because the deck developed several soft spots and dry rot issues in the repaired area.

I thought it was interesting that they had never heard of a tank leaking

Well.....While the boat was under warranty anyway. It's pretty much BS CYA crap.

My first question to that person is "How long have you been in the industry and worked for Parker?"

John_Madison CT":22ivo70e said:
Holy cow I didn't know that part of your story. I would have assumed the same as you, the tank was leaking.

John,

Here is what I recommend to hopefully avoid a situation like mine. EVERY time you fill up the fuel tank pull those inspection port covers and make sure you have nothing leaking out of the sending unit or hose connections when the tank is completely full. Takes less then a minute to accomplish and you can find the leak before that friggin “box” gets filled with gasoline or at least if the box does get gasoline in it, you will have an idea where it came from.

When you think about it checking those areas of the tank after filling is good for a lot of safety related issues and might save you a significant amount of $$ and lost time on the water.

If I had popped those covers in November, the day I last filled up before Winter Storage, I probably could have avoided all of this and saved myself thousands of $$ and more aggravation then I want it to think about.

Although I agree that it is a good policy to check under inspection plates when refueling, I have seen laid up boats with full tanks leak gas out of the fuel tank vent. My understanding is that is condition occurs by expansion due to temperature changes and the angle of the boat during storage. So, my point is gas may not leak out from the fuel sender gasket when refueling, but may leak after a period of expansion. Just a thought..
Ron

Ron t":611s8pjw said:
Although I agree that it is a good policy to check under inspection plates when refueling, I have seen laid up boats with full tanks leak gas out of the fuel tank vent. My understanding is that is condition occurs by expansion due to temperature changes and the angle of the boat during storage. So, my point is gas may not leak out from the fuel sender gasket when refueling, but may leak after a period of expansion. Just a thought..
Ron

If you read my post I said plateS. As in the plate covering the sending unit but also the other plater where vent and fill lines connect to the tank. If tank is filled till it sputters fuel out the vent, gasoline would be present at the tank to hose connections of vent & fill lines and you would see the leak.

Aging I have zero interest in arguing, don’t check if you don’t want to. My only reason for posting this wasn’t to share my superior wisdom because I am spending $5000+ and loosing a month of my season because of a $1 gasket. My situation could likely have been prevented if I had popped those covers and checked for seepage with the tank full and the bow slightly elevated on the trailer.

Once you get a few gallons of gasoline in that “BOX” you’re gonna have fuel leaking in the bilge for months regardless if you’ve fixed your leaking issues on the top of the tank or not and speaking for myself, with that box leaking gas, your somewhat screwed regardless if the tank is still leaking or not.

Reactions: Efx
I’m sorry that you misunderstood my intention. I started my post by agreeing with you that checking access plates is a good practice. In fact I do it all the time when refueling, checking for leaks or gas fumes before starting my engine.
I was trying to add an additional point that it is “possible” when filling your tank you may not see leaks because the fuel could settle back quickly and equalize in the tank before the leak is evident, ( leaving a small air space between the fuel in the tank and the hose connections and fuel sender gasket), whereas in another set of circumstances with fuel expansion pressurizing fuel at these fittings over a prolonged period of time during layup, then the fuel leak could occur. Some people like to fill their tank to the very top during winter storage for condensation reasons, I prefer to leave some space for expansion.
Thanks for sharing your experience with THT members. We all learn from these posts.

Back