Garmin Shuts down unexpectedly

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotflying

Reaction score
I know what the problem is, but I do not know how to fix it. If I make a transmission on my VHF my Garmin shits down. When I first got the boat I had this issue and the installer told me to move the negative for the Garmin to the other buss bar. It worked fine. What I just found out was that the other buss bar is for battery one. So I have never transmitted on the VHF using battery one until today and bingo, the same thing happened. So I switched over to battery two and everything works fine. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on and how to avoid this problem? I am out of warranty now and can probably hold the installer accountable, but it it is a simple fix it will be easier not to go through the hassle and I will do it myself.

I know what the problem is, but I do not know how to fix it. If I make a transmission on my VHF my Garmin shits down. When I first got the boat I had this issue and the installer told me to move the negative for the Garmin to the other buss bar. It worked fine. What I just found out was that the other buss bar is for battery one. So I have never transmitted on the VHF using battery one until today and bingo, the same thing happened. So I switched over to battery two and everything works fine. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on and how to avoid this problem? I am out of warranty now and can probably hold the installer accountable, but it it is a simple fix it will be easier not to go through the hassle and I will do it myself.
Hope your Garmin's wearing a diaper ☺

You have a Supply problem.......Now....Exactly what that is can't be told.....Because I can't see it or measure it. It's what YOU don't see or explain that are Important.

It is one of the reason's I push BEP Batt Clusters.

You see with your Perko switch you do Not have a dedicated House battery to run all House items....Electronics being one of them.

Which ever Batt you select 1 or 2.....The other just sits there.....The selected batt runs the engine and all House functions.

When reading your post....Initially...I figured someone shared a circuit that was overpowered when Transmit was hit.

With a BEP....The Start batt is just to run the engine.....The House runs everything else....and with them seperate......With electronics ON.....and you hit the key to start the engine....you don't get a voltage drop on the electronics and spike them.

The problem as I see it is only when the engine is running. I will try to see if it happens when off. It definitely happens with the battery on the negative buss I am attached to. I have only two batteries and as you may know and the switch is either 1 or 2 and then both. I have not tried to transmit when on both. I also have transmitted at 25w and not 5w. Also, if I am on number 2, no problem. If I switch to number 1 I have the problem. If I switch the ground then the problem is reverse.

Your batteries should be grounded together with the positive cables going through the battery switch.

Your electrical system needs a good groom.

First of all, there should be no difference at the helm as far as which battery is online. The selector switch simply chooses which of the two batteries (or both of them) is powering the system. Downstream from the switch, the circuit should be exactly the same regardless of which battery is selected. The only exception is a “24 hour” circuit that is powered directly from the battery through a fuse, although there should be very few things hooked up to that circuit- bilge pumps, stereo memory, maybe a CO detector if applicable.

Second, as others have mentioned, all of your negatives should be connected. I’m not sure why you have two, other than perhaps one was added to increase capacity. Regardless, they should all be connected at the main negative bus (ideally) or at the battery negative post (more common). The negative posts on the batteries should also be connected. So as far as the negative side goes, the position of the switch is completely irrelevant (assuming things are wired correctly).

Where are you located? There are several members on here who operate repair services who may be able to offer you some assistance. If not, there are many others who are pretty proficient who may be willing to lend a hand.

Your electrical system needs a good groom.

First of all, there should be no difference at the helm as far as which battery is online. The selector switch simply chooses which of the two batteries (or both of them) is powering the system. Downstream from the switch, the circuit should be exactly the same regardless of which battery is selected. The only exception is a “24 hour” circuit that is powered directly from the battery through a fuse, although there should be very few things hooked up to that circuit- bilge pumps, stereo memory, maybe a CO detector if applicable.

Second, as others have mentioned, all of your negatives should be connected. I’m not sure why you have two, other than perhaps one was added to increase capacity. Regardless, they should all be connected at the main negative bus (ideally) or at the battery negative post (more common). The negative posts on the batteries should also be connected. So as far as the negative side goes, the position of the switch is completely irrelevant (assuming things are wired correctly).

Where are you located? There are several members on here who operate repair services who may be able to offer you some assistance. If not, there are many others who are pretty proficient who may be willing to lend a hand.
I have the boat in Charlestown RI. I have to spend some time looking at how things are connected and ensure that obvious issues are not the cause. The boat is a 2021 so I am fairly confident that corrosion is not an issue. When brand new I coated every connection with corrosion block as well.

that happened to me. It was a loose ground spade connector where it meets the buss bar.

I have the boat in Charlestown RI. I have to spend some time looking at how things are connected and ensure that obvious issues are not the cause. The boat is a 2021 so I am fairly confident that corrosion is not an issue. When brand new I coated every connection with corrosion block as well.
I think you can try connecting the two ground busses together to see if it resolves.

Back