Generations of Parkers-The Tradition Continues.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-K

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having been in the Parker family since 2016. I feel like I’ve learned a few things about the company, boats, the Parker family and the new management. Even the workers and engineers.

I’ve been very impressed with the fiberglass work, and the strength of the boat. While there is no such thing as a perfect boat. I feel the strength, seaworthiness, and the fiberglass quality are Parker’s best attributes.

I know of a 2007 2530 that has ran out of Westport Washington it’s whole life, been a rough water ocean boat it’s whole life. It’s deep into hours on its second set of engines, and has zero stress cracks.

When the Parker’s were at the helm. I enjoyed the social media interactions with Robin. Learning about the company origins and watching Linwoods videos on boat construction. He seems like a natural boat builder and natural industrialist. The Parker’s also seem like genuine good people.

I’ve also learned about the Carolina boat building industry. Lots of awesome boats are built there. I kind of think of it like how Detroit was for the automotive industry.

As the new generations of Parker’s start rolling out the factories and showing up at boat shows across the country. I ponder the history of the Parker Boats.

I believe it goes something like this. Please make corrections if you feel inclined. I’m learning too.

Generation 1-Commercial fishing vessels and commercial working skiffs. Mostly wood construction and some fiberglass. This era was the late 60s and 70s.

Generation 2-Shallow draft working skiffs and sportfishing boats. Late 70s.

Generation 3-Probably starts in the 80s. The emergence of pilot house sport fishing boats and center consoles. Heavy fiberglass encapsulated wood construction carried over from their commercial heritage. Mostly shallow deadrise.

Generation 4-Late 90s. Deep V models. Continue with the fiberglass over wood methods.

Generation 5-Looks to be a continuance of sportfishing boats but with family amities. Discontinue the use of wood coring.

I’m not stating what I wrote above is 100% correct. But from what I’ve heard over the years, I think it’s somewhat close. I think the history of Parker is pretty cool.

It would be interesting to get a little history of the company. It’s kind of scattered around the internet in random places.

I know Parker has a cult like following. I personally known some guys who have owned 3 or more.

I also know that there are some, who have been on this site for a long time. You guys probably have some interesting things to say.

Tight lines!
E8BBAC7D-4C7E-44B2-9DD7-643548024F80.jpeg

A-K,

I think your history is pretty accurate. I have been a Parker owner for 27 years and currently own 2 - a 1990 1800 Sport with a 2018 Mercury 115 four-stroke and a 2019 2520 XLD with twin 200 Yamahas. Nansemond Marine in Suffolk, VA used to be our local Parker dealer and rigged and sold many of them in the late 80's and early 90's, mostly with Mercury or Mariner power (they weren't factory rigged in those days, so you saw all kinds of power options). All the local watermen were running Parkers and that's what initially attracted me to the brand - tough, no nonsense, traditional looks and great reputation. It took me a couple years to find a used one as nobody would let go of them. I scored my 1800 in April 1996 and she still gives me a thrill every time I climb aboard. That boat has been through some tough situations and always brought me home safe.

I too miss the Parker family and their commitment to building classicly styled boats of great quality. I will remain cautiously optimistic for what the future holds with the new ownership.

Cap'n Dan

@DanLovingood

27 years is quite a long time to be in the Parker family. Thanks for your post.

Like you. One of the things that attracted me to Parker was the no-nonsense construction.

The Hull completely cures then the stringers are glasses to the hull. The hull and stringers cures again. THEN the hull is removed from the mold 😎

Last edited:
I’ve owned the same Parker 2520SL since 2006. I purchased the boat from a 93 year old man who bought it new in 2005 and put 39 hours on it. Boat came with a Yamaha F225 that I ran for 1800+ hours. The Yamaha dropped a valve in September of 2018 while turning 4800 RPMs and made some really bad noises for a second or two and that was that. I hung a brand new 2019 Suzuki DF300APXX (WHITE) so far 840+ hours on the new engine. The boat is sitting on the trailer beside my house looking spiffy for her age, cleaned up & waxed. I try to get her as clean and shinny as possible before the Spring launch. Tomorrow will be the finishing touches, repainting the water line, replacing zincs on the trim tabs and reinstalling the propeller and she will be ready to go. I fish the boat hard and keep up on maintenance if anything needs replacing during the season but she won’t be this clean again until next Spring. If all goes as planned, the boat will be in till late November with a haul some time in July for a couple hours to change out the gear oil & engine oil.

My Son and I worked on her for about 8 hours today and both noted for a 19 year old boat that has served as an offshore dive and fishing platform, she looks remarkable. It’s a big enough boat to suit my fishing needs which take me 30-50 miles offshore but small enough that I can handle the boat solo which I frequently do. We can self launch, haul and store the boat in my driveway over the Winter which is very convenient.

There are days when I complain about the ride but I’ve never seriously considered replacing her with anything else. Not a perfect boat but a darn good one. Good Lord willing, I’m hoping to keep running this same Parker for a long time to come….👍👍

@DanLovingood

27 years is quite a long time to be in the Parker family. Thanks for your post.

Like you. One of the things that attracted me to Parker was the no-nonsense construction.

The Hull completely cures then the stringers are glasses to the hull. The hull and stringers cures again. THEN the hull is removed from the mold 😎
I bought my first 2520 Pilothouse in 1999, a 2520 XL in 2005 and went back to a center console 23SE w/F200 inline 4 which likely will be my last boat. When I bought my first Parker they were rarely seen in my area, now there are many. I'm a fisherman and the Parkers have worked well for my needs after I learned how they handled. I've taken long trips in heavy seas in my 25XL w/full transom and have been uncomfortable a few times but never felt like it was dangerous. I learned with my 23SE I need to pick my days a little more carefully with the open OB cut out vs full transom and a boat half the weight of my XL in steep following seas. Early in my first season with the 23SE I made the wrong call and went west across LI Sound with a heavy east wind. Twice a huge following wave stuffed our bow when we got in the trough and lifted the stern out of the water. After 20 years owning 25ft Pilothouses I expected too much of the 23 SE. Forty years navigating LIS and the only time I felt in peril. No fault of the boat, just a dumb decision for a guy with a captains license.

I bought my first 2520 Pilothouse in 1999, a 2520 XL in 2005 and went back to a center console 23SE w/F200 inline 4 which likely will be my last boat. When I bought my first Parker they were rarely seen in my area, now there are many. I'm a fisherman and the Parkers have worked well for my needs after I learned how they handled. I've taken long trips in heavy seas in my 25XL w/full transom and have been uncomfortable a few times but never felt like it was dangerous. I learned with my 23SE I need to pick my days a little more carefully with the open OB cut out vs full transom and a boat half the weight of my XL in steep following seas. Early in my first season with the 23SE I made the wrong call and went west across LI Sound with a heavy east wind. Twice a huge following wave stuffed our bow when we got in the trough and lifted the stern out of the water. After 20 years owning 25ft Pilothouses I expected too much of the 23 SE. Forty years navigating LIS and the only time I felt in peril. No fault of the boat, just a dumb decision for a guy with a captains license.

I’ve ran my 2320 in very big following seas. And you you stated I have felt uncomfortable for a sec, but that hull has never displayed any unsafe characteristics.

One of the factors in why I choose Parker is the build process. The hull stays in the mold until full cure of the stringers. The stringers are fully fiber glassed to the hull not just glued.

I’ve ran my 2320 in very big following seas. And you you stated I have felt uncomfortable for a sec, but that hull has never displayed any unsafe characteristics.

One of the factors in why I choose Parker is the build process. The hull stays in the mold until full cure of the stringers. The stringers are fully fiber glassed to the hull not just glued.
My last three boats have been Parkers for the reasons you mentioned and more. My 23SE should not have been out in those huge waves. All boats have their limitations and I pushed those limits when I shouldn't have. Took the 2520XL out for a fishing tournament against a 30 knot east wind 25 miles and back but I couldn't have done it with the 23SE. I'm totally OK with that and love the boat.

Reactions: A-K
AK,

Great picture, nice to see a boat actually being used! For better or worse, I frequently find myself being the only one coming back from offshore on a sporty day, smiling as I pass the hundreds of shiny center consoles glued to the sandbar like limpets.

As a testament to my 2320, last year during red snapper season, the seas started getting dicey in the afternoon, but I looked around and saw a few other boats still out and figured I'd push it a little longer. Well to my surprise, as I was getting pounded heading back through the inlet and questioning how anyone else was out there, the other boats caught and passed me...not a one was under 35 feet and they were out for a tournament. Contender, Yellowfin, Freeman...and my plucky Parker, braving the heady seas.

As an aside, I will say, I'm not a Freeman fan due to the association with the "nouveau riche" down here in FL, but watching that boat glide through choppy 4-5 foot seas at close to 40kts like a hot knife through butter was a sight to behold...

Great reading… I bought my 1994 1800 5 years ago from a gentleman down the street from me. My neighbor was friendly with him and mentioned to me he was about to sell it. Obviously I jumped at the opportunity. I knew the boat was well maintained by the original owner. Always saw him cleaning the boat after every trip since he would always trailer it. Never in a slip or bottom painted until I purchased it and this will only be the 4 th season being in a slip. It originally had a 1994 85HP Yamaha that I got about a year and half use out of. Re powered with a 90 HP Suzuki. Great engine… not a speed demon but push’s the boat nicely and fuel economy is fantastic. I live in NJ and leave my marina out of Atlantic Highlands. I take the boat to the middle ground areas for Mai,Bluefin as well as the inshore fluke , stripers.. etc. I have no problem taking that “ little big” boat to the middle bluefin grounds. Obviously I am very safety conscious and have several safety features on board. Survival raft, Epirb, ditch bag, etc.I have been out when the weather men get the forecast wrong and never feel unsafe. Pass few years I “customized “ it and it looks great and performs great. Boat definitely was and is still maintained to the highest standards. Definitely does not act like a “little” boat. Found the picture from one of the guys on this site in the 1994 Parker brochure. Anyway have a great season guys. Catch them up!

Attachments

• CC71BD37-B93E-4104-B65A-8FE6A793C9DB.jpeg
    CC71BD37-B93E-4104-B65A-8FE6A793C9DB.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 86C5EE02-F627-479A-9AF4-E33565D4BF4E.png
    86C5EE02-F627-479A-9AF4-E33565D4BF4E.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 1
  • D378CAE2-877A-4905-A999-5F662F1D00D7.png
    D378CAE2-877A-4905-A999-5F662F1D00D7.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 2
Back