GPS/Sonar Glare

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SommerTime

Reaction score
Hi everyone;
I have a 2520XL and have a Lowrance GPS/Sonar mounted just in front of my steering. Even though the GPS has three levels of display brightness, at the lowest brightness and navigating in the dark, the glare from the display is too much. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to further decrease the brightness but still be able to use it to navigate. I checked the Lowrance Web site could not find anything or find where I could pose the question. Any ideas?

SommerTime

Go on-line and buy some of that thin clear removable plastic that is used to protect screens of PDAs and such. Cut to fit your GPS screen. At least that's what I have read on The Hull Truth to do ...

SommerTime":1pihqofm said:
Even though the GPS has three levels of display brightness, at the lowest brightness and navigating in the dark, the glare from the display is too much. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to further decrease the brightness but still be able to use it to navigate.

I have a Furuno FCV-600L that can be a little too bright at night too.
What I've done is to toss an old cotton dish towel over it at night. The fabric cuts down on the amount of light in your eyes, but you can still see the display well enough through the fabric to navigate. Low tech... but it works. :)

Image-0EC282D7F14A11D8.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Dale, I put the PurpleMoo screen protector on my Garmin 2010c and while it does protect the anti-glare screen material from finger marks and such, it doesn't reduce the amout of light transmitted through it, which I believe is what SommerTime was looking for.

Thanks Dale & Megabyte for your suggestions. In line with Megabyte's suggestion, I wonder if you used black window screen if that would work. You could build a wooden frame to fit around the edges of the machine to hold the black screen and could then easily remove it for daylight use.
It is could to get some ideas that make you get onto the correct trak even though you end up not using the suggested solution.
Thanks All

SommerTime

SommerTime":1fqsguz1 said:
I wonder if you used black window screen if that would work. You could build a wooden frame to fit around the edges of the machine to hold the black screen and could then easily remove it for daylight use.

I think it would absolutely work!
Give it a go and let us know how it works! :wink:

Back