Has anyone installed an Armstrong bracket?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBH2OMan

Reaction score
I'm particularly interested if you switched from the original Stainless Marine bracket on an older Parker to a newer Armstrong bracket. But I'm also interested in ANY experience working with Armstrong on a new bracket.

I'm planning another re-power (I can't believe its been 10 years already on this Honda 225!). Got a deal I can't pass up on a new Honda 250, but it has a 30" shaft. My plan is to have Armstrong make me a new bracket with more flotation as well as a taller mount to accommodate a 30" shaft and get the powerhead up out of the water.

I'm curious regarding people's experience with Armstrong in general, and also with any advice regarding filling the holes in the transom from the old bracket and installing a new one.

Thanks,

Brent

It would need to be VERY good deal on the new Honda 250 30" to warrant such a modification. Or maybe you are having major problems with the 25" shaft and powerhead getting routinely "dunked"?

I run a 25" shaft on a 23 DV and the original Stainless Marine bracket and don't have any problems with the powerhead getting wet despite lots of power-drifting while fishing in 400ft of water (this is holding the boat in place in reverse)

It would need to be VERY good deal on the new Honda 250 30" to warrant such a modification. Or maybe you are having major problems with the 25" shaft and powerhead getting routinely "dunked"?

I run a 25" shaft on a 23 DV and the original Stainless Marine bracket and don't have any problems with the powerhead getting wet despite lots of power-drifting while fishing in 400ft of water (this is holding the boat in place in reverse)

$6,000 off the new motor. Yea good deal. I’ve wanted to replace the bracket for years hoping that more flotation would cure the one and only thing I don’t like about this boat - standing in 2” deep water while fishing because the scuppers are under water.

I posted pix in another thread that show the power head getting washed by water (I’m on my phone now so tough to link back to that post)

with regard to Armstrong, theweren’t particularly helpful. Sent me a generic brochure and a spec sheet with a bunch of measurements and told me “fill that out, send it in, and then we’ll talk”. I have to haul out the boat to take all the measurements so I’m just doing some interim sleuthing while I coordinate the haul out.

it’s going to be expensive but I figure with having put in a new fuel tank last season and now re-powering we might as well go all in and do it “right”. I just want to increase the odds of being happy with the result...

I wonder if you could build a custom fit sump pit in bilge and feed in both deck drains to it and add 2000 gph pump with float switch. Fwiw I have same boat with Stainless Marine bracket with 2002 Yamaha F225. It sits low but doesn't get dunked usually and deck gets wet some times usually when we have 3 people or more and extra gear. I have no clue how much a larger bracket would help. Maybe other bracket like Stainless will help you

Well, I went through an Armstrong Bracket replacement. Before you start this project be aware that you will have to cut a section out of the cockpit sole in order to reach the bolts that are hidden. Also be aware that the bolt holes will most likely NOT line up with the new bracket. Therefor you will have to fill the old holes and drill new ones. Am I painting an ugly picture? That's because it is! I suggest that you try to modify your existing bracket to accomplish your goals. Also the added weight of the larger Honda will not help. By the way, I have a 2830 from the factory with twin F225's on an Armstrong bracket and when I stand in the back corner I'm standing in 2" water also. Good Luck

Thank you. While this is bad news, it’s exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Cutting the sole out (again) is probably a non-starter. So I think instead I might have some aluminum pods fabricated that attach to the existing bracket in order to provide more flotation.

now I just have to decide about the 30” shaft and whether I want to use an adapter plate or replace the shaft and lower unit cover... hmm.....

$6,000 off the new motor. Yea good deal. I’ve wanted to replace the bracket for years hoping that more flotation would cure the one and only thing I don’t like about this boat - standing in 2” deep water while fishing because the scuppers are under water.

I posted pix in another thread that show the power head getting washed by water (I’m on my phone now so tough to link back to that post)

with regard to Armstrong, theweren’t particularly helpful. Sent me a generic brochure and a spec sheet with a bunch of measurements and told me “fill that out, send it in, and then we’ll talk”. I have to haul out the boat to take all the measurements so I’m just doing some interim sleuthing while I coordinate the haul out.

it’s going to be expensive but I figure with having put in a new fuel tank last season and now re-powering we might as well go all in and do it “right”. I just want to increase the odds of being happy with the result...
24E3874D-5296-4A20-8EE5-22EA4CB69D34.jpeg

My 1997 2520 has a 30” 350 V8 Yamaha on the Stainless Marine bracket with plate extension, work fine no issues. I’ve heard folks say “extra flotation” from bracket! Please tell me how that works. Mathematically by volume of air and weight of boat will increase extra height of boat out of water?

Attachments

• 22F290C3-BBF3-4EB4-9F1C-5439744B8887.jpeg
    22F290C3-BBF3-4EB4-9F1C-5439744B8887.jpeg
    801.8 KB · Views: 26
View attachment 25963

My 1997 2520 has a 30” 350 V8 Yamaha on the Stainless Marine bracket with plate extension, work fine no issues. I’ve heard folks say “extra flotation” from bracket! Please tell me how that works. Mathematically by volume of air and weight of boat will increase extra height of boat out of water?

thanks for that info. I like that platform across the top of your bracket (ours doesn’t have that). The 30” shaft motor actually looks perfect and seems like it is a better fit than with a 25”.

WRT flotation - The idea is the same idea that causes a boat to float - Archimedes’s Principle (displacement). If something displaces a greater mass of liquid than its own mass, it will float. If you grab on to an empty 55 gallon drum on land it will be very heavy. But I guarantee adding them to a wooden raft makes it float better! Same idea, but those drums are being added to the bracket in the form of greater volume.

thanks for that info. I like that platform across the top of your bracket (ours doesn’t have that). The 30” shaft motor actually looks perfect and seems like it is a better fit than with a 25”.

WRT flotation - The idea is the same idea that causes a boat to float - Archimedes’s Principle (displacement). If something displaces a greater mass of liquid than its own mass, it will float. If you grab on to an empty 55 gallon drum on land it will be very heavy. But I guarantee adding them to a wooden raft makes it float better! Same idea, but those drums are being added to the bracket in the form of greater volume.
I'm particularly interested if you switched from the original Stainless Marine bracket on an older Parker to a newer Armstrong bracket. But I'm also interested in ANY experience working with Armstrong on a new bracket.

I'm planning another re-power (I can't believe its been 10 years already on this Honda 225!). Got a deal I can't pass up on a new Honda 250, but it has a 30" shaft. My plan is to have Armstrong make me a new bracket with more flotation as well as a taller mount to accommodate a 30" shaft and get the powerhead up out of the water.

I'm curious regarding people's experience with Armstrong in general, and also with any advice regarding filling the holes in the transom from the old bracket and installing a new one.

Thanks,

Brent

Good luck Brent.
The stainless marine bracket is an excellent bracket. If I had to buy one they would be my first choice. Of course I’m from Miami and grew up in Opa Locka. 😎 And have been to the factory, also knew one great engineer there!
That was many years ago and lots of new companies are making great marine products. One thing about flotation, to get the most lift if any at all seems like the bracket would have to be level with boat bottom?

One thing about flotation, to get the most lift if any at all seems like the bracket would have to be level with boat bottom?

No..... But wider...Yes I always through the Stainless Marine bracket on the 2530 I had was not enough....or could have used improvement.....But here is the thing....The beam is wider than most boats and it helps to offset the 18in wide tub.....I've done a lot with brackets over the years on different boats... 30in wide tub was what I'd shoot for on a single engine.

This subject could go Way in depth with me....Granted the tub could go to the bottom of the hull... It works, but the step difference is to make water rise, thus being able to raise the engine.

These people built mine for my Mako.....Their website has more info than any other bracket company Transom Brackets Custom Made by D&D Marine

Back