Having trouble keeping fish in my boat at gaff please help!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blubby07

Reaction score
Went out with some good friends and got into the tuna.
Total count for the day 21 yfin 1 dodo.
Checkout my buddy's gaffing "skils"
My poor buddy Andre lost 3 fish and looks like someone peed in his Cheerios he has the Orange hat on.
Enjoy, I think it embodies why we fish, to have fun with good friends and make lifelong memories!

https://youtu.be/sdUmXUmnpSg

Wow. Where to start?

You might consider just "bouncing" those peanuts-- no gaff needed. Are you saying the fellow with the orange cap had 3 knocked off by the gaff? I'd be looking sad, too if that happened to me. And I'd be bouncing all the fish I could.

It's hard to see the business end of that gaff in the video, but it looks like it might be kinda open, perhaps.

All those swings and misses... Whoa. That could really test a friendship!

jzumi":66rwqto8 said:
Wow. Where to start?

You might consider just "bouncing" those peanuts-- no gaff needed. Are you saying the fellow with the orange cap had 3 knocked off by the gaff? I'd be looking sad, too if that happened to me. And I'd be bouncing all the fish I could.

It's hard to see the business end of that gaff in the video, but it looks like it might be kinda open, perhaps.

All those swings and misses... Whoa. That could really test a friendship!
Peanuts?
Man I wanna fish where your at!
That fish was right at 30!
You bounce those guys?
Good for you but they won't bite more than 40 here

My buddy in the hat had bad line as he lost 5 before going to a different setup.
Not due to the gaff, in fact we didn't lose any to the gaff, just thought some might enjoy a moment I thought was funny!
Are these penuts where you live?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 344
Great video. Good to see people having a fun time. What day was that? It looked glass smooth out.

We may have "Peanuts" out here but at least we only need one motor and a couple of gallons of gas to get to the fishing grounds!

I think all the guys on the east coast are used to "wicked tuna" size :roll: :lol: :D

Funny video! He's putting the gaff way too deep in the water

Tail Shots will always make them shake like that.

Just behind the head for better control.

Practice makes perfect…. If this were #5 I would say be patient. If it were #50 I would say let somebody else handle the gaff. :>)

Why not net them? We use a big net on catfish here in the James River on catfish up to 100#. Cats that big are catch and release though.

Great video. I have a pizza tonight and will just have to dream of the stakes you must have.

For that size there may not be enough meat in the tail to hang onto. I wonder if any had just rip'd it out ?

Try this.

Bring the fish the gaff the best you can, not the gaff to the fish. Thats what harpoons work well for.

some gaff areas to try:

Think as if pulling upward from underneath into the "chin" area
Swing down in the Gill plate area, then pull up
stick and yank upward an eye

keep the videos coming, love the bloody deck

Oy Vey, that man is fired! The gaff does look a little bit opened (bent) Buy a new 6' aftco gaff and always aim for the head, you ruin less meat that way.

Back