Hello All

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inboard Parker

Reaction score
Just found this forum and ive been reading for the past few hours now. A lot of usefull information.
We own (what apears to be) one of the rare Parkers. Its a 1993 2520 DVSC Inboard (5.7 Mercruiser) with a V-drive. Clearly not the quickest Parker out there but a great boat none the less.

Inboard Parker? Oh yea... We need photos of that one.

Have you seen the photos of the inboard that we had at the Annapolis Rendezvous?

Megabyte":221n0e1b said:
Inboard Parker? Oh yea... We need photos of that one.

Have you seen the photos of the inboard that we had at the Annapolis Rendezvous?

I have not seen that pic............any link avail?

Working on posting a few pics soon too.

Inboard Parker":2u5n4esx said:
Inboard Parker? Oh yea... We need photos of that one. I have not seen that pic............any link avail?
Here are the links:
This one here, 3rd & 4th photos from the recent Chessie' Rendezvous and then from Dave's "Introduce Yourself" post right here.

Here's the info:
Introducing the "Knot Many". She's a 1996 2520 with a true inboard gas motor. The engine is a 7.4 Liter freshwater-cooled Mercruiser, powered via a Hurth V-drive transmission, spinning a 1.5' shaft to an 18" prop. This boat also has a heater in the cabin which runs off the engine coolant system.

Here are the photos :) :
dscn0494_124.jpg

Image-CBA350B82B2A11DB.jpg

Image-78F7F23E2B2B11DB.jpg

Cool pic's ........ looks familar!

Here's a few of ours. My personal opinion is that the 7.4 should have been the only straight inboard motor ever offered. I gotta believe that some of the reasoning they got rid or the inboard is the lower performance they offer.

Pic's:

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 5,403
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 5,403
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 5,403
Inboard Parker, Nice looking boat. I own the one in the pictures Dale posted. Always wonder what she would look like with a swim platform. What kind of performance does the 5.7 give you ? Dave

Knot Many":2wlbywvu said:
Inboard Parker, Nice looking boat. I own the one in the pictures Dale posted. Always wonder what she would look like with a swim platform. What kind of performance does the 5.7 give you ? Dave

Funny, that was going to be my exact question to you.

We are currently having a motor issue so our performance is wayyyy down. We have two cylinders that are showing low compression and we plan on doing a leak down test later this week. It had a mid to upper teens cruise b4 the problems. We had a gasket between the risers and the manafolds go and water entered the cylinders and i believe that is when some damage happened to the valves.(the leak down will show what exactly is going on). This hydro-lock of the motor happened a few years ago and we gotta believe that is why the power is down. The motor runs awsome with the bad compression in the two cylinders and we never really pushed our MPH quest so we didnt really think we were having a problem. But, this year we had a heavy load on and when we wanted to run a bit we were having trouble.......so the search began!

SO a few questions! How does the 7.4 run (speed wise, WOT and cruise? How much bow rise do you get when your on plane? And, did you change trim tabs or still running the stock tabs?

Its nice to see somebody with a inboard and it will be nice to run questions that we may run across with each other.

Inboard Parker":1t5zsxvu said:
My personal opinion is that the 7.4 should have been the only straight inboard motor ever offered.

So far as gas motors are concerned, you may be correct.
Do we have any CP members with a small-block inboard we could compare numbers with :?:

After looking at Daves boat during the ClassicParker Annapolis Rendezvous, I got to wondering what that boat would be like with a 315 Yanmar diesel in her. 8)

Inboard Parker,
Some answers to your questions.
Depending on the sea conditions I normally run about 24 mph at 3000-3200 rpm, burning around 12-14 gph. She tops out in the low 30's.
The boat still has the stock trim tabs. The bow will rise, but I don't no what is normal as this is the only 2520 I've been on.

Dave,

Thanks, thats good info.

I dont really know how hight the bow is 'supposed' to rise when underway myself. It just seems higher than other boats.

Well, we found what we believe was the problem.......still havent done the leak down (friend with leak down tester says tomorrow) but we believe that its in the valves. Reason being......we took off the manafolds and risers and found even though the gaskets were perfect we were getting water (reversion) into the center two cylinders. The inside of the manafold on the problem side was corroeded pretty bad. We got information that the original risers from Mercruiser had a tendency to have a small crack in the seam which allowed water to get sucked back into the motor during the valve overlap. The risers are stainless steel and looked in great shape, but we have been told that because the two parts (manafold and risers) were made of different materials (cast and stainless) that when heated the metals would act differently and cause a crack. Also told that mercruiser only used the stainless risers for two years.
We ended up getting two new risers and two new manafolds(only 1 was really bad but......if doing one....might as well do both).
Tomorrow is the leak down but a quick check with some oil showed that the exhaust valves were not holding so it looks like it will be the exhaust side......time will tell! Should have the heads off tomorrow (hoping cylinders are good) and go from there.

Knot Many,
Another question........do you know your size of your prop. I think we are under propped as well. Spinning more RPM's with a hurt motor than we should, so once healthy it should spin even better.

Thanks

Well.........going from bad to worse! LOL

Motor is Junk! Leakdown test showed major problems and was confirmed but pulling the head. The water that leaked into the riser and ultimatley into the motor casued major damage. Its obviously been happening for some time now. The cylinders, piston and rings are damaged bad.

So.....its new motor time! Not pleased but just gotta move on forward. We will get a new 350CI motor......with slightly more HP than original. The boat will be better in spring. For this year.......the season is over!

...For this year.......the season is over!...

Sorry to hear that.

It would be interesting to see some pics of the motor mounting area with the motor removed. I've always wondered how they mount those things.

BTW, with the motor mounts down close to the hull, where to they put the fuel tanks in that Parker? Two tanks I'd assume. How much fuel does she carry?

Porkchunker":13izy3zt said:
...For this year.......the season is over!...

BTW, with the motor mounts down close to the hull, where to they put the fuel tanks in that Parker? Two tanks I'd assume. How much fuel does she carry?

The motor isnt actually as low as you'd think. Look at the size of the motor box. Its a V drive so the motor is facing backwards and a bit above normal inboard applications. Take a look at the picuture above in this thread (knot many's boat).
The fuel tanks are on each side of the motor. 150 gallons total (75/side) You can also see the access ports in that same picture.

Inboard, Too bad about your motor. Good luck with the repower. Are you going to do the work youself ? I have a 18x17 4 blade prop on my inboard.

Dave,

Yes, we are doing the work. Almost have the motor ready to be pulled. If i spend just a bit more time on it it will be ready to pull. I just need to rig up something to hold the V-drive up when i unbolt it.
I have a friend who is a Jasper Engine dealer and they offer marine engines with a two season warranty. He is just waiting for me to give the nod and we will have it. Planning on waiting a couple of months before we buy (prob after the holidays). We will pull the motor bring it to the garage and put it on a engine stand and put the new one on another engine stand and convert the parts over. Going to do as much as i can in the garage to make the install easier. Good thing is that the new marine motor comes with new tin's(valve covers, oil pan, timing cover). We will need to change over the intake, dist., fuel pump, water pump, ect...

BTW....that prop is huge comparied to ours. They sent me paperwork saying that we need a 15 X 13 (3 blade). I dont think that is going to be the right prop so I plan on doing soem testing when we get going next spring.

Back