HELP Cabin Carpet Removal

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate the carpet in my 2003. I think taking it out and gelcoating will be the answer to me as well. Thansks for the pics. I looked at 2002 without carpet and ordered mine that way but they said it was not optional anymore and in 2003 carpet was mandatory. I have hated it since 2003.... It's not bad in the bunk area but bad around the seating area.

Here’s what I did on ceiling; 1/2 inch beaded PVC. Heavy duty; cleans up nice; and fits real well with the pilot house look. Also on my back wall, I used waterproof flooring; there’s a variety of luxe and it really jazzed up my pilot house. A35768B3-00BE-4A9B-A5C4-D4D4193E318A.jpeg

Thank you Bill, the gel coat was brushed in the corners and rolled on the flat. I am fortunate to have a son and his buddy who are pretty good with fiber glass and gel coat. I prepped it and they did the fairing and finishing. Yes there is a bit more noise. I notice the chop hitting the bow more than engine noise. We can still talk to one another without shouting. My Parker has the open back in the wheel house, (drop curtains, no door) so it might have been noisier than a closed back to begin with.

Thank you. I appreciate the information.

That looks great, nice work! thanks for sharing the pictures. I would love to pull out the monkey fur and apply gel coat.

I was thinking the same thing after building and cabinet and spraying it with white raptor bedliner paint from Amazon. Beautiful stuff. The down side is the overspray with the supplied gun. You can reduce it and use a LP gun, but I think it reduces the texture which I like. Once it's on, it's on. Now if you can brush or roll, which I haven't checked in yet, it may be the bomb. Nice texture and soft to the touch. About any color you'd like. Three part solution that includes the tint. A little expensive, but it will be there forever. I can get some close up pictures for the texture in anyone likes. The texture can be govern by air pressure, coats and thinning.

Attachments

• 20200821_181859.jpg
    20200821_181859.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 78
  • 20200821_182201.jpg
    20200821_182201.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • 20200821_182820.jpg
    20200821_182820.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
Reactions: Ana
Well I heard back from LineX. The sales guy I sent pics to gave me an estimate of $11,000. That’s right 11k to spray the inside of a 2120. He said it would take a lot to tape and cover the boat because of overspray. I’m thinking of getting into the taping bidness. I’m pretty good at wrapping Christmas presents and I pride myself on being trainable.
Ok, enough of that. It will be gelcoat over the glass inside. I finished pulling carpet today. Everything was going along well until I got to the underside on the sides down in the V berth. There a different type of adhesive was used. It is damn tough and had to chisel out most of it. I suppose the carpet that is under the console will remain in place. As well as the carpet that is behind the window frames. I’m not going to pull the windows yet. I’ll try to post pics as I’m working on it. Need to hire a camera person.45A8C8F9-184F-44EC-9FEF-BD2083B37569.jpegA715246F-AD04-4BA0-ACB2-7F1487A85431.jpeg0E9030F1-E898-4EEC-B170-85FC965A8B0E.jpeg

Wow! $11K!!!!! I guess he meant to say he didn't want to do it!!!! They aren't big on tape as they got overspray all over my new truck when they did the bedliner. Taping is time consuming but anyone could do it well. The challenge is getting that quality product to spray. Looks like gelcoat for me too then. I never liked the carpet myself.

B497AFD3-ADBC-4ECB-ABCD-C3AB22A5E79B.jpeg0EA9B842-0356-4D31-BC56-4AFC242ADD1D.jpeg1F7B8CA4-B500-49FE-99E3-0F882BAF6883.jpeg
Made some headway today. My dad grabbed an angle grinder with the wheel pictured above and told me to try it. GAME CHANGER. No more scrapping adhesive off with remover. Gotta have a mask and eye protection with this guy. I walked into the house and was immediately told to go back outside and strip. Your gonna wear it home. But it works beautifully for getting the surfaces ready for gelcoat.

Well I heard back from LineX. The sales guy I sent pics to gave me an estimate of $11,000. That’s right 11k to spray the inside of a 2120. He said it would take a lot to tape and cover the boat because of overspray. I’m thinking of getting into the taping bidness. I’m pretty good at wrapping Christmas presents and I pride myself on being trainable.
Ok, enough of that. It will be gelcoat over the glass inside. I finished pulling carpet today. Everything was going along well until I got to the underside on the sides down in the V berth. There a different type of adhesive was used. It is damn tough and had to chisel out most of it. I suppose the carpet that is under the console will remain in place. As well as the carpet that is behind the window frames. I’m not going to pull the windows yet. I’ll try to post pics as I’m working on it. Need to hire a camera person.View attachment 25935View attachment 25936View attachment 25937
Hey Capt Minorcian Mullet.... Thank you for your great humor! It made my day! (Trainable and good at wrapping presents! ☺)... This a job I hope I'll never have to do; if I'm lucky, my body will 'assume room temperature' before it's needing done on my boat.... We had a boat it the 1970's that had what I called 'rabbit-fur' glued to the cabin bulkheads, hull, and EVERYWHERE inside the boat. It was disgusting. The Parker 'Carpet' is a step up from 'rabbit-fur', but not by much!

The wheel I used was more aggressive than a decal eraser. It did a great job getting rid of the adhesive and smoothing out some of the mess underneath. I pretty sure the reason Parker uses the carpet is to cover imperfections, not for sound dampening or insulation.

Back