Help Trolling Motor Nightmare

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleopoldi914

Reaction score
Started boating a few years ago, My whole family has gotten into it, but we got tired of the pounding of our Montauk. I made the decision to buy a new 2021 21se, I opted to get a trolling motor, I boat in a rocky area and take family members that don’t fish bottom fishing snd the spot lock makes it nice. I went with a minn kota 112lb 36v 72 inch motor and a shuttle slide SS-9-HD mount.

I went to a minn kota dealer and didn’t think I was going to get screwed around. First they mounted tbe motor down the middle of tbe bow. Then they kept insisting it was right. Finally I sent the boat back and they moved the mount.

I was out yesterday bottom fishing in a little bit of a chop. I noticed a little bit of play in my motor on the bracket I then noticed the bracket was kind of seperated from the cap of the boat.

I took the first picture and the shuttle mount needs 6 bolts they use 4 bolts with fender washers and then screws. The screws are now popped out in tbe gront

What are my options here? Can I maybe use a toggle bolt, the access to the back of the deck is what is tough here. What about if maybe I take the fender washer and crazy glue it to the nut, this will make it so I don’t have to hold the washer, then try to reach in wirh an extender and tighten the bolt. Honestly I am nervous about more of the install as well from seeing this amateu

Can I run the boat like this and just not use the trolling motor? The Striper bite has been hit

I have the Parker gel coat for the deck to fix the holes

first pic-install down the middle of the bow
Second pic- way I wanted it
Third pic, view of bolts and screws

i am not that handy as well so trying to learn as I go. Willing to pay a shop to fix it. I am in Connecticut.

Attachments

• 36580D53-A13A-40D3-941F-4718CE0578C7.jpeg
    36580D53-A13A-40D3-941F-4718CE0578C7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 142
  • 5CF28538-BEFE-4FAC-A478-03D4A6BA4D0D.jpeg
    5CF28538-BEFE-4FAC-A478-03D4A6BA4D0D.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 146
  • 9FAD01B2-2715-402A-8CB8-05C453BA7DDD.jpeg
    9FAD01B2-2715-402A-8CB8-05C453BA7DDD.jpeg
    896.9 KB · Views: 139
Started boating a few years ago, My whole family has gotten into it, but we got tired of the pounding of our Montauk. I made the decision to buy a new 2021 21se, I opted to get a trolling motor, I boat in a rocky area and take family members that don’t fish bottom fishing snd the spot lock makes it nice. I went with a minn kota 112lb 36v 72 inch motor and a shuttle slide SS-9-HD mount.

I went to a minn kota dealer and didn’t think I was going to get screwed around. First they mounted tbe motor down the middle of tbe bow. Then they kept insisting it was right. Finally I sent the boat back and they moved the mount.

I was out yesterday bottom fishing in a little bit of a chop. I noticed a little bit of play in my motor on the bracket I then noticed the bracket was kind of seperated from the cap of the boat.

I took the first picture and the shuttle mount needs 6 bolts they use 4 bolts with fender washers and then screws. The screws are now popped out in tbe gront

What are my options here? Can I maybe use a toggle bolt, the access to the back of the deck is what is tough here. What about if maybe I take the fender washer and crazy glue it to the nut, this will make it so I don’t have to hold the washer, then try to reach in wirh an extender and tighten the bolt. Honestly I am nervous about more of the install as well from seeing this amateu

Can I run the boat like this and just not use the trolling motor? The Striper bite has been hit

I have the Parker gel coat for the deck to fix the holes

first pic-install down the middle of the bow
Second pic- way I wanted it
Third pic, view of bolts and screws

i am not that handy as well so trying to learn as I go. Willing to pay a shop to fix it. I am in Connecticut.
I know this won't be 'practical' suggestion to address your immediate issue...
But, what we need to do, is to clone Warthog (and a dozen + other ClassicParker gurus!) and disperse them evenly across the country... and then pay them (whatever they ask;... I know I would) to do stuff right, the first time... I'm thankful for all of them taking the time to spew their collective knowledge here on CP....
My guess is, Dleopold914 (geeezzz a complicated name! ☺) help will be on its way!
(are you in the Witness Protection Program?)

The first mounting position was obviously wrong. With the second position, can you still open the hatch fully and utilize the seat fully? There looks like there is more room to position the troll head on top of the cap. Below, it may seem to be a tight area, but there looks like a lot of room in there. Maybe use a full piece of aluminum plate as a backer rather then fender washers? No need for crazy glue, a little dab of silicone will work. Also, it would be really helpful to others if you provide the name and location of the installer.

The installer that did this monstrosity is Reynolds marine in niantic,ct

i am thinking since I cannot reach the back of the bolts maybe use this toggle bolt instead.

Attachments

• B2848AB3-8E19-4D8A-BFBD-F7562991AFBC.jpeg
    B2848AB3-8E19-4D8A-BFBD-F7562991AFBC.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 18
I only mention the glue because I can’t reach the forward screws under the locker, having the washer and nut together I can maybe get a really long handle to get in there.

the way the boat is now, do you think I can run the boat like that until and just not use the trolling motor?

I Love it......Freaking Amateur hour on BOTH installs. :(

I would have never blocked the use of that anchor locker functioning. I would have mounted it on a 3/8in alum plate and painted to match the boat.....It would have laid right down the washboard.... I can only imagine what these hacks did with the wiring?

I see that Reynolds is a Minn Kota authorized service dealer. You would be doing all boaters and Minn Kota a favor by reporting these installs to Minn Kota.

I see that Reynolds is a Minn Kota authorized service dealer. You would be doing all boaters and Minn Kota a favor by reporting these installs to Minn Kota.
I reported to minn Kota and my boat will never go back there again. My local shop that comes highly recommended and works on lots of fabricating and luxory boats has agreed to fix this butcher job.

the second time around when they fixed rhe position I agreed to take care of the glass work in a better way at a later date. They did not uphold their end of the bargain, i will be seeking legal action, if the bill for the repairs is not paid. I want the glass and the mount fixed and all tbe wiring looked over. I’ve been more than reasonable here even wasting 8 hours towing back and forth for their screw ups.

Hopefully you get it right the third time. As mentioned earlier be sure and have their electrical work checked..

Hopefully you get it right the third time. As mentioned earlier be sure and have their electrical work checked..
The boat is not going there a third time. They are an hour snd a half away and sorry you don’t get third chances. They will be getting a bill for repairs.

I meant your third attempt. I assumed you would not take it back to Reynolds..

I only mention the glue because I can’t reach the forward screws under the locker, having the washer and nut together I can maybe get a really long handle to get in there.

the way the boat is now, do you think I can run the boat like that until and just not use the trolling motor?

Take the unit off the boat until you can get it mounted properly. The head of the unit does not look to be supported by anything?
You want the TM to be mounted so that it doesn't obstruct anything. It even looks to be too close to the bow cleat. How would you tie up to a dock on the port side?

Take the unit off the boat until you can get it mounted properly. The head of the unit does not look to be supported by anything?
You want the TM to be mounted so that it doesn't obstruct anything. It even looks to be too close to the bow cleat. How would you tie up to a dock on the port side?
The location is ok, if I start to mount towards to the port it eliminates area to bottom fish. I dock my boat and it is ok. As far as the support for tbe head i could add one but it is not standard. The motor didn’t move much without the support.

This was resolved amicably…..backing plate was put in by new shop and they will fix the glass to make it look like it never happened they have factory gelcoat from Parker and Can copy the skid pattern with a mold.

I ran the boat in rough conditions with the plate yesterday and Can notice the difference

Attachments

• 1E42753A-8F83-4E1E-AF54-75ACA71D9BA9.jpeg
    1E42753A-8F83-4E1E-AF54-75ACA71D9BA9.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 52
Back