Help with transducer selection

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricochet

Reaction score
Looking for some transducer recommendations for my 2015 21SE. I recently purchased a Garmin 1242xsv - (button version as per Warthog's recommendation). I've been reading through older posts and leaning towards the Garmin GT50 thru hull (I want to go with a thru hull - not transom).

I'll be spending most of my time in the bay (about 25' max) and probably nothing ever deeper than 50' or so. Also, I would need the GT50 pair, right? Want to make sure whatever I install is reliable and won't lose bottom. Any other suggestions? New to this subject - any help appreciated.

Thanks Warthog - yes, that would be easier. Might have to hire you as a remote technical consultant.

I installed the 1242 - now just the transducer. There is a flat spot right under transom, the V just stops 10" before the stern - and extends about 4' wide. Garmin say's to install the GT50 right in front of the outboard, so this might be a good spot plus it would be protected and very easy access, but my concern is any bubbles/turbulence from the step where the v stops which would be right in front of it.

If not there, then i don't know where I would put it - that's why i was initially thinking I would need the pair as Garmin indicates anything over 5 degrees dead rise would require it.

And wonder what's the purpose of the flat area anyway? Part of the modified v hull design I guess?

Sorry for the delay - just arrived at the boat. Please 2 attached pics - one of bottom (and flat area) and other of transom.

I also called Garmin, but weren't much help - they told me to call boat manufacturer for best placement - haven't had much luck getting in touch with them.

Thanks for any suggestions

Problem with pic size - hopefully these work

Attachments

• 21-1.jpg
    21-1.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 21-2.jpg
    21-2.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 89
OK......That boat WILL need the fairing block.

X-Ducer will mount aprox 4in to the STB side of the keel. You will use the fairing block and you will need to cut it to the correct angle to be the same as your deadrise.

Pay attention REAL close here....Tape on the fairing block... Front notated......angle notated.

It's real easy to get it turned around....when coming out from under the boat to the saw and cut the damn thing wrong.

That Flatarea behind the Garboard plug.....DO NOT mount a X-Ducer there..... You will not like the outcome!

Not for a thru Hull unit anyway.

Thanks Warthog, much appreciated. I will mount as you suggested - back end of transducer will be about 6" forward of the flat area step - and cut the fairing block at my 14 degree dead rise on my table saw.

Unfortunately I think I will still need the pair for the complete side view - I'll double check with Garmin.

I will try and take some pic's of the install and post.

Thanks again!

No you will not need it.....It will work fine with the single. And Especially the shallow water that your boating in. LOL...That twin unit is made to run multi freq. and the lower the freq it's designed for deeper water.

Where people run into a problem as you will see in the instructions is by installing it to far outboard of the keel.

You want it 4in or 5in outboard of the keel on the STB side and like you said.....the tail end of the X-ducer aprox 6in in front of the flat area.
It's hard to mock up without the fairing block cut, but it will shoot past the keel to the Port side.

Now.....if it was installed farther outboard of the keel.....IE: further to the STB side....Then you could have a problem.

Got it - single it is! Thanks Warthog. I will post results but may be a couple weeks before the boat is in the water.

warthog5":wyau7u0g said:
No you will not need it.....It will work fine with the single. And Especially the shallow water that your boating in. LOL...That twin unit is made to run multi freq. and the lower the freq it's designed for deeper water.

Where people run into a problem as you will see in the instructions is by installing it to far outboard of the keel.

You want it 4in or 5in outboard of the keel on the STB side and like you said.....the tail end of the X-ducer aprox 6in in front of the flat area.
It's hard to mock up without the fairing block cut, but it will shoot past the keel to the Port side.

Now.....if it was installed farther outboard of the keel.....IE: further to the STB side....Then you could have a problem.

Hey Warthog - thanks for the help. I did manage to screw up one fairing block (used wrong blade on table saw - had to order another for $60), but otherwise install went OK - wouldn't consider it easy. There was really only one location to install right up against the last bulk head (see first pic) which gave me almost exactly 6" from the flat part under transom mentioned above. i made up some while 14 degree triangles to match dead rise and help mock up cutting of fairing block to ensure transducer was below keel-

So far everything works fine - side view shoots past keel no problem don't lose bottom. And i really like to 1242xsv.

Attachments

• transducer interior3.jpg
    transducer interior3.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 52
  • transducer exterior2.jpg
    transducer exterior2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 51
  • fairing.jpg
    fairing.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 41
Yes I have - limited, but everything seems to be working OK - including side scan. Need more time on the water to learn how to fully use it but so far pretty impressive. i will keep an eye out to see if I am losing bottom - once I perfect my planing skills on a on consistent basis : ) - but so far so good.
Thanks!

I was a little thrown back with cutting the piece on the inside cross ways...Yes....I see that buldge for the bilge pump to sit on....... I would have not cut it in half, but ground the side for clearance......It's just more of a ascetic thing. It will be fine.

I have a 2320 center console and I installed a transducer on the flat part where the bulge and float sit on. I moved the the items over slightly in order to drill thru the flat area so that the transducer tube and bolt comes into the boat. Not a problem with any issue.

Back