HOPE I GAVE REASONABLE ADVISE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Principal Reeler

Reaction score
Hi, All...I neglected to mention to xxx that storage, etc. is by the foot. Hope I didn't steer him wrong on the HP and Salt Water issues. I DID advise to ask/look on the forum :lol: My 23 walkaround was the start of the pvt chat. I XXX his name for his pricvacy. Mac

Inbox :: Message
To: Principal Reeler
Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:55 pm
Subject: 2310
Hi principle reeler,

I'm going to probably go look at a 91 2310 that is drastically underpowered with a 115hp here in Ma. did you by any chance look at that boat?
thanks, xxx

xxx,
Check out what the recommended hp is for a 21'. The smallest hp should go no lower than about 75% of that, according to some guys on this forum. That 115 is probably just below the minimum. You don't want to strain the engine...but you aren't going to be in any speed races anyway !!! If you like the boat...you can always change the engine...or just use it until it bites the dust. Thats what I'd do.

I'm no expert...a newbie Ask on the forum, and I'm sure that they'll be happy to share about this topic.. GOOD LUCK ! Principal Reeler...
a/k/a Mac

xxx
To: Principal Reeler
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:18 am
Subject: 2310/Salt water

I'm from Central Ma, and often fish the Merrimack with my 20' center console (which is for sale, so i can buy a parker with a cuddy:)). if you don't mind me asking... where is your mooring and how much does it cost for a season? Also with a mooring how do you run fresh water thru the engine after use in the salt? or is this something you don't worry about?
thanks,
xxx

To: xxx
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:05 pm
Subject: Re: 2310

xxx...
This is my first time mooring a craft of this size. Mooring + winter storage (winterization, shrink wrap, and outside storage) + pressure washing +1 launch + 1 landing will probably approach $3000.00

As far as the salt water...from what I've read, some guys immerse the engine into an area of fresh water. This could be a large barrel or something, once the boat is on land, and run the engine through its paces.
It probably could be done in the water with a large flotable object ?????

I'm a newbee, so I'm just relating to you what I've read on line.
Good luck.
PR/Mac

Mooring + winter storage (winterization, shrink wrap, and outside storage) + pressure washing +1 launch + 1 landing will probably approach $3000.00

Yikes, Mac I can help you out. My bill:
Mooring - $100, (but I can get you one for $300-$500)
Winterization - ~$20 maybe, cost of lower unit oil and fogging oil
Cover - $40/year, using tarp and PVC A-frame, 3+ years per tarp,
Outside Storage - $420
Launch/Load - $0, I have my own trailer.
Pressure Wash - Have my own, you can borrow it
Total = < $600

Also with a mooring how do you run fresh water thru the engine after use in the salt? Or is this something you don't worry about?

On tidal estuaries like the Merrimack or Parker River where they are brackish water ... you don't need to worry about it, though a good flushing won't hurt. FWIW, my bros and I have run up to 11 OBs in a season, each of us has 35+ years of boating and we've never flushed an OB yet because we had to, not even ever bothered to I think.

Also have never rebuilt one carb due to fuel issues. A little PM goes a lonnnnnnnnng way to a happy OB :) !

Dale, thanks for giving me those facts, figures, and good ol' common sense about storage, winterizing, etc. :D

Can I plead a case of "Temporary Newbie Insanity"? :shock: :lol:

I sure got a lot to learn...but its fun :D

PS Thanks again for the koozie!

Most likely that 23 is a MV. I looked at one a few years ago that had a 150 on it, Parker must have sent them out the door with 150's.

Back