House Battery Location

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregd123

Reaction score
Planning on adding a house battery (two Trojan T-105 6V) for electronics. Currently have 2520 with twin Suzuki 200's with two start batteries with two Perko style switches all located in the transom. I will get rid of the Perko style switches and switch over to appropriate BEP cluster (3 bank) as part of the upgrade. Wondering where people install the "third" house battery? Thinking about the starboard side V-berth compartment or maybe the forward bilge which would be a more central (less listing?) location? Might have to install new hatch for access to forward bilge area (haven't measured pie-hole diameter yet, 6V might fit through the pie hole?) and a platform for the batteries to sit on. Thoughts/recommendations much appreciated.

Brent, sorry just saw your reply. Not sure what you are asking. My plan was to install both of the house 6V house batteries somewhere in the cabin, either in one of the v-berth compartments, the forward bilge area, or cut a new compartment between the forward bilge and the door into the cabin. I was also considering moving both starting batteries forward from the transom area to get some weight off the stern but not sure it is worth the effort? I think it is doable but would need to verify there are no issues extending the connections from each engine including the "white wire" and the hot for the stern bilge pump. Not sure I want to make it that big of a project.

When you say "on the wheel house", where exactly are your batteries? What brand/model 6V batteries did you go with?

Got it, thanks for the picture. Any one else store their house and/or starting batteries in the cabin?

D653CE33-AA54-43D3-BA2A-7307FF40B186.jpeg

I moved (and added) the house batteries in the cockpit area under my center hatch. My starting battery is under the helm seat. Moving them forward helped out getting some weight off the stern.

I have a 2820 and am in the middle of a major remodel. My cabin is the same as yours. I am moving all of my batteries into the wheel house and out of my wet bilge. I cut open the dead area just inside the wheelhouse door. I dug out all of the foam, glassed in a floor and gelcoated it. I ordered a custom hatch from Boat Outfitters. Its coming along nicely, almost ready for battery install and wiring. My plan is to install two 6 volt house batteries and two 12 volt starting batteries. I will also be moving my battery switches, and installing an inverter in that hold. In the photo with both hatches, the stainless finger pulls are not yet installed. Please keep in mind, these photos are while still in progress.

Attachments

• 20200524_131405.jpg
    20200524_131405.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 20200325_151506.jpg
    20200325_151506.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 20200327_115421.jpg
    20200327_115421.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 56
Nice work! Perhaps the only advice I could
Offer you is if the new compartment does not have a physical drain build some pads for the batteries to sit up on. Inevitably every hatch/compartment seems to collect (or attract) moisture.

Thank You, I definitely plan in putting pads in the bottom of both holds.

I have a 2820 and am in the middle of a major remodel. My cabin is the same as yours. I am moving all of my batteries into the wheel house and out of my wet bilge. I cut open the dead area just inside the wheelhouse door. I dug out all of the foam, glassed in a floor and gelcoated it. I ordered a custom hatch from Boat Outfitters. Its coming along nicely, almost ready for battery install and wiring. My plan is to install two 6 volt house batteries and two 12 volt starting batteries. I will also be moving my battery switches, and installing an inverter in that hold. In the photo with both hatches, the stainless finger pulls are not yet installed. Please keep in mind, these photos are while still in progress.
Thank you, and all of you who post pictures; I love seeing how all of you equip your boats.... This picture caught my eye, with that awesome helm seat! I'm 'ok' with the stock/Parker seats in our 2520, but this one looks like a nautical version of a Lazy Boy recliner! What brand/type is it? That has to be a shock-absorbing base?

Those seats are made by a company thats based in Portland, Oregon. The name of the company is Bentley Mfg. They do all custom order seats. The shock absorbing base is made by Smooth Moves.

Back