How do you wax the non skid? 04 21se

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gsully23

Reaction score
So earlier this year I purchased a trade in we had at the dealership i work at. It was an 04 21se. Since it was mid season when I purchased ,(end of june) I hit it with 3m restorer. It did a decent job, but didn't hold up and wasn't what the boat needed. I swear this boat had never had a full detail since the day it left the lot. This weekened I went through a 3 step phase on the rub rail down and am extremely happy with my results. My question is how do you guys tackle the non-skid with compound and wax? I find it extremely difficult to clean after a few outings and I believe if I had a nice coat on it the non skid would clean much easier. I have yet to try anything......so I'm asking for knowledge so I can avoid the headache of trial and error.

Here's some pics of my finished product from this weekened

Attachments

• 20210117_135213.jpg
    20210117_135213.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
So earlier this year I purchased a trade in we had at the dealership i work at. It was an 04 21se. Since it was mid season when I purchased ,(end of june) I hit it with 3m restorer. It did a decent job, but didn't hold up and wasn't what the boat needed. I swear this boat had never had a full detail since the day it left the lot. This weekened I went through a 3 step phase on the rub rail down and am extremely happy with my results. My question is how do you guys tackle the non-skid with compound and wax? I find it extremely difficult to clean after a few outings and I believe if I had a nice coat on it the non skid would clean much easier. I have yet to try anything......so I'm asking for knowledge so I can avoid the headache of trial and error.

Here's some pics of my finished product from this weekened
I have never waxed nor compounded the non-skid on any boat I've ever owned; just clean it with cleaners and brushes. (I sometimes use Comet on the non-skid in the cockpit only; regular boat-soap on the rest of the non-skid). I had very deep/aggressive non-skid on my last boat that required a stiff bristle brush with longer bristles than what I use on the Parker. The non-skid on our 2013 Parker is barely what I would call non-skid; very non-aggressive. Besides, waxing it would negate the non-skid quality, making it slippery and unsafe.... By the way; you did a beautiful job on the hull!

I have never waxed nor compounded the non-skid on any boat I've ever owned; just clean it with cleaners and brushes. (I sometimes use Comet on the non-skid in the cockpit only; regular boat-soap on the rest of the non-skid). I had very deep/aggressive non-skid on my last boat that required a stiff bristle brush with longer bristles than what I use on the Parker. The non-skid on our 2013 Parker is barely what I would call non-skid; very non-aggressive. Besides, waxing it would negate the non-skid quality, making it slippery and unsafe.... By the way; you did a beautiful job on the hull!

I'm not sure what year parker you own....but the early 2000's parkers have non-skid like the old school style boats. Basically sand in the gel. Not the newer cross hatch style non skid that newer boats have. I'm not worried about making my "non-skid" slick. I'm worried what type of pad can withstand the 400 grit while giving it a base coat.

My main concern is everything seems to stain and stick to the floor. I hate to use soft scrub or Comet but that seems to be the only thing that cleans the top deck. I was hoping if I could put a layer of protection down that would make it easier to clean. Has anyone else had this issue?

I also use Woody Wax for all deck surfaces. Pretty easy application and works well.

You can compound and wax the non skid without issue- does not get slippery. I have been doing so for a few years on the Parker 1801. Prior to that I used Woody Wax which worked well but it did not last too long.
You can compound with a stiff circular attachment on a drill, and wax after that. Dirt, blod, footprints, rinse off with a hose and lasts for a month or so.
Look up "Waxing Non-skid" on youtube.com

What Knotflying said......But be cautious.....Easy to overdo and get slick....It does clean easier.
I have Aurora Boat Deck Wax. It really works well. Makes the deck much easier to clean and actually makes the deck stickier. I really recommend it

All good stuff , im going to attempt to compound/polish/wax the inside and my console. Pretty sure it will come out clean but I have to try it first. Was going to leave the boat in the shop tonight but some work issues arrose. I'm mainly conceredned about the top edge real and the conse which shouldn't take much.9

Back