How high is your motor mounted?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapie408

Reaction score
Looks like the previous owner might have adjusted the motor from the marking on the mounting brackets. It appears that the motor was mounted lower originally and moved up a notch.

Wondering if this is the reason why my prop of kicks out of the water if I rev up too fast from a trolling speed and the motor is not almost completely trimmed down.
20210330_175355.jpg

It does look like it was moved; however, mine are mounted one hole higher. You want the anti-cavitation plates at the surface of the water when running with a typical load as seen below. This will give you the best cruise performance with the correct props. It will cause some blow out in sharp turns or in rough seas if you don't trim down.IMG_0637.jpeg

I have not take her out in the ocean yet, only in the bay when the water is flat calm. I need to have someone at the helm and go look next time

I have not take her out in the ocean yet, only in the bay when the water is flat calm. I need to have someone at the helm and go look next time

Yes. it is most definitely a two person job to check them under way. When you said the "prop kicks out of the water" did you mean it's cavitating or is the engine moving and the prop is coming up out of the water? If the prop is cavitating and the plates are on top, you may want to try a different prop. I love my four blade Proptechs.
IMG_2056.JPG

Since i can't see what exactly was happening, I can only describe what as happening by feel.

From trolling speed, if I rev up the proper, the motor rev up high but the boat barely move and lots of vibration. In fact the bow doesn't even lift. Think of a car with a slipping transmission. Experience tells me this is probably because the motor is trimmed up too high. Thing is my motor was only 1/4 no more than 1/3 trimmed up. If I trim it 100% down there's no issue. This would be an issue chops when I need to get the bow up a to ride the waves if I can't trim the motor up just a little bit.

my cruise and WOT speed is on point, 25-26Mph cruise and WOT at 42, proper is a 3 blade 15x17 200hp 4s.

This is my first boat in 12 years with a 3 blade prop. I hear you on the 4 blade and it's on one of my to do list. Thinking a 14.5x17 4 blade would be a good replacement.

Side note: I have a 2120 and I hate looking at anything bigger than 2320. I envy those brackets! :LOL:

Since i can't see what exactly was happening, I can only describe what as happening by feel.

From trolling speed, if I rev up the proper, the motor rev up high but the boat barely move and lots of vibration. In fact the bow doesn't even lift. Think of a car with a slipping transmission. Experience tells me this is probably because the motor is trimmed up too high. Thing is my motor was only 1/4 no more than 1/3 trimmed up. If I trim it 100% down there's no issue. This would be an issue chops when I need to get the bow up a to ride the waves if I can't trim the motor up just a little bit.

my cruise and WOT speed is on point, 25-26Mph cruise and WOT at 42, proper is a 3 blade 15x17 200hp 4s.

This is my first boat in 12 years with a 3 blade prop. I hear you on the 4 blade and it's on one of my to do list. Thinking a 14.5x17 4 blade would be a good replacement.

Side note: I have a 2120 and I hate looking at anything bigger than 2320. I envy those brackets! :LOL:

It sounds like cavitation since it isn't doing it trimmed all the way in. Is your prop one of the ones that has the ventilation holes on the leading edge of the hub? What engine speed are you getting at WOT trimmed out?

The props that came on my 200s were 14.25x18 three blade Yamahas. I replaced them with PowerTech SCE4 14X17. I gained lower planning speed and better cruise performance. I lost 1-2 MPH off top speed. For my hole shot I always have them tucked all the way in with trim tabs 1/3 down. As I speed up, I trim up to 1/2 way out and bring the trim tabs up somewhere around 1/4 and balance the port to starboard with them.

She does have a nice transom, doesn't she?;)

Back