How is water getting in fuel tank

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfiorentino

Reaction score
1997 2110. last year my ETEC G2 went in safe mode and check engine light went on. Computer diagnostic said water in gas tank. Since it was middle of season on LI I switched to a external tank. This spring siphoned tank dry and launched boat 10 days later and sure enough fist day water in gas, safe mode. Local marina filtered tank and removed 3 gallons of water. Three days later water in gas safe mode. Is it possible or anyone experienced that the tank "coffin" and foam full of water and tank has hole but because I only put 20 gallons of gas in at a time (i have no need for 90 gallons of gas and the weight that it adds) no gas leak but the water trapped in coffin and foam is leaking into tank??

It is not vent hose fitting is new and correct loop, Not gas cap has new O ring and never left open. Not sending unit new unit and gaskets.

Any ideas??

Sending unit is new and no visable water can be seen on top of tank through pie plate. Source of gas is reputable marina and supplies gas for hundreds of boats each week and no one on the dock has had an issue. Great suggestion for pressure test. Thanks

Water through the fuel vent is the likeliest culprit. Also check the gasket on your fuel fill cap, if it’s regularly exposed to rain or spray.

There should be a significant upward loop in the vent line, and the vent opening should face down.

Reactions: Efx
Your comment that sending unit is new is confusing. Are you refering to the water sensor? Is it possible that the water sensor is bad. I have seen that happen.

1997, I bet there is a hole in the tank. My 1994 had 3 holes. Aluminum tanks do corrode and water seeps in no matter what. The foam recesses holds water. The hole may be on the side of tank or up near the front. Washing the boat is the source of the water or rain/ condensation if boat is in water. Sometimes you won’t see gas in the bilge because the hole is on the side of the tank. You will smell it.

So frustrating!!!! Sounds like your on the right track.

I’m literally dealing with the same thing right now. Drained the tank several times only to find water in the fuel again time and time again. Just pulled 2+ gallons of water out of my tank from a single quick trip. Vent hose didn’t have a loop, thinking that’s the culprit. Failed a pressure test and found a leaky sending unit gasket as well, but there is no way 2 gallons got in tank from that route (could be more leaks elsewhere though). My boat is a 94 so I’m about to pull the trigger and replace it. I’m sick and tired of it. Brace yourself, it’s a 7-10k job for my 2320 here in CA.

Fyi to all you guys that will be replacing tanks in CA. You can get tanks made in San Diego by American tanks. It’s not a terrible job if you have basic plumbing and fiberglass skills. Expect to pay 1/4 of the cost if you do it yourself. Search it. I just finished the job last spring. See the tank in the photos. It was done and the here is the best part, the previous owner told me he had it cleaned! With what?

Attachments

• DE7CB66D-6D4E-49B5-8107-D60163692D16.jpeg
    DE7CB66D-6D4E-49B5-8107-D60163692D16.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Fyi to all you guys that will be replacing tanks in CA. You can get tanks made in San Diego by American tanks. It’s not a terrible job if you have basic plumbing and fiberglass skills. Expect to pay 1/4 of the cost if you do it yourself. Search it. I just finished the job last spring. See the tank in the photos. It was done and the here is the best part, the previous owner told me he had it cleaned! With what?
I just talked with vince at American tanks a few days ago! He will more than likely make my tank. He says the Parker tanks are a “bread and butter” job for him. Great reputation, reasonable price, and quick turn around. I’ll check out your thread Efx, thanks.

Thank you all for the information. The sending unit is new along with new gasket. The tank vent is new and yes has large loop in hose above vent. I cant justify spending $4K to $6K on a new tank. I am getting quotes for a above deck aluminum tank that will fit in the splash well between the back jump seats and do a bench seat all the way across. Looks like 22 gallons is what I can fit but that is more than enough for a day out on water for me. Parker 10.JPG

When you guys open deck and pull tank let us know how much water you pull from the tank coffin. Thanks
Spend the money on the new tank so you can enjoy the boat. I have a 2001 2110 and replaced the tank a year and a half ago. An above deck tank is going to look like ass and you won’t have enough fuel to go anywhere.

Yo
Thank you all for the information. The sending unit is new along with new gasket. The tank vent is new and yes has large loop in hose above vent. I cant justify spending $4K to $6K on a new tank. I am getting quotes for a above deck aluminum tank that will fit in the splash well between the back jump seats and do a bench seat all the way across. Looks like 22 gallons is what I can fit but that is more than enough for a day out on water for me.
You dont want another 122 lbs (plus the tank) on your stern. Your boat is too nice to do that to. Plus you've come too far to go that route. Do a LOW pressure test to confirm the tank is bad and not just an overlooked fitting. You can run a portable tank until the season is over then make it a winter project.
I have a new plastic portable 6 gal tank you can use.
This

Last edited:
V
I just talked with vince at American tanks a few days ago! He will more than likely make my tank. He says the Parker tanks are a “bread and butter” job for him. Great reputation, reasonable price, and quick turn around. I’ll check out your thread Efx, thanks.
Vince made my 100 gallon tank. Great quality and good price.

Back