How many bars....

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outta Here

Reaction score
...are showing on your Yamaha trim guage?

That is, on a clean plane on relatively calm water (yeah, right!), where do you set motor trim? I almost always set at 3 bars showing (perceive 3 bars to set motor at 90* to water). I do all of my trim with the trim tabs, never changing motor trim.

I run my yammie up at the third bar also...I stop it just as it lights up. seems to be the optimum fuel efficiency range for my rig. 1994 2520MVSC.

Hmm.. I think I run up to 4, but I'm sure all boat/engine combos are separate. I try to run it up so that the plane of the engine is level with the plane of the water, if that makes any sense :)

-- Tom

Setting the engine trim is something I adjust frequently. I set it all the way in for best hole shot, then once on plane, I trim it out until I hear the engine reach the highest rpm without ventilating/cavitating. After some practice you can easily tell when the most efficient position is reached. I have always adjusted my outboards in this manner, having never had the luxury of an electronic fuel management device. I am not far away from the installation of such a system, however.

Having replied already, and then reading Ranger tim's response, I'm amending my statement, because I do frequently adjust with little tweaks up and down while running since wave action, wind and course change the trim needed. I adjust until it feels and sounds just right and I achieve the most comfortable, highest speed at a certain rpm.

FishFactory":vvpj9wkf said:
I do all of my trim with the trim tabs, never changing motor trim.

That's me. I sent the 'trim bars' at the 1/2 way point when I drop the motor into the water, and then adjust attitude from there with the tabs.

Ranger Tim,
you won't be sorry for installing the fuel management system. It really opens your eyes as to how inefficient the ride is at WOT. At 4500 rpm's I'm burning 16 GPH. At 5300 rpm's, I'm over 30 GPH with an increase in speed of about 7MPH. So not worth it.

Ranger Tim has it right. Remember the trim gauge is dependent on the position on a small adjustable plastic tab back at the engine bracket. So no two boats are likely to have the exact same engine position with the same number of bars showing.

Ray

Back