How to remove 3m 5200????

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkchunker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in a previous thread that I had blown a gear out of my Lewmar Horizon 500 windlass and that I needed to replace it.

New windlass came in last week. I went to the boat with full intention of removing the failed one and installing the new one. But...not so fast.

The three bolts were removed easily from inside the chain locker...however, the windlass refused to budge. I think it is sealed down with an adhesive...either 3M 4200 or 5200.

If it is 5200, how do I get this windlass off without taking half the bow pulpit surface off with it?

Dave, 3M makes a product called anti-bond (or something like that) that is a solvent specifically made for 3M 5200 removal.
Boaters World or West Marine should have it.

Yea... The comments on THT can be all over the map on any given day. :roll:

Liquid Nails makes a product called Adhesive & Caulk Remover. It comes in a white squeeze tube with a purple label. I've used it on 5200 before with great success. You should be able to find it at pretty much any hardware store. Much cheaper than the Anti-Bond stuff... :)

gw204":2cuf5ohc said:
Liquid Nails makes a product called Adhesive & Caulk Remover. It comes in a white squeeze tube with a purple label. I've used it on 5200 before with great success. You should be able to find it at pretty much any hardware store. Much cheaper than the Anti-Bond stuff... :)
that's good to know. I have used the Anti-Bond 2015 product and it did work.

Dave - you need a sharp knife and keep working the solvent in and under the item. On an OB bracket, we actually used thin SS wire attached to 2 wooden handles.

Ok...purchased some Anti-Bond and pumped some out around the windlass yesterday before going on a fishing trip. Let it work all day long. Will go back this coming weekend with some oak wedges (per the recommendation of Erich at Parker Marine) and see if I can get her off.

BTW, Harvey at Tri-State provided similar guidance...use plastic wedges. I notice the absence of guidance to use wide chisels...only wood and plastic. Since I have some oak laying around, I'll run it through the saw and make several. I'll assume that it may take more than one.

You know, I didn't think to take pictures of before and after. I added a windlass to my 2310. It was some project, had to fill where the hatch was. It's not pretty but it works.

Attachments

• windlass (Small).JPG
    windlass (Small).JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,492
I had to remove my radome which was set on top of my hardtop, bedded in 5200. I used some high test fishing line and wire leader to "saw" through it. I was able to remove in and then clean up the 5200 with above mentioned solvents.

Jake

Back