I/O Engine Box seal ideas?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSky

Reaction score
I have a 1998 2530 with a Merc 5.7. Currently repowering with a diesel and I need to find a solution for creating a water-tight seal between the back of the engine box and the transom. With the diesel, the turbo intake will be right under the back of the engine box which does not have a water-tight seal. There is an aluminum channel under the edge that diverts most water but it is not 100%. If I get any saltwater into the turbo there could be problems.

Could the turbo intake be plumbed to draw air from under the transom cap where it is protected from the weather?
That is assuming yours is an I/O and not an inboard.

I've seen air intakes done with 4" PVC on a couple of applications.
Do you have any photos of the project?

Bluesky, are you saying you normally get salt water splash on your engine cover or the mating surface with the transom box?

The channel lets some water divert to the side.

All I get is some rain water in small amounts.

I may occasionally get some splash on the side of the engine housing. And I avoid going fast into some waves to make a splash all the way over the cabin top and somehow onto the engine cover.

My 5.7L gas fuel injection cover over the flame arrestor has some of it right below the channel.

Here's a photo.

Dana

Attachments

• DSC02348 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02348 (Medium).JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 658
I have the same engine box shown in your picture. With the water diversion channel, I would only get a few drops of water on the engine after a heavy rain or after washing the boat. I did notice that the channel was diverting water to fall into the bilge so I removed the trim pieces on both sides of the channel by drilling out the pop-rivets. I then installed 2" extension pieces similar to the original channel. This did eliminate rainwater falling into the bilge but I would still get a couple of drops on the engine after a heavy rain, probably splatter this missed the channel.

I run the boat out of Jones Inlet where 5' breaking waves are common. I have had waves break on the pilothouse and over the top into the cockpit. My concern is if even a few drops of saltwater make it through the 1/8" gap between the top of the box and the transom, the turbo will suck the water in. Diesels suck a tremendous amount of air.

I am looking for a rubber gasket with a 1/4" grove that I can attach around the back edge of the engine box.

Thanks,
BlueSky

BlueSky, OK, you might end up looking for vinyl weatherstripping for doors and windows.

Not the open foam type, but vinyl or EPDM with a groove as you mentioned.

Frost King makes a lot of building products, as one starting point, here is an example designed for windows/doors, http://www.frostking.com/windoorweather.php.

As I said I don't get much water in but not bad that you extended the channel for full divert to cockpit, and not bilge. I have a '96 2530.

Dana

Here was the solution that the engine installer found. He heated and bent a piece of PVC channel. The channel is much deeper and wider than the original and runs any rainwater on to the deck and not the bilge.

Attachments

• yanmar done.jpg
    yanmar done.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 539
BlueSky, good photo.

You'll see how that channel does.

One thing to check for when you get on the water is whether the water in this deeper, wide channel has a room to drain and not butt directly up against the engine cover.

You can test it on land too with a hose since you said originally your concern was wave water coming over the cabin top to the engine housing through the divert channel.

Dana

Back