I started a fire-storm over on Tidal Fish---your thoughts?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkchunker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the first link. After I started it, I was told it would be better to re-post it over on the Virginia forum:
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthr ... -some-Coms)

Here is the re-post on the Virginia forum:
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthr ... -some-Coms)-Take-2

Apparently I'm not the only one to notice this behavior:
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthr ... ood-or-Bad

and

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthr ... mon-or-not

Seems I also made the movies: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6013215

I was a bit surprised at the response by the Charter Boat Captains down there in VA and NC...that they would be so blatant about fishing outside the 3 nm line...even out to 30 nm, and bragging about it.

Dave

aka

P.S. I'm not out to start a fire-storm here on CP...just want to know your calm, intelligent thoughts on the problem of enforcement of fishing laws. We Parker owners are mostly a hard core fishing lot. This subject should be near and dear to all of our hearts.

Dave

aka

I think anytime you challenge improper behavior, you are going to take incoming.

The reason we have so many people taxing the "gray" line is because so many will turn a blind eye. The are fearful of getting involved or standing up and speaking out. It's why we have so many rude and inconsiderate people in this world.

Stand tall, do the right thing. You don't need laws to tell you what that is..... you know it intuitively. Good for you.

Don't take this the wrong way but I think your approach on the subject was flawed as you posted your concerns on a board of poachers (tidalfish.com). Your effort was wasted there and only fueled ignorant responses from mostly poachers.
You may get a better more constructive response here.
I fish as a way to get away from stress of everyday life and to spend time with family and friends. If I have to look over my back because I am breaking the law then that defeats the purpose. I follow the laws whatever they are and if I disagree I will either stand up to the challenge and make my voice heard to the people who can make the change (not Tidalfish or any other forum) or I will find creative ways to fish within the laws. I for one do not believe in C&R for Rockfish therefore I do not do it even though it is legal at certain times. Based on my experience it is harmful to spawning fish to catch and release on the troll. You can argue with whatever statistics or data you have but I DONT CARE, I am not doing it. I have fished my entire life and have had good luck catching big fish within the laws. I feel my luck is Karma as I respect the fishery above and beyond our laws. Too many self righteous fisherman who think they are conservative but really are hypocrites. (not you Porkchunker) They are all about bragging rights and money in their pocket.
That been said. If you think we need better enforcement of the 3 mile rule you will have better luck talking to your congressman or even join the Coast Guard. Posting on these forums may help you get a feel for what other people think but based on what you saw with your own eyes you all ready know the answer. :wink:

As I stated over there:

Best solution is to open the EEZ and manage the fishery through creel limits. This way the fishery can be managed through access points rather than trying to police many miles of open ocean.

Besides I believe the EEZ restrictions is a poor way to manage a fishery. If it is necessary for less fish to be removed from the spawning stock, then they need to adjust the creel limits. Since the EEZ restrictions arent easily enforced, boats can come to the dock with two big spawners per angler anyhow. Reducing the creel to one fish will be more enforceable. Reducing the creel limit to one fish per angler will cut the harvest in half should managers believe we need to reduce our impact on the spawning biomass. Lets face it, one large spawning stock fish per angler should be enough to still sustain the economic impact of the fishery. Just look at the economic impact of Marylands trophy season with one fish per angler. Besides Recreational angling is not about the provision of food. It is about having access and opportunity to catch a fish in our natural resources. Recreational anglers spend BILLIONS a year for the opportunity to catch a fish. Keeping it is secondary. (just look at the tarpon, large mouth, etc. fisheries) I am not against keeping striped bass and do so regularly when the season is open and even tournament fish. However access and opportunity should come first with a creel limit second. Creel limits are easier to manage and enforce as well as you dont have to police miles and miles of open ocean. Authorities can much more easily (and cost effectively) manage the creel at access points.

Also, dont ever think that open debates on forums like TidalFish are wasted. If you have an issue that is of concern to you, I encourage you to argue them clearly on the forum. I know for a fact that fisheries managers read the board and follow certain topics closely. Also, get involved with organizations that represent your views or steer those organizations in a direction you believe to hold political capital to view points that support yours. The ASMFC is having their meetings on striped bass next tuesday in Alexandria VA. You may want to attend those as well.

While trolling for tuna we regularly get monster stripers who hit the sluggos. This is about 18 miles (at least) offshore, so way outside the EEZ. I don't know anybody who would risk the ownership of their boat to keep one of these cows, as the Environmental Police regularly patrol Stelwagen Bank.

As a result, we think of these huge fish as nuisances!! Have to reel them in, but not what we were looking for. In an onshore fishing environment we would think of them as true trophies!

Down off the Cape, there is a very productive rip just south of Chatham that sits right on the three mile line. Guys set up their GPS to go right up to the line and god help you if you fish beyond it. There are patrol boats everywhere.

Unreal to me that law enforcement ignores this down in Virginia and NC. Totall different here in Mass.

I think it is over looked because the popularity of the fishery exploded as the economy died. The fishery has a HUGE economic impact to the area. With the last two winters being colder than other recent years the fish have been offshore further. If people dont have access or the opportunity to catch a fish, charters wont be booked, hotels wont be packed, marinas wouldnt have near the service work, restaraunts wouldnt be full, tons of fuel wouldnt be purchased, tackle shops would be dead, etc. I am sure the lawmakers are encouraging law enforcement to turn a cheek to what is taking place due to the economic benefit. (not that it is right)

This goes to my previous post in that creel limits would be a better method of management. Managers do have an obligation to manage our resources to benefit society as a whole (fisherman and non fisherman alike). They need to manage for sustainability while benefiting the people who own the resource, the general public. The best way the resource benefits soceity as a whole is through economic impact. I personally believe that if they were to open the EEZ and reduce the creel that the economic impact will remain and that the managers can better control the harvest for sustainability of the species.

Maxout, I agree with you except the comment that TidalFish is a bunch of poachers.

There are a lot of people on TF who are true conservationists. Nearly all the CCA folks I have worked with or talk to are on TF. There are a lot of TF members who donate time to build oyster floats and take them out to rebuild reefs. TF members build reef balls. TF members participated in and pushed MARI (Maryland Artificial Reef Initiative). A lot of TF members show up at the many DNR run meetings dealing with fishery management.

Bottom line is that TF may have a few habitual poachers on it, but the vast majority of the people there are honest hard working people who like to fish.

Dave

aka

Long time no see, hope all is well and look fwd seeing you at LCNAB this spring. I don’t like mincing words, so here goes. I am sure there are a few good people on TF, emphasis on the word few. If I was in their shoes I would be joining a different organization.

As a native of VAB, I believe the 3 Mi. line is the least of concerns for this great fishery. I have witnessed both commercial and recreational fishermen break laws openly and repeatedly. I have gone out of my way to call the CG, VMRC and the VBMP provided hull numbers and contact numbers even went as far as volunteering to stay along side, but to no avail they are either undermanned or don’t care (both are bad).

I am a firm believer that what comes around goes around and in the end they will reap what they have sewn. Unfortunately, we will all pay the price because it will undoubtedly mean harvest restrictions. The root cause is money, I actively boycott anything that promotes, endorses or even looks the other way to this type of behavior.

Nough Said.

Chief C

Back