I'm finding that a PH is not good for drifting in confined area

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapie408

Reaction score
We were drift fishing in the bay a few days ago, was drifting about 2mph. While we weren't paying attention we drift within feet of a huge buoy. I almost jumped out of my pants.

Part of it is the pilot house obstructed alot of view in the front of the boat from the cockpit. Never an issue in my walkaround. I'm thinking maybe having a camera looking forward with monitor in the back might be a good solution.

If the 2 mph drift is pure current, would be interesting to know if the boat really points down current? I know if there was wind or wind and current I was often broadside. Keeping the pilot house door open helps to see forward. You can also try a sea anchor to aim the boat....

Don't you have a 2120? I never found the PH to be obstructive. You just have to look around, over and through it to monitor your drift.
Also, a bow mounted trolling motor will allow you to dictate your drifts course, speed, avoid obstacles, spot lock on structure if you drift over a big mark. It will change the way you fish....for the better.

I always look at my surroundings prior to getting engrossed in fishing. Knowing your surroundings and determining your drift should be better than relying on adding more equipment.

I always look at my surroundings prior to getting engrossed in fishing. Knowing your surroundings and determining your drift should be better than relying on adding more equipment.

Agreed, and assumed that was common sense. Any instrument or tool on a boat is to aid the captain and crew but is no substitute for situational awareness. I think this comes into play quite often regarding autopilot. Lots of accidents occur from lack of awareness and complacency.

Back