I'm lovin' the Parker!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inTherapy

Reaction score
Went out last night, a real 6-8 swell with 2-3 chop on top, 16-20 knots SSW. The first I've ever seen chop, 3' chop, on top of swell, kinda like a staircase, pretty cool. After a few tips from another 2510 owner on how to improve the ride, " why don't you try slowin' down " and playing with the trim more, I decided to take his advise ( many thanks to him ). We cruised out at 3700 rpm, motors slightly trimmed up, trim tabs down, 22 knots, 17 gph, not a single pound. My partner sat the whole time. Took the tabs up as wee started to come beam to and a smooth ride. I was impressed. I have not always "loved my Parker" but I am getting there. Do not get my wrong. The icing on the cake ( beside the nice striper fishing) was a phone call this morning from another hardcore fishin' guy. "I know you didn't go out! Three boats of my friends went out last night and came back in! they said they caught a beatin'! " :D I had to call my partner to see if I had caught a beatin, he laughed hard. Tight lines

They will take a lot, but you can still end up taking a beating.

Was out of Solomons Is., MD last Saturday and the wind was howling. Wind had been out of the S/SW at 10-15 for several days and the swells were 3', with the typical 2' chop on top. Tried to cross the Bay to the Honga river, but the rocking and rolling was throwing everything off the v-berth and onto the floor. Tackle was rolling all over the place, and I decided to turn around and go back to the Pax river.

Yes, the boat took it, but my body and my tackle/gear didn't. When it gets to be NOT fun, it is time to call it quits and try again another day.

Great story!

IMO, the two hardest controls for fishermen to master are the throttle and the reel drag.

Back off either or both and have more fun, less backache and catch more fish.

inTherapy,
Where did you go out? I was out off of Sakonnet Point Sunday night and the swells were pretty big... Went back out to Brenton Reef on Monday and it was the same way although the wind had picked up significantly... I got my 2320 SC this spring and Sun/Mon was the 1st time I had her out front when the seas were heavy... Too bad 2 of my 4 fishing partners didn't handle the swell as good as the Parker cause they missed out on some awesome fishing! Although they were happy to be able to climb into the pilot house... If it wasn't for the bunk I would have had to run back to Newport.

JimH

On Sat morning I headed out the South River to the Chesapeake. As I neared the mouth of the river, the waves were mostly 3 footers. We almost turned around and came back into the river, but I decided to head north about 4 miles towards Tollys Bar, which was my preferred fishing destination.

The northward trip was easy with the big rollers at our stern. We cruised at about 21 mph with no trouble. We started drifting for bottom fish. Within 2 or 3 minutes, a huge wave crashed over the cut out stern in my Parker 23 SE, dumping dozens of gallons of bay water on board. We all got soaked shoes, and there were about 3-4 inches of water on the floor of the boat. Thank goodness for a self-bailing cockpit, although it took about a minute for all that water to roll out of the scuppers.

Two of my crew members are not keen on heavy water conditions, so we brought in the lines and turned toward the South River. The ride back was quite wet. I kept the speed at about 7.5 mph to keep from bouncing us too much. I had no concerns about the Parker's seaworthiness, but I did not want to slam the crew around much.

FishFactory":13bhbxxn said:
IMO, the two hardest controls for fishermen to master are the throttle and the reel drag.

True words.

Throttle control and effective trim tabs will go a long way toward making the ride enjoyable.
Sounds like you've discovered that sweet spot inTherapy! :)

The longer I own my XL, the more I love it. Third season now. Like Clint Eastwood said, "A man's got to know his limitations." That goes for his boat's limitations too. She always gets me back in the bad sea conditions I take her out in and I've never been concerned about her seaworthyness or my crew's safety. She's solid as a rock at anchor and drifting, while the DV's are rolling pretty hard. I have some freinds that just came back from the Monster Shark Tournament fishing a 44 foot Jersey Coast and they took a beating. It's all relative. :wink:

Back