In Deck Fishbox?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
Was just wondering why Parker does not have indeck fish boxes in their boats (2520 or 2530 at least)? I thought maybe it might be a east coast thing but the more I look at east coast boats alot of them seem to have them. Allmost all west coast builders have them as well. Dont get me wrong I like my boat alot but more fish storage without loading up the deck with coolers would sure be nice.
Sorry if this has has been discussed before.
Mark

They got them in the floor on the WA 2310. And it is in the way, but only when you're trying to open it to throw fish in. but ya, much rather have it in the transom.

i like the transom box, i just wish it was designed so that you could still mount 2 or 3 rodholders across the transom. i fish on my buddy's parker with the transom box and really hate having to fish heavy fods from the rocket launcher. hard as hell to get out under strain.

By owning a parker you are clearly sacraficing some storage and overall convenience.....

I often say to myself when me and my boys gear up to go fishing for the "uggghh why is there no where to put this stuff" but then at the end of the day when i put everyting in a dock kart, give her a scrubbin, and say see ya later it is well worth it...

For offshore in particular...we load up 2 igloo 162q....1 with noting but ice and the other with the gear we plan to unload while out there...with the terminal gear bag ---- with the fish bag (for a lucky day) stowed inside the console we have no worries

don't get me wrong, there are plenty of ways to stow the gear, but for a 23se the gameplan is generally...1 cooler for ice....the other for gear (and hopefully fish on the way in) and the front cooler seat always for food and drink (never sees fish, try to keep it pure? ha)

The transom box is ok but have you ever tried putting a 50#(smallish size) halibut or 25 albacore in one? Just saying I am sure there is a reason behind it but I know it is a big turn-off on this coast. I have been trying to sell my 2530 to move up to a 2820 and every person interested has asked the question. I have had other boats with them and know many people who have them and have never heard anybody say they are inconvenient or fall into one.

it all depends on who youre asking if its inconvenient. I dont like the in deck hatches they either have to drain into the bilge or a macerator has to pump out the water. I dont like either option. I have the transom fish box with the storage underneath and I have lost 2 fish because someone wasnt being careful putting the fish in the box when it was still flopping. Needless to say after those occurences I am the only one who gets to pick the fish up off the deck and put them in the box. I have thought about getting a fish bag that keeps them cold and can go home with you at the end of the day if you dont clean them at the dock. You could always put a box in the floor but the gas tank takes up such a large portion of the deck especially on the 2530. I think most tanks on CC are centerline tanks under the leaning post so they have more room to put them there. Also they have the bilge access and batteries in that rear hatch as well. Chances are if the people ask about cushions and in deck hatches this is not the boat for them. Parkers are a rare breed of owners who dont want the bs.

Maybe I am not getting across what I am asking so let me try again. Is it a structural reason with the way these boats are built, a just "thats the way we have always done it so why change" or someother reason?
As to "regions" it seems most CCs in your "region" have them so I really doubt that has anything to do with it. Those are a couple nice fish there but if I could even get those in my transom box I highly doubt there would be room for more than an ice cube or two. Convienece? Is it more conveint to pack coolers down the dock to your boat, fish all day with them on deck, pack them back at the end of the day then to pump out a fishbox?
I was only courious as to Parkers thinking on this and not trying degrade the boat at all but it seems like I should have just kept it to myself.
By the way FishFactory out here on the west coast beleive it or not we use baittanks, outriggers, and anything else you east coast guys use. There really isnt as big a diff as you might think. We even have cable tv!

Well its been said a few times. parker builds simple low maintenance boats. In deck fishboxs require pumps- more maintenance and end up having dirt mold mildew stuck in them and around the gaskets. Above deck boxes like you have are gravity drain. I do agree the boxes in the 2530 arent as big and well laid out as the other boats but thats because they are more designed for cruising than fishing. Heck mine didnt even have the rod holders on the roof. Congrats on the cable tv btw.

SO I HAVE A 2005 2520 DV WITH A IN DECK FISH BOX... I LIVE IN NORTHEN CALIFORNIA AND FISH FOR ALBICORE WHEN THE WATER IS WITHIN 90 MILES OR SO AND MY FISH BOX CAN HOLD 41 25/30 POUND TUNA JUST TO GIVE YOU GUYS A IDEA ON HOW BIG IT IS.... IM VERY HAPPY WITH HOW MY ICE HOLDS UP I PACK ACOUPLE BLOCKS OF DRY ICE ON TOP OF THE BLOWN ICE I GET AT THE MARINAS.... I HAVE A BUDDY WHO HAS THE TRANSOM FISH BOXES AND HE ALLWAYS HAS TO CARRY A BUNCH OF COOLERS WHEN CHASING TUNA BECAUSE HE CAN NOT STORE THE FISH PROPER IN THE TRANSOM FISH BOX..... I HAVE A OFFSHORE 65 GALLON BAIT TANK ALSO AND I ALSO HAVE CABLE TV EVEN THIS FAR NORH IN CALI...
MIKE

Mark-

Some Parkers do have infloor boxes, so theres no structural reason most don't have them. The simple answer is Parker chooses not to offer them, IMO because of cost and added complexity they require to do them right. In floor box, no box, you could argue for days, both have good and bad points.

I thought the 2530 had the same 256 qt transom box as the other 25 models? I think that compares well to what most of the similar pilot house boats you find in the northwest have for fish storage.

Parker certainly didn't have halibut in mind with those transom boxes, I have been able to get as 70 lber in mine but it was tight, any bigger will have to sit on the deck in a bag.
Stacy

My 2320 also has an indeck fishbox, and the transom box. Both are typically used for storage because I never seem to catch any fish - but I'm going to work on that.

I would like to see pictures of that infloor too. Just to see where they located it. I kinda thought it might be a cost thing but if it can be done maybe I will look to have one installed as it doesnt look like the selling thing is gonna work out.
Stacy, The 2530 boxes are smaller than the 2520. Is that you I see at westport? I remember acouple years ago out tuna fishing, out of the fog the first boat I see a Parker. Kinda surprised me as you dont see to many out here.
Thanks for the replies and I really was not trying to argue. Hope it did not come across like that.

BradV":1hav3rmr said:
arima do you have any pictures of your in deck fish box? How does it drain?
MY BOAT IS IN BODEGA BAY RIGHT NOW I WILL BE GOING OVER TO IT ON TUESDAY AND I WILL TAKE SOME PICTURES AFTER WE PULL THE CRAB POTS..
MIKE

Some picts of the "Horndog" fishbox and more info here.

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=4586

1107174-16-05%20new%20boat%200514454-med.jpg

mark":33v10zeh said:
Was just wondering why Parker does not have indeck fish boxes in their boats (2520 or 2530 at least)? I thought maybe it might be a east coast thing but the more I look at east coast boats alot of them seem to have them. Allmost all west coast builders have them as well. Dont get me wrong I like my boat alot but more fish storage without loading up the deck with coolers would sure be nice.
Sorry if this has has been discussed before.
Mark

m2cw
Parker is a well established boat company with many long time dealers. They both communicate with each other on a regular basis on sales, customer's use (fishing, cruising, etc) and requests, and monitor the boating industry. These were offered in previous yrs (mine has one) but the demand ceased.

Mark, I trailer to Westport often, I have definitely seen your boat down there. Only saw one other Parker in WP, a 21 CC out at the halibut grounds this year. I saw you that day in the fog, sept '08, ocean was a little bumpy but there were plenty of albacore around.

Give me a shout next time you see me. Heres a pic of my rig.

Attachments

• PI5Send1.Jpg
    PI5Send1.Jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,213
FishFactory":273w3bef said:
IMO, in deck fish boxes are:

inconvenient
require troublesome macerator pumps
won't hold ice (deck water washes in)
somewhat dangerous (easy to slip in)

I really like the transom fish box Parker uses. Most Carolina Customs have transom boxes.

inconvenient - Hauling 150 qt coolers is worse. Takes up all the "ballroom" space we are so proud of.

require troublesome macerator pumps - Not true. Can drain into bilge and have bilge pump out melted ice or water.

won't hold ice (deck water washes in) - I've never fished a boat where there was soooo much water coming in over the rails that it posed a threat to the ice. Besides, good in deck boxes can be designed to minimize that issue.

somewhat dangerous (easy to slip in) - Only if you are a doofus.

I'm with Mark on this one. It's a fishing boat. Fishing boats should have in deck boxes with nice long openings. On the PH series, those inadequately insulated transom boxes are almost worthless.

Even better the scales blood and water end up in the bilge so now the bilge is getting used and clogged for when you really need it. I would like to know where the boats can hold the fish boxes? The gas tank on mine takes up half the cockpit space. Maybe parker should be the first manufacturer to have flip up gunnels and a cooler underneat that kinda like the pick up truck with the tool boxes down the sides.

Back