Inexpensive, DIY ideas

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodick93

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many varied threads on individual ideas, but I thought it may be helpful to have a compilation thread.
Let us limit this to simple(ish) and inexpensive(ish) ideas. Also, let us limit the questions to instant messaging so that readers don't have to view 20 unrelated posts for every idea.

There is a thread on THT of a similar nature: https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/618655-what-some-diy-ideas-your-boat-7.html

I have a few, PLEASE pardon the filthy boat!

Tool-less drain plug and handy storage:

IMG_20230122_165324730.jpg

Aluminum yardstick (put fish's nose on the hull stiffener, place bigger fish on the tray, flatfish on the deck to measure, and rod holders made from stainless flat bar/thick shrink wrap:
IMG_20230122_165726071.jpg

Aluminum scupper drain filter to keep debris out of drains, including cabin drain, bend to fit:
Screenshot_20230122-122100.pngIMG_20230122_165453684_HDR.jpg

Aluminum trailer walkboards out of diamondplate, secured with a few bolts and 5200:
IMG_20230122_120950674_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ana
There are many varied threads on individual ideas, but I thought it may be helpful to have a compilation thread.
Let us limit this to simple(ish) and inexpensive(ish) ideas.
There is a thread on THT of a similar nature: https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/618655-what-some-diy-ideas-your-boat-7.html

I have a few, PLEASE pardon the filthy boat!

Tool-less drain plug and handy storage:

View attachment 35466

Aluminum yardstick (put fish's nose on the hull stiffener, place bigger fish on the tray, flatfish on the deck to measure, and rod holders made from stainless flat bar/thick shrink wrap:
View attachment 35465

Aluminum scupper drain filter to keep debris out of drains, including cabin drain, bend to fit:
View attachment 35463View attachment 35467

Aluminum trailer wallboards, diamonplate, secured with a few bolts and 5200:
View attachment 35464

Here are two DIY ideas:
1. Aluminum walk ways made from alum. diamond plate and some alum. angle. Makes solo launching/loading a breeze.

2. Tackle storage in rear jump seat area. Leftover starboard and some ss screws...holds 4 3700 plano or smaller boxes. Easy to remove for sandbar days. Always looking for storage in a Parker!

Attachments

• 20210406_174756.jpg
    20210406_174756.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210406_175142.jpg
    20210406_175142.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20210322_100400.jpg
    20210322_100400.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 7
image.jpg

these things. sorry, i don’t have a pic of them on the boat but i use them in multiple places on my 2501 for additional rod/gaff/harpoon/etc under gunwalls.

I don’t have a picture and honestly the idea isn’t really worthy of a picture BUT when your retrieving a boat with trailer, taping the winch strap hook to the end of a telescopic boat pole/hook can be used to hook the bow eye of the boat from a distance that will be helpful in keeping your feet dry.

Don’t get carried away with the tape, once you hook the bow eye, you‘ll want to be able to disconnect the boat pole from the winch strap hook by pulling on the boat pole…….

Good idea, but use weak tape like masking tape, not something tough like Gorilla tape. And if you could tape the safety catch on the winch strap back out of the way, it would be even easier.

I don’t have a picture and honestly the idea isn’t really worthy of a picture BUT when your retrieving a boat with trailer, taping the winch strap hook to the end of a telescopic boat pole/hook can be used to hook the bow eye of the boat from a distance that will be helpful in keeping your feet dry.

Don’t get carried away with the tape, once you hook the bow eye, you‘ll want to be able to disconnect the boat pole from the winch strap hook by pulling on the boat pole…….
We use clips like these for fall protection/rescue at work. They get attached to the end of an extendable paint pole, and hold open a carabiner so that a rescue line can be clipped onto the harness of someone who’s suspended after a fall. I wonder if they’d work to hold open a trailer strap hook. Might be worth the $25 to find out!

https://www.rocknrescue.com/product...Me-3rjcFmc3yqsXkWM0M0BBeBj_V-dXsaAoFHEALw_wcB

I converted my SoCal fishing boat to a San Juan Islands cruising boat. I removed the bait tank and replaced it with a tool box giving us storage and a table top for cooking. I also made a dingy rack from two inch PVC for about $100. The dingy rack is held in place with a couple of ropes. so no holes to drill.
My wife and I lived on the boat for 18 days last July.

Attachments

• IMG_2630.jpeg
    IMG_2630.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
Nice! Are those decals available for sale on this site, I'm not seeing them? I'd love to buy some if the center console version is available.
Years ago, Dale (CP founder) sold misc. ClassicParker items like flags/burgees, ball caps, Koozies, key-floats, and the window stickers; both the pilothouse model and the center-console model, here on CP. After Dale left another CP member had mentioned that he or someone else might take over that 'business' from Dale. That didn't happen, as far as I know. Our new administrator, Angie, sent me this window sticker when I re-upped as a Supporting Member. She had posted a message here saying that she would send the sticker to those who became Supporting Members. I had, at the time, suggested that she could also sell them here on CP. It could be she prefers to give them as a 'Thank You' for Supporting Members? I don't the answer to that....

Last edited:
Anchor rode length indicator. Stretch your dry rode out, measure your desired increments. Tape off if you like sharp lines and use paint meant for plastic. I only need 200 feet.
For example, when deploying anchor (say a scope of 5) in 30 feet of water, just go straight to the maroon markIMG_20230224_152758219_HDR.jpgIMG_20230224_152855262_HDR.jpg.
If you have a couple buddies you can share paint. I loaded it in there pretty good. This will be year three. A little stiff at first until it breaks in.

Years ago, Dale (CP founder) sold misc. ClassicParker items like flags/burgees, ball caps, Koozies, key-floats, and the window stickers; both the pilothouse model and the center-console model, here on CP. After Dale left another CP member had mentioned that he or someone else might take over that 'business' from Dale. That didn't happen, as far as I know. Our new administrator, Angie, sent me this window sticker when I re-upped as a Supporting Member. She had posted a message here saying that she would send the sticker to those who became Supporting Members. I had, at the time, suggested that she could also sell them here on CP. It could be she prefers to give them as a 'Thank You' for Supporting Members? I don't the answer to that....
What became of Dale? I remember when he put his Parker up for sale.

Back