Inspection Pie Plate replacement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you spin the handle on top the little bar underneath (looks like a triangular head) that you can barely see at the bottom of the picture drops down and then you are able to pick the plate up a little bit, slide it to one side, then tilt it and pull the whole thing out. When you put it back in you do the same thing in reverse and then make sure the lip on the bottom of the circular part is lined up in the hole then tighten it down to pull the gasket tight. After you get it out the first time it makes a lot more sense and is easier. The bracket on my 2530 with twins has 2 access plates that are the same.
Thank you! I very-much appreciate your clear instructions/description,... How tight should I make it when re-installed? I have a tendency to 'over-tighten' some things.... well near about everything!
Is 'snug' enough or does it need to be Very tight?... By the way, the 2530 is the one Parker I would love to have over our 2520.... I'm surprised Parker stopped making them.....

Thank you! I very-much appreciate your clear instructions/description,... How tight should I make it when re-installed? I have a tendency to 'over-tighten' some things.... well near about everything!
Is 'snug' enough or does it need to be Very tight?... By the way, the 2530 is the one Parker I would love to have over our 2520.... I'm surprised Parker stopped making them.....
Just hand tight. As I recall the instructions specifically warned not to over tighten them.

Looks like a toe stubbed
The Armstrong does rise up slightly above the deck but you’d REALLY have to try to stub your toe on it. I’ll take the chance on that in exchange for dryness underneath. I have never had a pry out stay as dry as the Armstrong.

IMO and having personally lived it, Parker doesn’t have a problem with how they build and install fuel tanks. The design and process is solid, the problem lies with the pry out inspection ports that Parker installs above their fuel tanks that all leak..

Seems like the original company has been bought out. The new stuff they sell under the same name has a different part number so I dunno if their gaskets would be a 100% match. But if they're not responsive then the quickest, easiest route to a new gasket might be Tempress, they have a variety of sizes and shipped quickly when I ordered one a few months ago:
Deck Plate O-Rings – Store – TEMPRESS

If it doesn't fit for some reason,, at least it's a small investment to try it. You might check if any of your rectangle hatches are tempress and order gaskets for those too while you're at it. And if the main one you're looking for doesn't fit, maybe just buy the tempress deck plate and you'll have a spare gasket on hand for sometime down the road.
I concur I will probably just order a couple from tempress. Down the road I am going to replace the pry up with the screw down kind

We have the same Innovative Solution M6AP pie plates on our 2520.... Trying to think ahead, after reading here on CP how hard replacements were to find, 4 years ago I found an O-ring at Agri-Supple Company in Greenville, NC that worked; but had to 'stretch' it a tad; I have not been able to find any more there recently.... I DID find this replacement O-ring at Walmart on-line.... I sent the link below just for fun/humor! (Actually, it's really not funny). I thought it was a miss-print; it is not. They also list the 4" O-ring for around $46.00...
View attachment 33597
Crazy! Tempress has them for 2.75 a piece. Andy do you remember what diameter O ring you used? My boat is stored about an hour away and I forgot to measure diameter last time I was there

Crazy! Tempress has them for 2.75 a piece. Andy do you remember what diameter O ring you used? My boat is stored about an hour away and I forgot to measure diameter last time I was there
The O-ring I got at the Agri-Supply did not have a size marking; They had a huge variety on a shelf, in plain plastic bags.... I took the pie-plate there and found one that was 'just ok' ; it needs stretching a tad; I have it as 'a spare'.... I'm sorry, I didn't get your email until tonight; if you are looking for the original o-ring measurement I'll pull the cover tomorrow and send you the size?.

The O-ring I got at the Agri-Supply did not have a size marking; They had a huge variety on a shelf, in plain plastic bags.... I took the pie-plate there and found one that was 'just ok' ; it needs stretching a tad; I have it as 'a spare'.... I'm sorry, I didn't get your email until tonight; if you are looking for the original o-ring measurement I'll pull the cover tomorrow and send you the size?.
No worries thanks for the response

My apologies; we have a family emergency and I have not been home (where our boat is) to pull the pie plate to measure the o-ring.... I hope to get back sometime tomorrow and will try to follow up...
All good, hope all is well. I ordered a couple 6” ones from Tempress

https://www.armstrongnautical.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/5-Deck-Plate-Flyer.pdf
They do seal the BEST.....However...If the deck is not designed from the get go to have a recess for them.....Then they are toe stubbers , as they stand proud of the surface.

The bar will not fall off if you loosen them to much...It has a "E" clip to prevent that. The seals stick hard....IE: loosen it and they don't move. You have to loosen the bar then bump them with a Rubber, Leather or Deadblow hammer.

Back