Installing a Lewmar 700 Windlass on older 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Island Dreamer

Reaction score
I'm about to install my Lewmar 700 Windlass and everything seems pretty straight forward but a few questions have come up and hope to hear from anyone that installed it themselves.
1) My boat has a bow pulpit but no deck lid to the locker. I've seen the windlass mounted at the back of the pulpit in-between the cleats. I've also seen it mounted further back where it is dropping rode and chain in to the deeper portion of the locker. Doing this looks like it will require the fabrication of a plate that make the windlass on the same level at the pulpit. Is the first option still ok if I only have 250 feet of rope and 30 feet of chain?
2) I have two batteries. Should windlass be attached to one or both?
3) The best video on Youtube for install shows the use of a Perko On OFF switch. Is this switch dedicated to just the windlass circuit? I already have a Perko Switch for the two batteries.
Here is the link if anyone needs help in the future with wiring help

My 700 was installed during the original build.

It sits on the pulpit between the cleats. For my rode I have 300' of 8 plait 1/2" rope and 40' of chain. It all goes into and comes out of the locker very well.

Originally had two batteries (one for each engine) both with Perko switches. The starboard battery fed the house. I added house battery and an ACR. The windless is connected to the port through its own breaker on the panel to the port Perko switch. Using the Perko switches I can combine all three batteries if needed.

I've also seen it mounted further back where it is dropping rode and chain in to the deeper portion of the locker.

THIS is what you want!

Attachments

• 100_5147.JPG
    100_5147.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 96
You take the pix and Have it fabbed then. Along with the mounting pattern. That one was built out of 3/4in Marine ply......Laminated and covered with fiberglass...If I did it again.....It would be out of 1/4in alum.......That piece takes a LOT of stress.

It sets the windless high so the chain does not drag when retriving the Ground tackle.....It also gives it a higher elevation for the way it drops.....

Got all the supplies today and was so excited to start the install! Problem is that the chain that came with the boat is 5/16 G4 which will not fit in the 700 gypsy. The Lewmar 1000 gypsy can take 5/16 chain. It look like a gypsy from the 1000 can be ordered. Anyone heard of the larger gypsy going on the 700 model? I've got 30 feet of G4 chain and 300 feet of 8 plait rode. I nearly fell over the rail when I hear how much the two items costs. I'd rather upgrade the gypsy if possible than down sizing and replacing the rode and chain.

THIS is what you want!
looks like you have built a box which sits behind the factory bowsprit and covers the hawse hole ? seriously like the cleat position if it acts as a chaffing plate for the chain and does not foul. are you happy with kleat size or would you think about going up another size. looks like all of the load on the box is in compression and relies on the winch bolts for tension to the application. Did you put a plate under the deck or just fender washers and/or piling washers. looks like a job well done

There was no hause hole there.....There is now...
Fender washers
cleate is fine
Here's another pix......As you can see the height is needed so the chain / line do not chafe.

Now...If I built it again... The box would be fabbed in alum. There are great stress's on that block.

Attachments

• 100_5157.JPG
    100_5157.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 28
I spoke to the folks at Lewmar today. A gypsy from from a 1000 can be used on a 700 windlass. Now I can use the 5/16 G4 chain in the 700.

Back