Installing LowranceNET NEMA 2000 system

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdog

Reaction score
Ok so I got a new stand alone sonar unit with tranducer, temp, and speed sensors. The Navman 2100 was backordered so I bagged that and went with a Lowrance multi-display unit LMX400 with fuel monitoring probe. Now that the fuel monitoring hardware is settled, I will be putting a NMEA 2000 backbone in the boat. This allows me to share data among the head units and have speed and distance added to the fuel monitoring data. :wink: Also it allows me to easily add a new network color GPS/map unit next year. The one I have now is not network compatible and is B and W. I pulled a CAT6 network throughout my house, now I get to do the same to my Parker!

Any else used a networked marine data system or installed one? Tips, tricks, shortcuts are all welcome.

John

BlueSeas makes some of those "euro-style" bus connectors that works well when connecting NMEA items.
I'll see if I can find a photo somewhere...

Edit:
Here we go... How about something like this to connect those little thin wires?

19585.jpg

http://www.bluesea.com/dept.asp?d_id=74 ... e=2&show=1

Aaaahh! I have been waiting for someone to guinea pig the LowranceNet stuff! Hope it all goes together as you would like. I'm still trying to figure out how my X-102c is going to fit in with the fuel management scenario. You see, it has no software upgradeability. :(

I am curious about the expandability of the GPS units with the radar sets. I want to keep my displays and sizes to an absolute minimum.

:shock: Looks like I'm a little behind the high-tech times!
Those things look like water tubing connectors. :)

Ranger Tim":yxd553rc said:
Aaaahh! I have been waiting for someone to guinea pig the LowranceNet stuff! Hope it all goes together as you would like. I'm still trying to figure out how my X-102c is going to fit in with the fuel management scenario. You see, it has no software upgradeability. :(

I am curious about the expandability of the GPS units with the radar sets. I want to keep my displays and sizes to an absolute minimum.

Tim,
The X-102C is NEMA 2000 compatable but you need a display to do the fuel management math. The Fuel Managenment Gauge will take data (speed and distance) and combine it with data (fuel flow) from the fuel module to give you MPG, GPH, etc.

John

OK I have finished designing my network. Here's what it looks like:

Slide1.JPG

And here's the procurement list:

Slide2.JPG

Now I need to map the paths. I think following the current transducer wire is probably the way to go.

John

Just curious ... why the paddlewheel speed thingy? I've never seen one match the GPS for accuracy.

One because GPS measures true speed between two ground points (relative to the bottom) and the paddle wheel measures actual speed through the water. Having both is usefull because a five knot water flow especially at lower boat speeds makes quite a difference if you want to know how long it will take to get somewhere as opposed to "how fast your boat goes". Very usefull for trolling.

Two because the pitot speedo on my Yamaha is all but useless.

Also, and more importantly I don't have a NEMA compatable GPS. So I don't have digital GPS speed data available to the Multi-Function unit. I can't afford a new unit this year so for the cheap cost of the paddle wheel, I'll have speed available to the fuel sensor!

John,

I figured that would be the case. I am a bit disappointed that the X-102c won't do the calculations to give me the fuel management piece, especially after the advertising implied it would. I have met several Lowrance reps and they have all been clueless about LowranceNet.

What is the real benefit in having my sonar NMEA 2000 compatible if all it will do is duplicate another guage/display? Will Lowrance admit it misled purchasers of certain units with their ads? I still love the sonar, but I will have to investigate the Lowrance GPS thoroughly before I sink any money into a product without upgradeable software again.

I guess the X-102c is not really "Radar Ready" either! :roll:

Back