Internal GPS antenna and Sport Cabins

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legal Bill

Reaction score
My old Garmin 2110 with external antenna is acting up. I replaced the antenna two seasons ago and it is again unable to hold signal. I was looking at replacements with internal antennas and was wondering if any of you have experience using them inside a Sport Cabin. I plan to mount it on top of the helm console where my old unit is now located. But it seems there is a lot of cabin structure directly above that the signals would need to penetrate. Please let me know your experience with these devices. If it matters, I’m looking at Garmin, Simrad and Raymarine 9 inch screens.

Thanks in advance.

I have two MFDs mounted in my 2520XLD. A 1042XSV button in the helm and a 942xs touch from the overhead. Both receive a strong GPS signal. Incidentally, the 942xs is sitting under my Radom IMG_3307.JPG

No problem what so ever. I have had 2 different simrad MFDs in the pilot house with no issues with GPS signal

As said...They get a strong siginal and the old antenna can be removed. :)

Now I will say.....The weakest internal antenna I have seen is in Hummingbird. But we don't even look at that brand for our boats.

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the prompt responses. Antidote, I too have a Radome (with aluminum pedestal mount) a few inches forward of the general area where I will be mounting this unit, so your post is particularly encouraging. The previous owner attached a Starboard base to the hardtop which extends a bit beyond the leading edge of the hardtop. The aluminum base, radome, and search light are mounted on the Starboard base. So while the GPS won’t be directly under all of that, it will be just behind it.

My old Garmin 2110 with external antenna is acting up. I replaced the antenna two seasons ago and it is again unable to hold signal. I was looking at replacements with internal antennas and was wondering if any of you have experience using them inside a Sport Cabin. I plan to mount it on top of the helm console where my old unit is now located. But it seems there is a lot of cabin structure directly above that the signals would need to penetrate. Please let me know your experience with these devices. If it matters, I’m looking at Garmin, Simrad and Raymarine 9 inch screens.

Thanks in advance.
One more experience, in a 2520 Pilothouse. We have the Garmin 1040 XS (2014 era) mounted center-line in the 'dash', above the wheel, and also a SiTex GPS/plotter mounted over-head, under near where the Radar dome is mounted on the roof. Both receive single without a hitch.

As said...They get a strong siginal and the old antenna can be removed. :)

Now I will say.....The weakest internal antenna I have seen is in Hummingbird. But we don't even look at that brand for our boats.
Not A Pilothouse..but my GPS signal is just fine...:)vmatxsls06_1239009745655-1-image000000.jpg

Thanks in advance.
I have a Garmin 942XS flush mounted on a center console and this season, it has not been able to locate position upon startup. I've talked to Garmin and they have sent me an external antenna to connect to it. I'm now waiting for the NMEA 2000 cable setup to arrive to do so. Last week, I launched and spent over 15 minutes + drifting and rebooting the system and eventually, it found position. But not fun when you are in a new area and don't know the water ways.

I have a Simrad in the Pilot House, internal antenna and haven’t had an issue. I even connect to my house WiFi when the boat is in the driveway for spring preps to download any software updates to the Simrad.
I have added an HS60 heading sensor/GPS/digital compass to the top of the pilot house and use that now as my primary source for position info. It enables the radar to do MARPA target tracking as well.

I have a Simrad in the Pilot House, internal antenna and haven’t had an issue. I even connect to my house WiFi when the boat is in the driveway for spring preps to download any software updates to the Simrad.
I have added an HS60 heading sensor/GPS/digital compass to the top of the pilot house and use that now as my primary source for position info. It enables the radar to do MARPA target tracking as well.

I may need one of those myself. We’ll see how it works when I’m underway.

I installed a new Simrad GO 9 yesterday. At the dock it has no problem finding and holding gps signals. I’m waiting for a change in the weather to test it at sea. I think it may need a heading sensor in the future.

The heading sensor, HS60 in my case, also enables radar overlay on the chart plotter/GPS.
If anyone is interested I can start a new topic and put up some screen shots.

The heading sensor, HS60 in my case, also enables radar overlay on the chart plotter/GPS.
If anyone is interested I can start a new topic and put up some screen shots.

That would be fine. But feel free to put the pics here if you like.

With these internal antennas:.......When I install units.....It's under a metal roof RV shelter.....with a Hugh Oak tree shading it. The units will come up to a accuracy of about 9ft. Thats pretty damn good considering stuff in the way of the siginal.....and yes...out from under it , it gets more accurate.

I think I’m going to pull the boat to install the new transducer that came with the Simrad GO. I’m hoping it won’t be a big job.

I have two Simrad evo3’s flush mounted in my 2320. It seems they interfere with each other as I lose the gps fix. I am forced to shut one off to regain the gps fix. I have talked with Simrad tech support several times. Seems both units are set up correctly per tech. Pain in the ass.

Back