I've Mounted My Liferaft

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esfishdoc

Reaction score
After 2 seasons of running offshore up to 60 miles I've decided it was time to get a liferaft. I already have an EPIRB which offers one level of comfort and security. I wanted to go all the way after reading one too many stories of boats sinking.

I decided to go with the Plastimo Offshore + 6 man liferaft in a canister. I'm sure the valese would have been just fine but with the canister I don't have to worry about covering it up or moving it around.

I decided to mount it off center for several reasons. If it was mounted in the center it would absolutely require one to be on the roof for a manual deployment. With it mounted to the side it is accessable from standing on the gunwale. Also, it weights about 95 lbs so instead of the weight in the middle it has a lot of it distrubuted down on the forward port corner of the pilothouse. When I'm out alone it will also help balance my weight at the helm.

It is mounted with 3/8 inch stainless bolts. Drilling through the roof makes one appreciate just how well built the roof is. I'm sure the weight in the center would not have been a problem had I wanted to go that route.

The profile of the mounted raft is still several inches below the radar.

I've got a hydrostatic release I have not yet installed. It is unlikely that this would ever be needed as these types of boats rarely sink far enough below the surface to activate it. However, I wouldn't want to be 50 miles out and be the first to have this happen and not have a hydrostatic release.

I ordered the raft from LRSE.

http://www.lrse.com/

Dan was very helpfull and made it an easy purchase. The raft, mount and release will set you back about 3k.

Richard

Attachments

• Do liferafts raise fish.jpg
    Do liferafts raise fish.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,520
  • Getting ready for fishing (2).jpg
    Getting ready for fishing (2).jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,518
  • close up of liferaft.jpg
    close up of liferaft.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,516
  • another closeup.jpg
    another closeup.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,515
Looks great!

I bet Megabyte is drooling over those outriggah mounts too ;) !

esfishdoc":zjej5rvb said:
I decided to mount it off center for several reasons. If it was mounted in the center it would absolutely require one to be on the roof for a manual deployment. With it mounted to the side it is accessable from standing on the gunwale. Also, it weights about 95 lbs so instead of the weight in the middle it has a lot of it distrubuted down on the forward port corner of the pilothouse. When I'm out alone it will also help balance my weight at the helm.

esfishdoc,

I see that you installed it offcenter on the port side. What will you do if your boat is listing badly to port or if the wind conditions are such that deploying to the starboard is preferable. I am asking because I am trying to decide where to install the raft canister on my 2320. I have been thinking that installing the canister in the center may be preferable if in an emergency deploying to one of the sides is preferable.

Also can you tell me what length bolts you used?

Thanx

joshdad":1dvpmz8o said:
esfishdoc":1dvpmz8o said:

esfishdoc,

I see that you installed it offcenter on the port side. What will you do if your boat is listing badly to port or if the wind conditions are such that deploying to the starboard is preferable. I am asking because I am trying to decide where to install the raft canister on my 2320. I have been thinking that installing the canister in the center may be preferable if in an emergency deploying to one of the sides is preferable.

Also can you tell me what length bolts you used?

Thanx

The bolt question is easy... 3 of them were 2 inches and the forward port required 2 1/2 inches as the structure was thicker....

Here is my reasoning for mounting it to one side: With it in the center there is only one way to get to it and that is to get up on the roof. With it to the side there are now potentialy two ways to get to it.... on the roof or standing on the gunwale.

If the boat is listing badly to port you are going up top whether it is mounted in the center or port side..... and if it is listing to the port side that is probably going to be the lee of the boat which is the preferred launch site.... unless there is a bad fire.

If the boat is listing to starboard you again have two options... up top or from the port gunwale.

In the center will require always going foward and then on top of the roof.

If one didn't fish and did not require or desire the rocket launcher then mounting to the rear for access from the cockpit would be desireable.

This is my reasoning. I'm open to suggestions.

Richard

did you remove your anchor light to the stern?

Back