Jigging Bluefins

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky John

Reaction score
Here is a video from a couple weeks back. Some people might pick up a few pointers in it, like when to gaff a fish, how to thumb the spool when trying to finish off a larger tuna.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed15WKG ... SCBQsI8cow
Please note I was only a month in after rotator cuff surgery for a total rupture so don't show this to my surgeon. Also note that my friend used a Trevala which is not a good choice fighting tuna. Watch how line digs into grips and doesn't bend parabolically

Very nice bluefin... Getting that gaff back means you never really lost it!

In all honesty, I bass fish with that rod... that def some LIGHT tackle for charlie.

I told him those trevala suck lol. I bought one a few years ago and on the first cast I had a 120-140 lb bluefin. I almost lost my thumb because of the way they bend. I only use trevala for bass and tile fish. My go to jigging rod is a Black Hole Cape Cod which I have a 250,350 and 450 gram sticks

Great job, sounds like your partner was excitable. lol. While I don't jig for tuna I prefer a faster action rod with more action toward the tip and more ass in it, that rod looks like it was really stressed where the foregrip meets the blank. Adding another guide will help keep the line off the blank and grip.. Also, another reason for redundancy, even gafs. Thanks for sharing...

johnkn":2w0iw3ai said:
Great job, sounds like your partner was excitable. lol. While I don't jig for tuna I prefer a faster action rod with more action toward the tip and more ass in it, that rod looks like it was really stressed where the foregrip meets the blank. Adding another guide will help keep the line off the blank and grip.. Also, another reason for redundancy, even gafs. Thanks for sharing...
Exactly what I said years ago, that first guide is too far from the grip and the way the rod loads up is a disaster waiting to happen. After seeing my friend hyper ventilate 30 seconds in we showed it to his wife and she signed him up to the gym. His new nickname is Cardio Chris lol

Back