LED TRIM TAB LIGHTS AND TAKING ON WATER…

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyparker2

Reaction score
Hi all- so great to have a place for Parker convo! I had a couple weird things happen to me on my last trip out last night. I switched to my #2 batt. to alternate using them and the LED lights on my trim tabs didn’t work with that battery. I heard the tabs moving but no lights. So I had to switch back to batt. #1. Also I never almost ever take on water and when I pulled my plug about a gallon or more purged. I wasn’t in rough seas but I scratched and chipped my keel in bow (frankly I don’t even know how). Is it even remotely possible to take on water through a 1/4” chip of paint?

Hi all- so great to have a place for Parker convo! I had a couple weird things happen to me on my last trip out last night. I switched to my #2 batt. to alternate using them and the LED lights on my trim tabs didn’t work with that battery. I heard the tabs moving but no lights. So I had to switch back to batt. #1. Also I never almost ever take on water and when I pulled my plug about a gallon or more purged. I wasn’t in rough seas but I scratched and chipped my keel in bow (frankly I don’t even know how). Is it even remotely possible to take on water through a 1/4” chip of paint?

Time to trace the wiring on those lights. The tabs are likely factory, the tab lights are almost certainly aftermarket so there’s no telling how they’re wired. If properly connected there’s no reason why the switch position should affect them.

It’s very unlikely that your chipped hull is causing water ingress, but if it’s accessible it should be checked and repaired. If it’s chipped down to the fiberglass mat, you’ll want to at least seal it with epoxy or a marine sealant to prevent water absorption until you can have a permanent repair done. If it happens again, taste the water to see if it’s fresh or saltwater. More than likely, it’s rainwater that accumulated in the low point of the hull (usually at the deepest part of the vee when the boat is sitting level) and only drained out at the ramp because the boat was on an incline.

I agree with Pelagic. You most likely chipped the keel on the trailer. If you don't already have them, I suggest you put trailer pads on all the cross members, to include your axles.

Time to trace the wiring on those lights. The tabs are likely factory, the tab lights are almost certainly aftermarket so there’s no telling how they’re wired. If properly connected there’s no reason why the switch position should affect them.

It’s very unlikely that your chipped hull is causing water ingress, but if it’s accessible it should be checked and repaired. If it’s chipped down to the fiberglass mat, you’ll want to at least seal it with epoxy or a marine sealant to prevent water absorption until you can have a permanent repair done. If it happens again, taste the water to see if it’s fresh or saltwater. More than likely, it’s rainwater that accumulated in the low point of the hull (usually at the deepest part of the vee when the boat is sitting level) and only drained out at the ramp because the boat was on an incline.
Thank you so much for the reply! I went out again and the lights worked on Battery 2 but you are probably correct. As far as tasting that water not sure I’m inclined but I never took on a drop and now I’m regularly draining about a gallon after a day on the water. I think I must have been hit by an object from the road while trailoring. Thanks again! God bless

I agree with Pelagic. You most likely chipped the keel on the trailer. If you don't already have them, I suggest you put trailer pads on all the cross members, to include your axles.
Thank you! I will research trailer pads

God bless

I have a brand new 25SE and alway see water in the bilge which is something I am not happy about. I know that washing boat and rain since mine is on a lift, does get water in the anchor hatch and other hatches including the one in the floor. Those hatches do not keep anything dry.
I have done the taste taste and did taste a little salt water, which now has me looking for where that possibly could come from.
2 bait wells, and lines not leaking. Wish my bilge was dry like my old pathfinder!

I have a brand new 25SE and alway see water in the bilge which is something I am not happy about. I know that washing boat and rain since mine is on a lift, does get water in the anchor hatch and other hatches including the one in the floor. Those hatches do not keep anything dry.
I have done the taste taste and did taste a little salt water, which now has me looking for where that possibly could come from.
2 bait wells, and lines not leaking. Wish my bilge was dry like my old pathfinder!
Did you figure out where the water was coming from. I am experiencing some water after a day out (same rough water or flat day). I changed out the Seacock and ran the boat with the line shut and still had a small amount of water (noticeable when getting up on a plan or when I take the boat out - our ramp is pretty steep). This wasn’t a problem last year…

What kind of boats do y'all have? The anchor lockers drain to the bilge in many of them. I glasses the bottom of the anchor locker and drilled an overboard drain. Now my only water gets in through the plastic deck hatch. 2320.

Back