Livewell circuit breaker tripping

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleopoldi914

Reaction score
New 21se owner here I have about 65 hours in the boat and had it since March.

I just started using the livewell and randomly last week the breaker was tripped. I pushed the breaker in and used the livewell for the whole trip with no issues.

Today on the next trip I was out and breaker tripped again. Untripped it and it kept going iut every 5 minutes or so. The pump sounds like it is dieing.

this is a brand new boat and the dealer is an hour and a half away. Is there any easy way to test if it is the pump?

I looked online and saw some pumps have a cartridge does this one have one?

I am not great with electronics but don’t want to pull the boat over something so stupid.

video of what is happening enclosed

https://youtube.com/shorts/Q18DXHX83DE?feature=share

Attachments

• E8241B5F-8426-4D8C-9BFF-FC7D35F03A52.jpeg
    E8241B5F-8426-4D8C-9BFF-FC7D35F03A52.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 11
Breakers trip for a reason. I doubt it is a direct short. That would cause the breaker to flip immediately. It sounds like the motor has an issue and when it starts drawing too many amps the breaker goes. It could be a bad breaker, but that is unlikely. If there is enough slack in the wires you could switch them to a same size fused switch and see what happens to confirm that it is not the fuse. You could take the pump off and see if any debris are caught in the intake etc. If there is nothing there you may have to just replace the pump. Maybe they will send you a new one and you install. You will need shrink type butt connectors and a heat source to shrink them.

Sounds like there is something stuck in the pump or the impeller is broken. There's an internal switch in the pump that will turn off when overheating occurs (why? to prevent a fire). When it cools it will come back on line and start running again.

Is this a cartridge swap? How do I check the impeller?
I can kind of hear the motor straining a little bit before it dies……

the other stupid question I have is it seems like this bilge area is never dry and then accumulates like crud is that normal?

anyway dealer owes me some hardware screws around my livewell are rusting. I keep hitting it with barkeepers friend and the rest goes away for a few weeks.

Last edited:
Remember this..... "Just cause it's new, Doesn't mean it's worth a Damn!"

It's a Sureflow.......aka NO Flow......All manufactures install them...If you get 1 1/2yrs out of them ...Your Lucky......Your's has failed early.

Replace it with a new Rule Dual port......100mi tow to the dealer and have another junk pump installed? Just replace it yourself with what I said....Calk it up to boat ownership. It's part of the game.

Also look closely at that breaker.....What size is it? It's marked on the backside.

Remember this..... "Just cause it's new, Doesn't mean it's worth a Damn!"

It's a Sureflow.......aka NO Flow......All manufactures install them...If you get 1 1/2yrs out of them ...Your Lucky......Your's has failed early.

Replace it with a new Rule Dual port......100mi tow to the dealer and have another junk pump installed? Just replace it yourself with what I said....Calk it up to boat ownership. It's part of the game.

Also look closely at that breaker.....What size is it? It's marked on the backside.
Thank you, yes I will check the fuse from the back ans confirm the size. Then I see you can actually cut the wires and replace the cartridge. Maybe I can do that. I can also take the cartridge out and feel around for debris. Sounds like I have a plan

The pump cartridge is easy to remove to inspect or replace. HOWEVER, make sure you close the seasick valve under the pump housing before removing the pump or water will come rushing in the boat. (This may have been obvious to you, but just making sure. 😉)

Thank you everyone I checked the circuit breaker and it is a 5. Is that right?

Thanks for the advice on turning the sea cock off, this is my first boat with a wash down and livewell.
I never realized how clutch a livewell and wash down was

Attachments

• B2A62CCE-1861-468E-98F1-C69A3E42675A.jpeg
    B2A62CCE-1861-468E-98F1-C69A3E42675A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
Swapped the pump cartridge and used the solder heat shrink connectors with a heat pen pretty cool and easy way to use it.

theae pumps have a 2 year warranty so trying to get another one under warranty for the one that broke.
Pump ran well.

the pump they had in there looked very old

pics of the old pump and the connectors I used. I practiced with them before I did the pump.

Attachments

• C124D043-AD30-456A-9076-DAD5F79E71E7.jpeg
    C124D043-AD30-456A-9076-DAD5F79E71E7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • EB23B39C-B31F-4325-8DDB-454D7EA489F3.jpeg
    EB23B39C-B31F-4325-8DDB-454D7EA489F3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 37D2A9CE-50D8-42BB-B875-4DA3398129B1.jpeg
    37D2A9CE-50D8-42BB-B875-4DA3398129B1.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 3D56D607-7DDF-4BE2-BA49-D7BED2E4CC97.jpeg
    3D56D607-7DDF-4BE2-BA49-D7BED2E4CC97.jpeg