Livewell Seat Cushion Velcro Strips

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfbushjr

Reaction score
The 15 year old velcro strips that hold the seat cushions in place atop my livewells are no longer working well. Any ideas on how to remedy? Has anyone tried replacing them with snaps?

Velcro 1.jpgVelcro 2.jpg

Which part is worn out? If it's the plastic-backed velcro strip, I have a couple I can send you (needed to do a similar replacement, could only buy a 10-pack of 3' length strips so there's a bit left over :oops:). Snaps would certainly be a possibility, but if you go that route I'd recommend getting one of the handheld snap fastener tools as opposed to the hammer/anvil type, as they work a lot better in my experience. Also may be worth using a small thru-bolt rather than a screw for the male side of the fastener on the seat to keep it from working its way loose.

Which part is worn out? If it's the plastic-backed velcro strip, I have a couple I can send you (needed to do a similar replacement, could only buy a 10-pack of 3' length strips so there's a bit left over :oops:). Snaps would certainly be a possibility, but if you go that route I'd recommend getting one of the handheld snap fastener tools as opposed to the hammer/anvil type, as they work a lot better in my experience. Also may be worth using a small thru-bolt rather than a screw for the male side of the fastener on the seat to keep it from working its way loose.
The loop half sewn to the seat cushion is okay. It is the hook half with the plastic back that is worn out. I didn't measure them but they must be 3 inchers. I need four pieces total. You want to sell your extras?

Hi Pelagic. It is that time of year to start attacking my off season repairs. Do you still have the extra velcro strips?

@johnfbushjr question for you as i know i need to replace my velcro, but dont have the boat handy to take a look.

How did you remove the old strips (and then reattach the new ones)? Thanks!

@johnfbushjr question for you as i know i need to replace my velcro, but dont have the boat handy to take a look.

How did you remove the old strips (and then reattach the new ones)? Thanks!
They are pop-riveted in place. You need to take a 1/8" drill bit and drill the center of the rivet out and they will come off. Good luck.

They are pop-riveted in place. You need to take a 1/8" drill bit and drill the center of the rivet out and they will come off. Good luck.
Thanks John. I could've sworn there was no rivet on the underside of my console seat. But, just to confirm, you drilled the rivet out, and the rivet went thru your live well in the pic, correct?

Thanks John. I could've sworn there was no rivet on the underside of my console seat. But, just to confirm, you drilled the rivet out, and the rivet went thru your live well in the pic, correct?
Yes I drilled the rivets out with a 1/8" drill in order to remove the old ones. But the rivets don't go all the way through to the live well. The bubble that the helm seat is mounted to is double walled. I don't know of any other way to get the rivets out. And then I reinstalled new Velcro strips and pop riveted them in to the same holes. There are you-tube videos on how to do it. If you don't have a pop-rivet gun I would just attach the Velcro directly to the fiberglass. If you go that route clean the fiberglass with isopropyl alcohol first so you get good adhesion.

Back