Quantcast

Log on

Classic Parker

Help Support Classic Parker:

B-Faithful

Reaction score
does everyone else have to log on every time they visit the site or is it just me. This is the only site that I have to do it with too. It doesnt want to remember me :cry:

goinsfishin

Reaction score
Have the same problem....only on this site....wireless laptop with IE7 on WXPsp2, checked browser settings, have CP as a trusted site and to accept cookies. Same issue with my desktop (XPsp2 w IE6)and my work computer (XPsp2 w IE6). Don't have this problem with THT or any other site I frequent. Can't believe it's a wireless, router, or firewall issue since the behaviour is the same in different enviroments.

Steve Goins
Senior Network Engineer
Points of Light Foundation
Washington, DC

TomS

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you guys are still having problems.

I did a little research and made a change to the phpBB code that might help.

Short version is that for security reasons, the phpBB software requires the first three octets of the users IP address to remain constant. So if the first three octets of the IP address change, which may be what is happening with providers like AOL that have a large number of proxy servers, then the phpBB software thinks that the users has logged off, or that another user is trying to illegally access the forum.

For example, I can see that one of the users posting in this thread has posted from at least 6 different IP addresses. 4 of which would fall into the category I described above. Under most circumstances, there is absolutely nothing wrong with logging in from any number of IPs, but it triggers something in the phpBB software and requires the user to re-login.

-- Tom

goinsfishin

Reaction score
Thanks Tom,
But I have cable and should have a static IP, At least for the last 20 minutes I've been testing.
Tried Firefox, same behaviour, had to log in twice the first time, same as IE.
Both browsers, if I close them I have to log in over again, If I close the tab but leave the browser open and then come back later, it remembers me.
What kind of TTL do you have on cookies?

TomS

Administrator
Reaction score
Session timeout is 3600 seconds, but login timeout is set to infinity.

I made another change to the way the cookies are stored, lets see if that makes a difference.

For everyone else, please make sure that your browser is configured to accept cookies. If you are using IE, go to your internet settings and try manually adding www.classicparker.com to the list of secure sites, so that all cookies will be downloaded.

-- Tom

Porkchunker

Reaction score
TomS":1xqsygf9 said:
For example, I can see that one of the users posting in this thread has posted from at least 6 different IP addresses. 4 of which would fall into the category I described above. Under most circumstances, there is absolutely nothing wrong with logging in from any number of IPs, but it triggers something in the phpBB software and requires the user to re-login.

-- Tom
That would probably be me. I log in from home, from work, and from several places in CA when on business trips.

TomS

Administrator
Reaction score
Actually it wasn't you, but looking at it now, you have posted from over 80 different IP addresses :)

-- Tom

TomS

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, so I changed one of the cookie settings, and it required me to clear my cookies before it would let me log back in. Hopefully the change will fix the problems that some users have been experiencing.

-- Tom

goinsfishin

Reaction score
Just tried to login again using IE7, required me to log in twice.

Closed IE. waited a few went back to site and was recognised, so looks like cookie change has had some effect.
This is an improvement

Could be me with multiple IP's, 2 at work, broadband wireless, home, occasional dial-up (argh!).

I'll update again in a day or two as I experiment and maybe we can get this permanantly resolved.

Tom - No offense intended about site, I love it. It just bugs me when things don't work like they should....nothin like a good mystery.

Latest posts