Long Distance Trailer Tips

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffnick

Reaction score
I've towed my boats over 50,000 miles. I was asked if I have any trailering tips or experiences to share...so here goes.

I don't pretend to be an expert; I just know what works for me. And I'm not trying to convince anyone what is right or wrong, just explaining how my trailering has evolved.

My first major satisfaction was to find trailer tires that hold up to the miles and abuse of my excessive trailering. This includes the entire Alaska Highway (which really isn't saying much as it's in better shape than most of our Interstates). I use car radials on my boat trailers. I've put over 40,000 miles on a set of these tires with no problems whatsoever. Just make sure they'll handle the weight you're towing.

The second satisfaction was getting rid of the clunking from the coupler and also eliminating hydraulics and bleeder screws, not to mention being able to apply my trailer brakes from the drivers seat. I use totally electric brakes on my boat trailer. I flush them after saltwater use either by a dunk in a freshwater lake on the way home, or by putting a sprinkler under the trailer for 1/2 hr or so.

The last tip is speed. I seldom if ever pull my trailer faster than 55 mph. This not only saves wear and tear on the rig, but also gets me 12mpg with my V10.

I installed my first set of electric trailer brakes about 4 years ago. I have eyeballed them while doing annual bearing exams, but have never serviced them. On my last 2 trips out, I had one of those brakes drag, as witnessed by excessive temps taken using an IR non-contact thermometer. I always check the hub temps at the first rest area, about 35 miles from home.

Nick’s rules for hub temp.
*If the IR temp is consistently less than 100°, then I loose interest in checking
*If the IR temp is between 100 and 200° I continue to check regularly (+/- 50 miles)
*If the IR temp is between 200 and 300° I let them cool and check them more often
*Over 300° and I find out what's causing it.

The last time out the temp was 330° at 35 miles so I backed off the star wheel to ‘unadjust’ the brakes on that wheel. We made the remainder of the 450 mile round trip with no subsequent problems. . I couldn’t get the pic at max temp cause I was busy working on the problem.
IMAGE_311.jpg

Back home, I pulled the drum to see what was causing the shoe to drag. There was rust in/on pivot points, which kept the shoes from fully retracting.
DSCI0903.jpg

I wanted to see what it would take to make that brake serviceable so I had at it. ‘Rebuilding’ brakes is not on my acceptable list of maintenance items, for about $35 I could have replaced the entire backing plate -- shoes, mechanics, springs, magnet and adjuster, but I was curious. A well-placed shot of Corrosion Block at each pivot point and a dab of grease on the backing plate to shoe contact surfaces and we were back in business. But then I decided to pull it all the way off and take it apart to give it a real going over. Nothing else really needed attention so I put her back together using the obligatory new seal. I have seals with double lips and seals with rubber coated metal bodies (to prevent rust?). If you change them every year, I don’t think it much matters what kind you use.

One can find regular maintenance a hundred places on the web, so I won’t go into that, but I will note some time saving tools I use.

First, you’re going to need a helper for most trailer work. Here’s mine.
DSCI0936.jpg

Next, a front mounted trailer hitch for exact placement of the trailer anywhere the first time.
DSCI0882.jpg

Don’t be lulled into using a pussy jack for getting your trailer off the ground. A pussy jack has a narrow body and short handle that has 3 positions:
1) the pumping position
2) the valve adjusting position
3) the moving the jack around position.
Pussy jack:
DSCI0931.jpg

I use a big yellow jack that has a single position handle that’s long enough to get leverage for pumping and the body is wide enough that it doesn’t bury itself when used on turf.
Real jack
DSCI0928.jpg

Dust cap remover tool, instead of banging on them with a hammer and screwdriver.
DSCI0891.jpg

Keeper spring pliers.
DSCI0911.jpg

Brake spring pliers. These are indispensable for getting drum brake springs on and off.
BSP.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of putting the spring back on, but it's a snap with the tool -- you're able to easily slide it over the post.

Anyway, these are my trailer secrets. Do you have any to share?

Great post. I was thinking about putting electric brakes on my trailer and was told that you should never do that. I use exclusively in salt water but would have no problem with rinsing like you service yours. I'm not happy with the performance of the surge breaks (4000 lb boat) compared with the electric brakes on my RV (8000 pounds).

I might add that I always put fresh lube on the hubs prior to any trip. I almost always get some water that comes out of the hubs and this would add to breaking down the grease as you are driving down the road.

Good tips.

However, I'd convert to disk and dump the rust-prone drums.

I carry a spare hub already assembled with good already greased bearings and all the tools to change a hub on the road. Also carry spare bearings, races, seals, and the tools to pull the races and install new ones if necessary.

Dave

aka

Porkchunker":1eyqyxkf said:
I carry a spare hub already assembled with good already greased bearings and all the tools to change a hub on the road. Also carry spare bearings, races, seals, and the tools to pull the races and install new ones if necessary.

Yea, with my other brakes I used to carry all that stuff too.

I am a traveling hub, bearing, race, brake, etc. ad nauseum replacement warehouse. It all lives in a big box in the back of the truck. If I ever see anyone broken down with a trailer on the side of the interstate I will stop and get 'em going... if they have the same hub guts as I do anyway. Been there, done that, got the engraved pen and pencil set. :lol:

I'll need tires soon and am curious about the car radials. What's the big difference in performance (if any), what's the cost difference, and what kind do you use.

MacFern":1f9x7nuz said:
I'll need tires soon and am curious about the car radials. What's the big difference in performance (if any), what's the cost difference, and what kind do you use.

I'd wager you'll get better reliability and longevity from car radials or light truck tires than you would with ST (trailer) tires, and they'll be cheaper. The caveat is to find passenger or LT tires in your rim size that satisfy your load rating needs.

It's not my intent to convince anyone to use car tires on their trailer. I'm just sharing my experience. It took me a long time to get past the recommendations of experts (and perhaps even ignoring legal requirements) but I was having such miserable (dangerous) encounters with ST tires that I had to try something else. For my 3,400 pound rig with tandem axles, (4) 205/75/R14 car tires each with a load rating of 1521# at less than 1/2 the cost of ST tires with well over 5 times the tread life is a good fit for me.

For those of you considering other than ST tires, I have clipped a few paragraphs from the above links and you might also keep in mind that I never drive over 55mph. So of course YMMV.

Trailer tire construction varies substantially from automotive tires, therefore it is essential to choose the correct tire for your towing application. In general, trailer tires have the same load range (or ply) from bead to bead and are bias ply construction. This allows for a stiffer side wall which provides safer towing by helping to reduce trailer sway problems. The use of 'Passenger Car' (P) or 'Light Truck (LT) tires a on a trailer is not recommended because their construction, usually radial or bias belted, allows for more flexible side walls. This could lead to increased trailer sway and loss of control.

Automotive bias or radial tires with their more flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems, whereas the stiffer sidewalls of the ST (special trailer) bias ply tires help to control and reduce sway problems. For this reason it is not recommended that (P) Passenger or (LT) Light Truck tires be used on trailers. Best trailer control will be achieved with (ST) Special Trailer tires.

Question
I have a travel trailer that has a gross wt. of 8500 lbs. The trailer has a tandem axle with tension suspension. I have heard that passenger car tires are more durable than "trailer service only" tires. If I replace the "trailer service only tires" with passenger tires that have a weight rating of 2225 lbs. would that be safe? Thank you.

Answer
Eric,

No. In fact passenger car tires are less durable.

Jeffnick said,
The caveat is to find passenger or LT tires in your rim size that satisfy your load rating needs.

I think many salesmen look at the dry weight of a boat and don't take into account trailer weight when sizing the trailer for a boat. Consequently, we wind up with undersized trailers with abnormal tire wear and early tire failure.

Jeffnick tows a dual axle trailer with 15" tires. He's easy on equipment, hardly ever going over 55 mph on the highway. I never saw him in a panic stop. With his boat he could get by with a single axle trailer and 14" tires. He and I have trailered our boats together on average 3 trips of 1000 miles or more during the last six years (including trips of 8000+ and 13000+ miles) over the same roads at the same speeds. I had 14" ST tires on the 2 boat trailers I used on the trips. I spent a small fortune replacing trailer tires on the road and had a lot of aggravation trying to find ST tires in my size (and yes I had axles aligned and/or straightened). The only time I know jeffnick changed a tire was with a flat on his tow vehicle.

Early this year, I traded in my trailer on a new one do to having to replace torsion axles. Because of my experience, I ordered the new trailer from the factory one step up in capacity, and paid extra to get 15" tires. Currently with 3000+ miles on the new trailer, I've experienced no problems with tires or signs of abnormal wear (knock on wood).

After reading Jeffnick's list on hub temps. I have a question. I understand that disc brakes run hotter than drum. What would be a good temp scale for towing with disc brakes. I have Kodiaks on my trailer and sometimes they feel too warm.

oldnavyjim":3atp28v4 said:
After reading Jeffnick's list on hub temps. I have a question. I understand that disc brakes run hotter than drum. What would be a good temp scale for towing with disc brakes. I have Kodiaks on my trailer and sometimes they feel too warm.

My experience/chart is for both drum and disc but most folks feel that their brakes should run much cooler than my chart. My experience also suggests that a true bearing failure is catastrophic and if bearing failure is the sole contributor (vs heat generated by dragging brakes) it is a long shot that keeping an eye on the temps will prevent a failure. When a bearing begins to let loose, it isn't long before total hub failure.

On the other hand, if a dragging brake (either disc or drum) is causing excessive heat, heat which will eventually build to cause the lubricant to be ineffective, there is a substantial opportunity for prevention/correction. With the grease I use, 300° does not appear to contribute to bearing failure.

Another cause of failure, which I feel is preventable by keeping an eye on the hub temp, is over torquing the spindle nut. I'm not an engineer, but I believe that the higher heat generated by disc brakes can cause a typically adjusted spindle nut to result in bearing stress and eventual failure because the clearances aren't adequate under the heat. I learned to run the disc spindle nut one flat less than the traditional setting - a 'click' instead of a 'tick' of clearance when rocking the wheel.

These are just my opinions and YMMV.

Thanks for the advice. I will try running the bearings one notch looser than I usually do. I am also getting a IR thermometer.

Back