Long Term Storage

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrellA123

Reaction score
Due to family medical issues I'm not likely to be able to use my Parker 2120 SC this year (only the 2nd year of ownership!). I had put her up for the winter, doing the Yamaha recommended maintenance; oils, plugs, filters, fuel stabilizer, etc. But now I need to let her sit until next Spring.

Looking for recommendations on what I need to do to the motor to let it sit for another year. It's a 2004 or 2005 (not entirely sure which, or if it matters) Yamaha F150.

Thanks,
Darrell

Do you have ethanol or non ethanol fuel in the tank and what type of additives were put in the fuel tank and run through the engine prior to storage??

If you’ve got treated, non ethanol fuel in the tank and run through the engine, you’re probably OK fuel wise. I run exclusively ethanol which is all that is available up here in Connecticut. The Winter sit for 5-6 months with treated ethanol isn’t typically an issue up here but a year and half with ethanol sitting in South Carolina would cause me concern.

Aside from fuel, my second biggest concern would be rodent infestation. Those little buggers can get in anywhere and build a home using materials on hand. In the case of an engine that’s typically wire insulation. Moth Balls are usually effective in keeping the rodents up here away. I load my boat up with moth balls and those little plastic boxes of Decon. That way even if the mice show up, they die quickly.

Thanks, Mpellet. I do have ethanol in the fuel. I treated it with one of the fuel stabilizers I picked up at an auto store, I can't remember the brand. May even have thrown some RingFree in the gas can. I may still have the bottle on the boat, I'll check it next time I can get away. But I did the routine of disconnecting the fuel line and running fuel and additives from a gas can through the engine. Everything else was a Yamaha product from PartsVu. Also fogged the engine and hosed her down with the silicon spray.

I have a nice cover on the boat, so , yeah, I bet it will be a great nesting place for critters, I'll get on that.

I'm in MD, not SC, but it does still get pretty stinkin' hot in the summer!

Thanks again,
Darrell

Thanks, Mpellet. I do have ethanol in the fuel. I treated it with one of the fuel stabilizers I picked up at an auto store, I can't remember the brand. May even have thrown some RingFree in the gas can. I may still have the bottle on the boat, I'll check it next time I can get away. But I did the routine of disconnecting the fuel line and running fuel and additives from a gas can through the engine. Everything else was a Yamaha product from PartsVu. Also fogged the engine and hosed her down with the silicon spray.

I have a nice cover on the boat, so , yeah, I bet it will be a great nesting place for critters, I'll get on that.

I'm in MD, not SC, but it does still get pretty stinkin' hot in the summer!

Thanks again,
Darrell

Darrell,

Good luck and I hope whatever the health situation is gets resolved with positive results and your back on the water soon.....(y)

Back