looking for ideas.... Pics would help

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Realtor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2nd gps to be mounted on the second help area outside. I am looking for an idea that I can remove the Unit and I want the cables (power and network) to retract and be sealed from the environment. Something with a cap on it, where I can pull the cable to attach it to the unit and when the unit is not in use, I can push the cables back into the steering box, and seal from the weather... The GPS will be mounted with the removable bracket that comes with the unit attached to the top (or near the top) of the external helm station? Not through he bulk head, but the gps will be in that green box....

Inked20210927_161307 - Copy_LI.jpg

I am in the same situation. I am leaning toward running the cables through the bulkhead with the steering hoses and leaving them in the steering box when not in use. I have not decided if I will buy an extra hatch (and cut a hole in one) or not. I am speaking of the hatch on the bottom of the steering box. I am ok with not attaching the cables to the outside of the steering box, as I will probably be removing the unit often, leaving the bracket as the only thing exposed to the elements.

Last edited:
I am in the same situation. I am leaning toward running the cables through the bulkhead with the steering hoses and leaving them in the steering box when not in use. I have not decided if I will buy an extra hatch (and cut a hole in one) or not. I am speaking of the hatch on the bottom of the steering box. I am ok with not attaching the cables to the outside of the steering box, as I will probably be removing the unit often, leaving the bracket as the only thing exposed to the elements.

I'm leaning towards a 4 inch deck plate on the side of the steering box. then simply put the cables inside the steering box when not in use...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJWFC4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another option is to mount it as I did in these pictures. You can lean over and look at it through the entrance door and you would have three benefits. a second MFD to at the main helm, its permanently mounted out of the weather and it's locked in the cabin.
IMG_3298.JPGIMG_3292.JPG

Another option is to mount it as I did in these pictures. You can lean over and look at it through the entrance door and you would have three benefits. a second MFD to at the main helm, its permanently mounted out of the weather and it's locked in the cabin.
View attachment 32047View attachment 32048

That looks great, but I have older eyes, and I get tired of straining to look inside. I ordered a 4 inch access plate and I'll see if that does what I like. Thanks, That's a great place for it. I'll see how this looks on the side of the steering box, and it should look like just another access plate... (4 inch)
51KukEopdRL._AC_SX425_.jpg

That looks great, but I have older eyes, and I get tired of straining to look inside. I ordered a 4 inch access plate and I'll see if that does what I like. Thanks, That's a great place for it. I'll see how this looks on the side of the steering box, and it should look like just another access plate... (4 inch)
View attachment 32049
I have an nss9 mounted there. Agree that it is tough to see from the cockpit. A 12' screen, maybe, but then the screen intrudes on windshield view and lighting. I tried with an Evo2 in 2120/2320 sized cabins.

I'd mount the pie plate on the underside of the box for a cleaner look and to minimize water intrusion.

Goin a step farther, buy a second insert and cut a notch in the edge so you can pass the cables through, tighten down a half turn and the whole thing isn't open to the elements.

I'd look at going bigger than 4" in the even you need access inside the compartment.

Maybe use suction cups to control the wires when they're out.

I'd mount the pie plate on the underside of the box for a cleaner look and to minimize water intrusion.

Goin a step farther, buy a second insert and cut a notch in the edge so you can pass the cables through, tighten down a half turn and the whole thing isn't open to the elements.

I'd look at going bigger than 4" in the even you need access inside the compartment.

Maybe use suction cups to control the wires when they're out.

Good idea of getting a second insert, I'll do that. The steering box has its own access plate on the bottom, but I like your thinking about not having it open to the elements... I'll order a second insert and cut the notch as you suggest. Thanks, Jim

You may want to send the cables through the bottom of the pie plate and put a drip loop in them.
I used a bracket (the bass guys use) to get the electronics above the throttle.

Attachments

• IMG_20220404_175136434.jpg
    IMG_20220404_175136434.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
Back