Looking

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyrod04

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the market for a pilot house for the Charleston SC area. I was a very successful charter captain in the Northeast, and I moved south to fish more for myself and start doing trips down here.

My question is finding what I want is not fairing well…. A 2520 XLD with twin 150s……

Do I need to worry about the older hulls having transom rot with the wood core? My reason for asking is I can find older 28 foot boats for better prices then then 25’s

Thanks!

Hi all,

I am in the market for a pilot house for the Charleston SC area. I was a very successful charter captain in the Northeast, and I moved south to fish more for myself and start doing trips down here.

My question is finding what I want is not fairing well…. A 2520 XLD with twin 150s……

Do I need to worry about the older hulls having transom rot with the wood core? My reason for asking is I can find older 28 foot boats for better prices then then 25’s

Thanks!
The 25 can still be trailered with an F150, a 28 not so much.

Take a good look at the 2820 especially if you take more than a few people on the boat. The upgraded deck space is night and day. Think about a bait tank on the deck along with a decent size ice chest and 4 people trying to get around all that stuff and each other. I have no trouble trailering mine and with your experience it would be a breeze.

Let’s see em. What year?
It is a 2016, I have to run it up from Jacksonville to Charleston harbor on 12-17. I will be getting alot of photos soon as the boat is basic right now and I plan on rigging it for fishing.

Here is the first photo i took of it sitting at the dock!Parker (2).jpg

It is a 2016, I have to run it up from Jacksonville to Charleston harbor on 12-17. I will be getting alot of photos soon as the boat is basic right now and I plan on rigging it for fishing.

Here is the first photo i took of it sitting at the dock!View attachment 35134
Beautiful Parker you have there! Our 2520 has the same 300 Yamaha engine and does great; it will make your 2320 a rocket!

Beautiful Parker you have there! Our 2520 has the same 300 Yamaha engine and does great; it will make your 2320 a rocket!
Thank you!

I have had one other boat with a bracket and a single engine, I know backing into the slip with going to be a bit of a struggle, but I am hopeful that this one with do alright!

Thank you!

I have had one other boat with a bracket and a single engine, I know backing into the slip with going to be a bit of a struggle, but I am hopeful that this one with do alright!

Doesn’t work all the time, but it can help in some cases to trim the engine up a little bit. That way, when the engine is in reverse, the prop wash flows under the hull, rather than hitting the flat surface of the transom and counteracting the astern thrust. Worth playing with it a little, at least.

Find an empty dock away from audiences and do a whole bunch of approaches, upwind, downwind, all the different ways you can. Easier to practice when you’re not worried about looking like an a$$ in front of the crowd at your favorite restaurant 😁 I’ve been driving boats since I was 12, and do so professionally to this day. I still practice on an empty pier every chance I can, from my 17’ up to a 255’ salvage tug. Boats have rubrails for a reason!

Hi all,

Thanks!
Hi Flyrod: I have an '03 2801 and recently had the fuel tanks replaced. Overall, when the deck was removed, the stringers and deck were in great shape. I would be more concerned about the fuel tanks. With the Parker boats, it's not a matter of if, but when regarding the fuel tanks.

Hi Flyrod: I have an '03 2801 and recently had the fuel tanks replaced. Overall, when the deck was removed, the stringers and deck were in great shape. I would be more concerned about the fuel tanks. With the Parker boats, it's not a matter of if, but when regarding the fuel tanks.
I'd like to add that fuel tank issues are not a Parker-Only issue. Many boats of the same era, from Grady-White's to Renken's, (Listed; good-to-worst!) have the same issues. Many of them have even worse issues than just fuel-tank-rot. On top of their fuel tank issues, the 25' Grady's from the 1970's and1980's have 'sinking' issues, as the scuppers are below the water line. Even when sitting at the dock, with no one on the boat adding weight aft, water constantly enters the scuppers, then into the bilges. The boats depend on constant-cycling bilge pumps to keep them afloat.

Thank you!

Hi Flyrod, There's a procedure/method called 'Back-and-Fill' that we use on single-screw inboards. It works best with direct-drive/shaft boats, but it's also helpful with some outboards. In short; when backing, the prop-wash will move the boat back, but will also favor/move the stern either to port or starboard (depending on if the prop is RH or LH). With back-and-fill, you gain as much aft headway in reverse, shift to neutral and quickly spin the wheel in the opposite direction, shift to 'forward' and apply a QUICK, strong burst of power, (This will straighten the stern), then immediately shift back to neutral then to reverse and start over. Repeat this as often as needed... (Having an Edson-style knob on the wheel makes it easier to spin the wheel quickly, when doing Back-and-Fill).

I can also speak for the effectiveness of the "back and fill" method.

On another note, I remember the first time I was attempting to back my old single inboard into my slip. During the process, I got hung up on my neighbors bow pulpit. He just happened to be there (along with half of the marina it seemed) and quoted from the movie Caddyshack....."you scratched my anchor!". His sense of humor was appreciated.

I'd like to add that fuel tank issues are not a Parker-Only issue. Many boats of the same era, from Grady-White's to Renken's, (Listed; good-to-worst!) have the same issues. Many of them have even worse issues than just fuel-tank-rot. On top of their fuel tank issues, the 25' Grady's from the 1970's and1980's have 'sinking' issues, as the scuppers are below the water line. Even when sitting at the dock, with no one on the boat adding weight aft, water constantly enters the scuppers, then into the bilges. The boats depend on constant-cycling bilge pumps to keep them afloat.
Agree with you Andy. My Brother had to replace a Fuel tank on a Grady. The difference is, Grady has a removable deck access (no cutting). My original tank thickness was 1/8" and my new tanks are 3/16". I guess with any aluminum tank, if you get 20 years, you're doing well.

I can also speak for the effectiveness of the "back and fill" method.

On another note, I remember the first time I was attempting to back my old single inboard into my slip. During the process, I got hung up on my neighbors bow pulpit. He just happened to be there (along with half of the marina it seemed) and quoted from the movie Caddyshack....."you scratched my anchor!". His sense of humor was appreciated.
That is my favorite move of all time! It is quoted at least once a day.... HAHA

When I bring my boat home I am going to carissin it.... " It's easy to grin when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is a man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat."

Back