Maine

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllenM

Reaction score
I will be traveling extensively though Maine in August. Any suggestions on must-see's and/or must-do's?

Maine is a big state with lots of shoreline and lots to see. All the sandy beaches are in the southern part of the state, alot of rugged rocky coastline as you head further north. Plenty of islands and lighthouses if that interests you too. Maine caters to tourists during the summer months, so much of the state has local must see's/must do's depending on your interests. I would say there is generally more to see than do here.

I am from Maine, and August is a GREAT month to visit the coast. You need to spend a day walking around my old home town of Camden, Maine. You will NOT be disappointed. Walk the harbor, see the Schooners. Drive Route 1 from Portland / Freeport all the way north to Lincolnville Beach: every town along that path is just lovely. It's a 3 hour drive, and your eyes and mind will be stimulated by coastal town and village beauty.
Maybe you will be there for the lobster festival in Rockland Maine or the Blueberry festival in Union, Maine.
Acadia National Park is awesome: Thunder Hole is a must see.
Freeport, Maine is lovely to walk the down town: LL Bean factory store is amazing and worth checking out.
You can take the Islesboro ferry out of Rockland and drive around that island for the day in your car. Stop at a roadside deli for a sandwich.
SO much to do. Enjoy!

The Maine coast is indeed a wonderful place to visit. I know the coastal areas as Southern coast, Mid coast, and Downeast. We've been vacationing in the mid-coast area for a quite few years now and it is always amazing. If your boating, Casco Bay and Penobscot Bay should not be missed. There is a ferry service out of Portland that goes to the islands in Casco Bay, don't know if it is open to the public this year or not. I would recommend at least visiting each of the areas as they are all different an all have something special to offer. You can then decide which you prefer more then come back for an extended stay :).

I'm not sure what Maine is doing these days as far as Covid travel is concerned but I would check that out as they were very strict last year(very understandable).

Enjoy!

I'm not sure what Maine is doing these days as far as Covid travel is concerned but I would check that out as they were very strict last year(very understandable).

Enjoy!

Should not effect your travel really. But, yes, Maine is the land of the liberal. Our Senator Susan Collins is a wishy washy curmudgeon.

Sydngoose,
I'm seeing Jacksonville, FL. and Camden ME.. Your livin the High Life..!

I live in Cumberland Maine. The boat is nearby in Yarmouth and I work in Rockport, next town over from Camden. I grew up on Monhegan Island. If you have the time, Monhegan is great day trip or for a night or two. I’m usually striper, tuna or ground fishing on the weekends —send me a message if you want to go fishing. No Covid restrictions for the most part. Mask mandate was lifted 2-3 weeks ago.

Back