Maintenance

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dabbie7

Reaction score
So I was talking to an outboard dealer today who said it's fine to run your 225 four stroke at idle for limited amounts of time just hooking up a hose to the flush hose hook-up on the side of the motor. Thoughts?

Can't imagine that a dealer would say such a thing. :shock:

Running the motor without a proper supply of water is running the pump and impeller dry, which can lead to a failure of the impeller.

I certainly would not recommend it, not even for a moment.

Never run them on the hose flush. If you are going to run them out of the water, get a set of muffs that feed water from both sides. I have a set and use them on my F-115s. Last Saturday, I ran both motors to warm up the oil, then drew a pint out of each motor to collect oil samples (which I send off to Herguth Labs for chemical and metal analysis).

Agreed, thanks for the responses guys! Actually bought a set of the muffs that feed from both sides just today so I can warm the motor up just prior to doing an oil change. Another question for you. When you trailer your 25 do you tilt the motor up and then rest it on the tilt support lever and ride that way or do you have a seperate support from motor to trailer frame?

Dabbie7":z5gxme4o said:
When you trailer your 25 do you tilt the motor up and then rest it on the tilt support lever and ride that way or do you have a seperate support from motor to trailer frame?
As far as I know, the Yamaha motors only have a small single-bladed 'tilt lock' which takes the load off the tilt cylinder when raised all the way up. This is NOT akin to a true trailering lock like the OMC/Bomb design which is a heavy twin-arm forging that holds the motor about 1/2-way up/down and was expressly designed for trailering. The OMC design also uses a separate tilt lock too.

Check these out, as all my friends that trailer (with Yam motors anyways ;) ) use these:
mainpg02.jpg

http://www.m-ywedge.com/

Dale, thanks and you are correct, it's just a small single lever. I've trailered countless miles on it, but have already ordered a m-ywedge. great product, and thanks for the tip. The forum is a tremendous help to all of us rookies. Appreciate your help.

I also use a My-Wedge. Great device! Be careful not to install it on a tilt ram that results in contact with a grease nipple; This will result in a broken or dislocated nipple, which is always a painful proposition! :shock:

When trailering with this device there is virtually no bounce to the motor.

Thanks guys. I have been also looking for just such a device. I take it it goes on one of the two trim rams and not the larger tilt ram. Do you need two or is one adequate?

Ray

Back