Marking docklines

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
I spent two years in another slip where I became very comfortable, and had the ritual of my docklines down to a science.
Once I knew where each line needed to be, I put black heat-shrink tubing on my lines to mark them. That way, no matter who was with me on any particular day, they could get the lines right by simply lining up the marks.

Image-51655EA4AEE311D9.jpg

Well, this year I moved to a different slip (out from under the trees! :D ), and took my docklines with me.
The lines were still in great shape but marked for the old slip, and the new slip did not match the marks on the old lines. :(
Bummer...

Well, I've spent a couple of months now in the new slip, and I've found that folks want to tie up my boat using the old marks.
Not a good thing...

So... I had an idea.
Mark the lines with something new and different... flourescent orange zip ties!

Image-1B49295C025011DB.jpg

Image-1B4967FC025011DB.jpg

Image-1B4996C5025011DB.jpg

Image-1B49C543025011DB.jpg

The two stern lines are clip-ons, so those are stupid-simple...

Image-BA350F70FD8911DA.jpg

I have guests coming aboard this weekend, so I'll report back on whether my idea worked or not. :D

Megabyte,

In the 2nd picture down you have a anchor pelican hook setup. Approximately what was the price, and the place where you bought it? Thanks.

Are you asking about the anchor chain safety seen here?

Image-2DB7098339BB11DA.jpg

It is a Windline AT-3 Heavy Duty Anchor Tensioner that I bought locally at West Marine.

I make dock line length very easy for myself and my crew. All 5 lines to the boat are attached via stainless steel clips. I use the type mountain climbers use, I think called Caribeeners.

This take all the guess work out of docking. I don't understand why more people don't do this.

John

Back