Mildew on throw life preserver

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hook Shot

Reaction score
Anyone have this issue? The guy I bought my boat from says he’s cleaned this life preserver but the staining returns. Any way to prevent this?53BC9A49-C527-4A8E-BEC2-CC9AB0BEFD8F.jpeg

that looks like water dripping down from above.
i think best solution is move it.

I’m not sure. Just going by what the previous owner has said. Boat is in storage, so I don’t have access right now.

Anyone have this issue? The guy I bought my boat from says he’s cleaned this life preserver but the staining returns. Any way to prevent this?View attachment 30676
This style/material of these are especially prone for mold/mildew growth. Cleaning it, then soaking it with the proper mixture of Mold-STAT will delay further growth, but not prevent it.
For mold/mildew to grow (on anything, and anywhere). Five 'ingredients' must be present. Remove any ONE of the ingredients, and mold/mildew cannot/will not grow.
The 'ingredients';
1) Oxygen (but, you can't remove that ingredient).
2) Mold Spores (they are tiny, exist nearly everywhere and are microscopic; (can't remove that ingredient either).
3) Mold Food. (mold-food is anything organic; dirt, dust, wood, food, beer, etc. Mold cannot grow in a truly sterile environment. (hard to accomplish).
4) Proper Temperature. (most of the 30,000 + molds cannot grow when the temperature is below 40 degree F. or above 105 degree F.... hard to accomplish this on a boat, or anywhere else humans like to hang out).
5) Moisture. (mold cannot grow anywhere when the 'relative humidity' is below 70%. So it certainly WILL grow on anything that is damp or wet. It has to. It has no choice as all five ingredients will be present at that time)....
So keeping the Round Toss-Ring as dry and clean as possible will help to retard mold/mildew growth. It's about all you can do.... And clean all mold mildew quickly, as soon as you see it. They are call mold 'colonies' because they reproduce and spread quickly...

Back