mold on carpet

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jusjonny

Reaction score
the black mold dots on carpet in the pilothouse, anyone know the best way to get rid of them?

Carpet cleaner. I used pet defense and the spots haven't come back. I also leave the side windows cracked about an inch.

Mix up oxy clean, bleach and water in a garden pump sprayer. Soak entire carpet down with hose. Spray on solution, have a beer/wait 30 minutes, wash rinse repeat if needed. No scrubbing needed and it will clean all of it up.

the black mold dots on carpet in the pilothouse, anyone know the best way to get rid of them?
I too have gotten some of the black spots on the 'carpet' in the cabin and pilothouse. I've used a number of different cleaners, and all worked fairly well. Most recently I've used Woolite Carpet Foam, because, well because my wife told me to; and she is always right ☺. Just spray a little on the spots; brush it; wipe it off. It works fine.
It also helps to try to reduce the mold/mildew growth in the first place. Learning why it is there, goes a long way to helping prevent it in the first place.

What I'll explain about mold and mildew applies to all boats, and most-all other places on earth (houses, crawlspaces, cars, shops, building, forests, caves... ). Mold doesn't happen in deep outer space and or the arctic-poles, because most of the ingredients aren't present there.
We live in different climate-zones, so although what's below applies to all of us, some climates have more, or less, of the ingredients, and/or 'time/durations'. Therefore, different severities of mold/mildew growth.

Here goes! Those who get bored easily, 'turn the channel' (if you're even still here!☺). (I wrote about this once before).
We were taught, that there are 30,000-35,000 forms of mold/mildew; although I asked, I was never shown the entire list! (One 'source' even stated 40,000. I still haven't seen the list). I think 'their' point is, is that there are a lot of molds and mildews.
For Mold/Mildew to exist anywhere, there HAS to be five ingredients present. Remove just ONE of the FIVE, and m/m cannot exist.
The 'Five Ingredients';
1) Mold spores. (they exist in most every breath of air you breathe). So, they're hard to filter/control. It's not practical to try to super-filter all the air.
2) Oxygen. (m/m cannot grow without oxygen). But if we remove the oxygen, we can't live there either.
3) Mold Food. (m/m 'food' is everything organic). M/m cannot live in a non-organic and/or sterile environment; the m/m would starve. It's hard to have a sterile boat (or house/car/truck/yard!); that means no 'dirt' of any kind. But the cleaner the surface/area, the less chance of m/m growth. Clean, clean, clean, clean!
4) Correct Temperature; M/m colonies cannot grow/thrive/live where the temperature is below 40 degrees F or above 115 degrees F. (This is not exact-science; some say 35 F and 110F, or 120 F. and ALL are correct; some of the 30,000+ M/m have slight difference tolerances. But, the point is, humans don't like those temperatures either, so it's not a great way to try and control m/m somewhere that we too want to be. (Then, I've been asked, how does mold/mildew grow on boats? in the winter?, in some northern climates? (easy answer; because all 5 ingredients ARE present for some period of time; usually starting after around 15-30 hours when all the ingredients come together).
5) Moisture; (This is the 'Biggy'!)... If there is water present, it is not that you 'might' have, or 'might' get mold/mildew. You will. If there is 'dampness' present, it is not that you 'might' have/'might' get m/m. You will. If the air in your boat maintains 70% or higher relative humidity (for 15-30 hours) it is not that you 'might' get mold/mildew. You will.....
Conclusion; There are two ingredients we have the most control over. Moisture/water, and Mold-Food. Keep the boat as clean as possible, and keep the boat as dry as possible.

Last edited:
I too have gotten some of the black spots on the 'carpet' in the cabin and pilothouse. I've used a number of different cleaners, and all worked fairly well. Most recently I've used Woolite Carpet Foam, because, well because my wife told me to; and she is always right ☺. Just spray a little on the spots; brush it; wipe it off. It works fine.
It also helps to try to reduce the mold/mildew growth in the first place. Learning why it is there, goes a long way to helping prevent it in the first place.

What I'll explain about mold and mildew applies to all boats, and most-all other places on earth (houses, crawlspaces, cars, shops, building, forests, caves... ). Mold doesn't happen in deep outer space and or the arctic-poles, because most of the ingredients aren't present there.
We live in different climate-zones, so although what's below applies to all of us, some climates have more, or less, of the ingredients, and/or 'time/durations'. Therefore, different severities of mold/mildew growth.

Here goes! Those who get bored easily, 'turn the channel' (if you're even still here!☺). (I wrote about this once before).
We were taught, that there are 30,000-35,000 forms of mold/mildew; although I asked, I was never shown the entire list! (One 'source' even stated 40,000. I still haven't seen the list). I think 'their' point is, is that there are a lot of molds and mildews.
For Mold/Mildew to exist anywhere, there HAS to be five ingredients present. Remove just ONE of the FIVE, and m/m cannot exist.
The 'Five Ingredients';
1) Mold spores. (they exist in most every breath of air you breathe). So, they're hard to filter/control. It's not practical to try to super-filter all the air.
2) Oxygen. (m/m cannot grow without oxygen). But if we remove the oxygen, we can't live there either.
3) Mold Food. (m/m 'food' is everything organic). M/m cannot live in a non-organic and/or sterile environment; the m/m would starve. It's hard to have a sterile boat (or house/car/truck/yard!); that means no 'dirt' of any kind. But the cleaner the surface/area, the less chance of m/m growth. Clean, clean, clean, clean!
4) Correct Temperature; M/m colonies cannot grow/thrive/live where the temperature is below 40 degrees F or above 115 degrees F. (This is not exact-science; some say 35 F and 110F, or 120 F. and ALL are correct; some of the 30,000+ M/m have slight difference tolerances. But, the point is, humans don't like those temperatures either, so it's not a great way to try and control m/m somewhere that we too want to be. (Then, I've been asked, how does mold/mildew grow on boats? in the winter?, in some northern climates? (easy answer; because all 5 ingredients ARE present for some period of time; usually starting after around 15-30 hours when all the ingredients come together).
5) Moisture; (This is the 'Biggy'!)... If there is water present, it is not that you 'might' have, or 'might' get mold/mildew. You will. If there is 'dampness' present, it is not that you 'might' have/'might' get m/m. You will. If the air in your boat maintains 70% or higher relative humidity (for 15-30 hours) it is not that you 'might' get mold/mildew. You will.....
Conclusion; There are two ingredients we have the most control over. Moisture/water, and Mold-Food. Keep the boat as clean as possible, and keep the boat as dry as possible.
Great explanation, Andy! Just purchased some Woolite. We'll see how well it works.

Back