Moving boat this Friday on water central NJ to MA

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcunniff

Reaction score
Did it again, and didn't post anything sooner. Heading down by car with couple guys to Lavallette NJ Thursday to move a 40' SeaRay to Pocasset MA.

Target is to get it to MA going Friday and Saturday. Any comments from guys in North or Central NJ.

I helped move it a couple months ago from NC to NJ.

Can do 22-25 mph in light waves and in larger waves we slowed to 15 mph. Twin diesel inboards burns 25 gph total. We were able to go over 200 miles with a cushion on a tank.

Dana

Dana... I'm going the other way 08-09 Sept.
Moving a 54 Eastbay south from NY to Annapolis.
Should be fun. 8)

Take your camera and make a report.
I'll do the same. :wink:

I will Megabyte.

I did when we took the trip in June but two of the three days were too rough to do much. We had layover points then figured out and tried to stay on plan.

This time will try to get to RI or close if we can Friday.

Dana

You will run on plane north out of Ocean Beach Marina until the Mantaloking Bridge. After the bridge it is very important to stick to the channels until you reach the Point Pleasant Canal. Passing through the canal, you will bear right upon exiting the Canal, and follow the channel under the Brielle Bridge, past the infamous railroad bridge, and then out the Manasquan Inlet into the deep blue yonder. Watch out for all the fat guys in 13 foot whalers and 12 foot Jons who are fishing the channel. Beep as you pass em. This is Jersey; big boats have right of way...you got a problem with that?

Go North! Take pictures by Sandy Hook and the Twin Lights.

I am down tomorrow. If you are here call me 973 615 8880 and i'll bring you a beer or two. That is my brother in law's marina.

ParkerSal, thanks, good to hear from you.

We are driving down Thursday morning and should be there maybe around 2 PM. Hope is to check it out, get suplies and fuel, shove off end of day and get to Manasquan and ride out the night so we go early on Friday in open water.

There were some characters there when we got there in June. I mentioned then that it was the night for the last Sopranos episode and it was hard to get a late dinner as people wanted to go home!

Dana

New restaurant for you too.... (bring own corona) Pop's Garage. Mexican. Owned by the same people as Labador Lounge. Get the skirt steak special!

Guys,

Those of us who grew up in East Boston (Eastie) and the North End of Boston (Nuthend) would say:

Haaaaay....youse gotta prublem wid tat ???????? 8)

Dana....have a safe trip and God Speed.

Mac

Did the trip in two days. With the good waves there Friday might have been able to do it in a day but we had an engine problem to start.

Ran only 60 miles Friday and over 200 miles Saturday.

Got to Lavallette NJ from Kingston MA by car Thursday in 6 hours, slow on George Washington Bridge. My friend and his brother in law had their wives drive us down and turn around. They unfortunately took 9 1/2 hours to get back Thursday night in traffic.

We ran the boat to Brielle Marina that night, about 12 miles from Ocean Beach Marina as a quick test and things were good, and fueled up.

We got out to the ocean in five minutes and went to throttle up the twin 420 HP Cat diesels on the 40' SeaRay and couldn't get the starboard to turboboost. Troubleshot fuel concerns at 10 mph for couple hours as we were trying to go past Montauk NY. Labor Day Friday and we were stuck. Either go to MA in 3 days at 10 mph or find someone open that would look at it.

We ran to Jones River Inlet, Freeport NY in 6 hours, Jones River Marina, a good setup, and got 2 diesel mechanics right on it. Starboard engine has the exhaust gas line to the turbo on the outboard side and we couldn't see it. The hose clamp had come off and we weren't getting any horsepower out of the engine.

Stayed overnight and ran all the way to Cataumet MA in 9 hours.

ParkerSal, I think I saw you near some charter boats Friday when we were troubleshooting on the go so I kept away from you.

We were busy. I didn't take other boat pictures other than the SeaRay. I did take a clearer picture of that 48' Silverton at Ocean Beach and here it is.

Dana

Attachments

• DSC03337 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03337 (Medium).JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 627
  • DSC03345 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03345 (Medium).JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 627
Good to hear that your troubles were relatively minor Dana. The lost time had to be a beeyach though.

My trip with the 54 Eastbay is still scheduled for 8-9 Sept..
Look for a report after we get her home. :wink:

Good luck Megabyte.

OK ParkerSal. From a distance it looked like a setup like yours where you put your boat name on the side.

Dana

Back