MV vs. DV For Offshore

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea Bear

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a first time poster on the site and looking into buying a Parker 2520 someday. I really like the sportcabin layout, a real fishermans boat. Anyway, I live in New Jersey and would do mostly inshore fishing, however on nice days I would like to venture offshore for tuna/sharks. I know the obvious pro's and con's to a single engine MV vs a twin DV but was looking for some opinions from some actual boat owners. Is the deep vee really necessary for offshore use, should rough seas be encountered unpredictably, or will the MV still cut it? If I got the MV I would likely add on a kicker for safety's sake. Thanks for your help.

You really need to go for a ride in both boats in rough sea conditions and decide for yourself. Especially in a head sea is where you'll be best able to tell. On a flat day, you won't be able to judge the difference. The general feeling among Parker owners will be go DV if you're going offshore more than occasionally. The MV will get you back, but not as quickly or as comfortably as the DV. Both very sea worthy boats. IMO

stonebuster":14ffazx3 said:
The MV will get you back, but not as quickly or as comfortably as the DV.

That is the essence of it really.

When it really gets snotty, I'll get home safely and comfortably, even though it might only be at a speed of 10 knots...

If you're only going offshore occasionally and fishing inshore most of the rest of the time, the MV would be a fine choice.

Do a search for member esfishdoc. He owns a MVSC and goes offshore frequently. If anyone can give you an honest opinion of MV versus DV... he can. :wink:

You need all the help you can get when it comes to making your Parker a comfortable ride in rough seas, get the DV. I got a year on my Parker 2520DV, and trust me your back will be thanking you for getting the DV. They both will handle the waves, the DV just does it better.

I find myself obsessed with going offshore.... I mean I really have it bad....every day I'm checking the weather 20 times a day and calculating the chances for my next day off (currently Tuesday). I'm checking water temps.. fishing reports..... buying expensive lures....

When I started out I had no idea the Gulfstream would do this to me. I figured I would go out once in awhile..... once a week is barely enough.

With the 2520 XL and the 16 degree hull design I get great economy and on those days when conditions permit a run to the Norfolk canyon I'll put 140 to 160 miles behind me.

So.. do I have the perfect boat.... well.... no.....The DV would be better for offshore.... twin 150's or 200's.... now keep in mind that this would be only for the ride in and out.... and the smoother ride would cost more.... the fishing would be the same... maybe even better on my boat as it would roll a bit less.

I know a guy here on the Eastern Shore who runs offshore with the MV... he catches as much or more fish than I do.....

What is your definition of rough seas?

With true 3 foot waves on the ocean a head sea will slow me down to 18 to 20. Trying to go any faster would be cruel to my passengers. I'm sure my boat will take much more than I'm willing to.

Start watching your offshore reports.... If you never have anything less than 3 to 4 in your area I would not consider anything less than the DV. If you have many days that are 2 to 3 or 3's then less deadrise is doable... of course as you know not all 3 foot waves are equal. I've been out in 3 to 5 foot swells that were nothing compared to steep short 3's.

Have fun and stay safe.

Richard

Have never been in the open ocean, but I go to the Ches. Bay Bridge Tunnel (CBBT) complex every Nov/Dec. It is exposed to the Atlantic. I've taken everything that has been thrown my way during these trips, but a couple of times it was brutal and slow. If you have any back problems at all, the DV is the only way to go.

4' waves can be very different from one day to the next. It all depends on the period between peaks. If they are long (like a swell), then the MV can take even bigger. If they are short (like the Ches Bay is most of the time), then 3' for several hours in the MV can beat you up.

If you are truly going to stick to Bay for 90% of your fishing, and are willing to pick your days for offshore for the rest of the time, the MV will work. Otherwise, go with the DV. If you think you will get bit by the offshore bug and will spend a lot more time offshore, then the DV is the proper choice.

If you are inshore most of the time, especially if you anchor or drift, you will be much better suited with a MV. My DV really, really rolls depending on the day of course. Then you could pick your off-shore days accordingly.

rangerdog":11jrtuzq said:
If you are inshore most of the time, especially if you anchor or drift, you will be much better suited with a MV. My DV really, really rolls depending on the day of course. Then you could pick your off-shore days accordingly.

Ranger...have you ever used those roll dampening devices? There are various designs, but one looks like three to four dinner plates on a rope with a weight at the bottom. You toss one over each gunwhale and they supposedly dampen the speed and duration of the roll.

Similar, but not quite what I was looking for:
http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/M ... lizer.html

Closer, but not quite what I remember seeing:
http://www.boatstabilizers.net/

Yea...here they are:
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=153603F

Well, when I factor in ALL of my boat use, cruising, fishing trips, just playing on it, sleeping over on it (I'm on a mooring), etc ... then I bet that "real" OFFSHORE use is 5% or less of the time spent aboard.

For me, the efficiency and stability of the mod-V is fine. With judicious use of trim tabs (do a search on the word "Bennett" here), as the stock Lencos trim tabs are woefully wayyyyyyyyyyyy too small and impotent, and with lowered engine RPMs ... the mod-V will take any seas you can stand.

Let's put it this way ... I was slugging it out heading around Cape Ann one day while heading out for tuna. It was rough with curls capping off the large swells, which were also wind swept, as some waves were much higher than the pulpit and some smashed off the helm cabin windows! Yes the boat was fine, sure the ride was slow ... but ... you couldn't stand up on the cockpit deck :shock: even with the toerails I added. Would a deep-V have been better? Nope, probablly even worse if you weren't directly into the seas. I figure it that about 50% of the time I want to head offshore the seas are up. Sometimes enough to make me wish I had a deep-V and sometimes enough to make me turn back. But ... I would be turning around in a deep-V too ... as my call to "turn around" is made when any safe use of the cockpit forbades any 'safe' fishing.

Now if I was heading out to sea 10-30 miles for > 50% or so of the time I used the boat just for fishing ... then yes, I would personally get the deep-V. The mod-V will take any seas you throw at here ... you'll just go slower and will "pound" some 'if/when' you force her into the seas ... treat her right (like a woman) and she'll take care of you.

FWIW, I've already found my next boat ... a diesel powered Albin 28' Tournament Express. Reliable and economical diesel power, full skeg for running gear protection, bow thruster standard, tuna door, large guest berth to hold offshore gear/rods, more cabin ammenities like a stand-up head and galley, ... best of all ... and it was rated as one of, if not THE best handing hull that Powerboat Reports has tested to date. Only 18-22 knot cruise, depending on which motor you get ... but reports/testimonials on-line still show them doing 16-20 knots in seas that'll stuff my mod-V hull. Now all I need to do is find the ca$h ... and ... sell my Pahka :( ...

Dale,
I have been looking at the 28 Albin. Very nice boat but I don't know if that 18mph cruise is enough for me. $150,000+ for the new flush deck or 100,000 for a 5 year old boat, I think I would like to go a little faster for that kind of cash. But that is a sweet boat that I look at a lot.

Back to MV or DV.. like everyone said if your going offshore a lot go DV!

How would one REALLY compare the two?

Run them wide open side by side in progressively steeper seas until one of them self destructed? What if you slowed down, would it then be just a matter of comfort and not one of safety? Are there sea conditions that can be negotiated by a DV that cannot be handled by a MV. Is operator experience a factor? Or is it more a matter of a comparison of comfort vs speed vs operating costs?

My initial reaction might be to get the DV in case I wanted to go offshore, but unless I'm serious about boating offshore in uncertain conditions, that could be a very expensive decision.

jeffnick":36tbqm54 said:
How would one REALLY compare the two?
Great question, so here's how I'd attempt to answer it. If in serious seas ... yeah, I'd wish I was in the deep-V for no other reasons than attempting to keep the bow into the waves and/or for better steerage, like if/when in a deep following sea. I do "fear" that if in horrendously ala-"Perfect Storm" bad sea from either bow or stern, that my mod-V bow "could" be bounced off the track I want it to take ... which would leave me pitch-poled or beam to the waves.

That said ... I doubt (and hope :shock: ) I'll ever be in any seas like that in any boat and since my use is for fishing ... I go back to my prior statement of ... "If the seas are too rough for me to stand in the cockpit safely ... then I'm not fishing, I'm turning around."

If the seas aren't THAT bad, then I can venture anywhere the deep-V models can ... albeit a lot slower ;) . So to me, the choice between the two hulls come down to

(1) How much do you go offshore? Percentage of total use ...
(2) How many times (percentage) of that use are the seas up?
(3) Can I afford the $$ the deep-V has (or should have, i.e., twin OBs) to travel faster in such seas?

"How would one really compare the two"?

I see you're from SC. Nautica Marine in Georgetown is possibly you closest Parker/Grady-White dealer.

1-Go to NOAA site on your computer and check weather for Georgetown area. Pick a day with 15-20k East, or SouthEast winds for a few previous days. This should be whitecapping 3-4 footers. My standard SE NC forecast.

2-Take a 23SE (mod v) out. Happy? OK write check...not happy,

3-Take a 23CC out. Happy? OK write check...not happy,

4-Drive directly to Edenton, NC. Home of Regulator!

Seriously, heck of a difference in the two boats. Run 'em both in typical (for me at least) heavy seas. and you'll see the difference. For Florida Keys, flats, inshore, close in fishing, the mod-v's are great.

You can always fish a deep V Parker inshore down to about 3'. It is unlikely you'll be comfortable running 20-30 miles out in anyone's mod-v in other than "lake like" conditions. In the past 8 years, I can think of about 7 trips in flat water.

I run off shore (@20 miles) year round and of course I pick my day. I have been out in the slop and even had many days with water hitting the windshield. My MV got me there and back just fine. While running in really rough seas I would like to hit the DV button and convert it but it is not a big deal. I love the MV for it's skinny water capabilities. And it's lack of rolling, especially off-shore while jigging, is reason enough for me to like it better.

It's the same question: chevy vs. ford, mac vs. pc. It is all a personal choice and heavily influenced by what the person already owns (for many reasons).

Ford for me, by the way ;-)

Try them out for yourself and most imprtantly - be safe.

Jon

My 2310 has a 14 degree MV. The XL hull is 16 degree. Has anyone noticed any diffrence between these two. I would think they are to close to notice.

I had a MV (14 degree) PH and now own an XL and there is a noticable difference in the ride of the two. Not a huge difference, but alittle better with the XL. I would expect the weight difference between the 23 and the XL, plus the increased deadrise of the XL would make the difference even more noticable. If the XL comes out of the water, you're going to feel it when it lands. The extra weight seems to make it easier to keep the boat in the water and lessen the pounding.IMO

Back