My gas gauge/trip meter is reading back garbage

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

striperon

Reaction score
The gauge hasn't quit, totally, but it isn't reading the fuel. Some of the "pixels" have black, but it means nothing.

How do I determine if it is the gauge or the sender? I am a do-it-yourselfer for all but the toughest stuff.

What brand is the gage? Yamaha (what year and what motor?), Navman, some other brand?

If you have "always-on" scattered black pixels, then the thin-screen membrane below the glass has taken a physical hit or has been scrambled by a power surge. Most likely the guage, not the sender.

BTW, a guage is easier to change out than a sender in the fuel tank (although not by much).

Kevin,

It is a Yamaha gauge, 130 HP engine, 1998.

Porkchunker,

I then hope it is the gauge, I like easier.

I had a cover over the console for several weeks while I was traveling for work. We had plenty of rain while I was away. I wondered if it had taken on some moisture, and perhaps had a short.

Ron

Probably not rain/humidity, but if there was direct sun on the cover and the temp under the cover was high enough, it could have caused some damage to the thin-film membrane that creates the pixel image.

Thanks, Porkchunker. I will be finding a new gauge. I hope it is more durable than the old one.

Ron

Back