Need Auto pilot repairs and possible steering upgrade?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoker2001

Reaction score
2005 2820XL with twin F250s
Is typical hyd Steering just a single sea star front mount cylinder on the starboard motor only with rod Connecting both motors?
we’ve tried to bleed the system numerous times, and it just seems like I can’t get all the air out and or the helm is possibly bad? Sometimes in a hard turn under load, it seems like we lose control of the steering…
Unfortunately, the boat is 75 miles away so I can’t verify what make and model the original manufacturer installed auto pilot system. We have on this boat for five years and it is never worked from day one

There can be a number of reasons for your issue. I am only familiar with Garmin. They had an issue with their units a while back. It had to do with the pump and the symptoms sound like yours. There was a fix, and it required replacing a couple of the connections. In some instances it required a replacement pump. Without knowing the manufacturer it would be difficult to even research the fix. More info would probably get you better replies.

You’ve got a number of variables that could be causing and or contributing to both your steering issues and or the autopilot not working. There are multiple components in an autopilot system that can prevent it from functioning as simple as a blown fuse, loose wire connection, magnetic interference to the heading sensor or it could be a more complex hydraulic or electrical problem with the autopilot pump or a hardware or software issue with an electronic component of the autopilot system. A hydraulic problem with the autopilot pump could have an impact on the performance of your boat’s steering system even when the autopilot is in standby or shut off entirely.

If your helm pump is original from 2005, you’ve already gotten a good run out of it. Sight on seen the following is obviously a general possibility but if the helm pump is a 2005 model year, the helm pump itself is likely tired and the check valves gummed up. Either will impact the performance of steering when you’re manning the wheel and also when the you’re trying to have the autopilot steer the boat. You can bleed and bleed and bleed and then mess around wasting all kinds of time rebuilding or shipping the old helm pump out for rebuilding , likely spending 90% of what a new helm pump would have costs and 5x as much if you factor in dollar value for your time or you could bite the bullet, swap old helm pump for a new helm pump (approximately $600), which doesn’t take an hour to swap if you’re handy.

Unfortunately without being able to determine if your inoperable autopilot is impacting the performance of your steering or an old and tired helm pump is preventing your autopilot from functioning as it should all of the above is conjecture.

Last edited:
When you state that it feels like you “lose control” of the steering, what exactly are you experiencing?

If it feels like the wheel just slips intermittently without turning the engines, it’s likely worn out valve components in the helm.

If you’re bleeding your system frequently, and getting visible air out of the system, then you may have a leak somewhere. Visually the system for any signs of hydraulic fluid. Also make sure the bleeder valves on the cylinder are tight and the little protective covers are on.

How does the autopilot fit in to the steering issues, other than the fact that it’s installed as part of the system? Do you experience these loss of steering problems when the AP is engaged?

When you state that it feels like you “lose control” of the steering, what exactly are you experiencing?

If it feels like the wheel just slips intermittently without turning the engines, it’s likely worn out valve components in the helm.

If you’re bleeding your system frequently, and getting visible air out of the system, then you may have a leak somewhere. Visually the system for any signs of hydraulic fluid. Also make sure the bleeder valves on the cylinder are tight and the little protective covers are on.

How does the autopilot fit in to the steering issues, other than the fact that it’s installed as part of the system? Do you experience these loss of steering problems when the AP is engaged?
Tha AP never energized from day one.
From my understanding when bleeding the steering you should be able to “isolate” or shut off fluid to AP while bleeding and I don’t think this AP has ball valves.
Thanks For the replies, I will go visit the boat here shortly and take pictures of exactly what I have

FINALLY got to work on boat!storms have been crazy!Have modern touch screen GPSmap XSV
Can we simply run cable from auto pilot computer AC20 to Garmin plotter?
Supposedly the AP16 needs recalibrated?
We have never used it since boat purchase.thanks

Attachments

• 4CCA53AA-6FF6-495C-889B-937E48F96C8E.jpeg
    4CCA53AA-6FF6-495C-889B-937E48F96C8E.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 5534FA37-31C1-4093-B7DC-12DB391D036E.jpeg
    5534FA37-31C1-4093-B7DC-12DB391D036E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 9260AFED-009B-40BA-BFFB-E01898ADA831.jpeg
    9260AFED-009B-40BA-BFFB-E01898ADA831.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0