Network Re-Build

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyld3man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of re-building the network on my Parker and have a few questions that I have not really been able to find the answers for. It is a brand new 2520XLD with twin Yamaha F200's, Garmin 8612, Optimus 360, Fusion radio, CL5 display, Garmin VHF 115 and a Garmin GMR Fantom 24x radar. The reason I am re-building the network is I came to find out it was not exactly networked correctly from the dealer. After going through the boat I have 0 plans on letting them or any other mechanic touch my boat. Over the years I have seriously questioned the knowledge and craftsmanship of everything from auto repair shops to PC repair places. I am going to be taking a 6 month marine mechanic course this fall so I figure mine as well start doing my own work on the boat.

This whole project started with noticing I was not able to send a waypoint to the Optimus display (Cantrak). I contacted the dealer and they put me in touch with Dometic (Seastar/ Optimus). We sent a few texts back and forth and noticed that I was missing a cable and I needed to order and install it to be able to send a waypoint directly to the Optimus system. Apparently this cable was not included in the original purchase for some reason, it was only $30 anyway. Chasing down this wire led me down a rabbit hole where I discovered multiple issues that needed fixed. The biggest one was the dealer decided to drill out 2 new holes in the transom to run the cables to the engines for the Optimus system instead of tapping into the existing factory ones. I am not sure if this was feasible or not but they did not seal the holes at all, completely bare transom wood exposed. So I used a flexible piece of PVC, split it, spread it out so I could wrap it around the hydraulic lines ( I have electro-hydraulic steering) and cables, put 5200 in the hole and put it in place. When the time comes to mess with the hydraulic lines I will put a proper thru hull plug in, but its sealed and good enough for the time being. I also noticed that the aftermarket wiring job was very sloppy and not everything that can be networked is.

Plans for this project:
- build a private network for the Optimus system (Dometic told me there are only 2 of their products that should be on the N2K network)
- re-build the N2K network and add everything that has the capability to be networked on it.
- add 2 recepticles for electric reels and bent butt rod mounts
- install a fan in the cabin
- run a J1939 cable from the garmin to the Yamaha buss
- clean up all the wiring
- install a Garmin SD card extension on the dash and a multi port USB extension which will be plugged into the back of each device to make it easier to update the devices and mess around with waypoints and charts.

Questions:
- I have command link plus but I can't find the module anywhere, is it built into the CL5 display?
- On the back of the CL5 display there are 3 ports: USB, tank and engine. The engine port has a N2K type of connection, could I or should I connect a N2K drop from this to a "T" on the network or leave it alone? I already plan on running a J1939 from the Yamaha buss to the chart plotter to get the emulation screen, just not sure what the correct way would be.
- I read that the outboards have a N2K or J1939 connection under the cowling on the starboard side. I did not see either, is it incorporated in another manner on the new engines?
- I saw a black box that says Mitsubishi under the helm with all kinds of stuff plugged into it. What is this?
- I saw a rocker switch under the helm. What is this for?
- I plan on installing the fan on the black panel on the ceiling of the cabin. Do I just unscrew the panel then remove the carpet material to run the wires? Or is there an easier way to go about this.

Pics below are:

1- Yamaha buss
2- rocker switch under helm
3-5 outboard pics with cowling removed
6- Mitsubishi black box
7- unsealed hole complete with saw dust
8-black panel where I want to put a fan
9-terrible N2K wiring, they should not be bent
IMG_1065.jpegIMG_1074.jpegIMG_1080.jpegIMG_1081 2.jpegIMG_1079.jpegIMG_1082.jpegIMG_0911.jpegIMG_1056.jpegIMG_1063.jpeg-

Last edited:
Good lord. That’s a horrible N2K network. Asking for problems with the connectors under stress like that. I’d not only stay far away from them if that’s indicative of their work quality, but I’d also contact them and bring it to their attention. Might be able to get some freebies, or at least let them know that their QC department needs to be paying more attention to their techs.

When you replace it, do yourself a favor and put two Ancor 4-port tee connectors on either side of a dedicated power tee. Gives you plenty of connection points while keeping things compact. Also, barring an internal issue, there’s far fewer points of failure.
84D503F6-33F7-43BE-85AE-99FCA71F6CDE.jpeg
That’s a work in progress picture (open ports should have caps) but you get the idea.

Last edited:
I bought all Ancor marine connectors for both of the networks I need to re-build. One 4 port for the private network (Optimus) with one of the Ancor marine backbone cables. The private network is receiving power from the Optimus components and was told not to power that network. For N2K I have 4 and 2 port connectors that I will use the existing Garmin backbone cable that is in place. I may replace the existing yellow garmin power "T" with one of the red ones like you have. I also bought one of the Garmin RJ45 connector kits so I can cut the radar cable back to the length I need. Currently there is probably 20 extra feet of it under the helm.

I contacted the dealer and sent them pics last week, have not heard anything back from them. I tried to call a few times but each time I call the guy I need to speak with is in "meetings". :unsure: The dealer is about an hour and a half from here otherwise I would just stop by. I am going to keep calling them just to see what he has to say about the quality of work his techs conducted on my boat.

Back