New 22 21 se

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
New to the group as I just purchased a 2022 21 se. I love this boat !! However I was steered to this group due to severe issues with the roughness of ride and porposing. I can only tap the trim once from fully tucked and on smoooth water I and anyone in the boat gets the snot beat out of them and a constant low porposing effect.
This newer models do not come with trim tabs but with the smoothness of the Gulf I can't imagine needing them. I took my Biddison out on the same water and road smooth as butter?
Any ideas, I really want to get this worked out as I do love everything else about the boat. Dealer is ordering trim tabs but I feel I should be able to ride on smooth water without them, first, and these should be used in rough water. Like riding a rodeo bull, not enjoyable at all

Trim tabs will definitely help, as would batteries in the console when you install your trolling motor (wink, wink).
That is a (relatively) short, wide, low-deadrise boat. It is a beast, but not the best combination for ride quality. You are on the "stable at drift and anchor" end of the spectrum. I love that boat.

Last edited:
I owned a 21se and can tell you the trim tabs make a difference in the ride. Trim tabs down, the sharp entry of the bow will help smooth out the ride. Keep in mind the boats deadrise aft is only 14 degrees so when you get a decent chop you will have to slow down accordingly. I’ve own several boats (whalers, steigercraft) and the only one I regret selling was my 21se. Best of luck, enjoy your 21se!

Thanks Bodick23 and JRR7127 for responses, much appreciated. I think that gives me enough to believe it's more in the design of the boat than the set up of motor or other issue. I have trim tabs on order so looking forward to seeing the difference these make AND to batteries installed for trolling motor :)

I have a 2015 21SE on Kentucky Lake. When the wind kicks up, we get significant chop (white caps). The trim tabs make a huge difference in terms of smoothing out the ride. You have to find the sweet spot in terms of speed and trim. In any chop, I tend to keep the boat at 4600-4800 rpm to make it more comfortable.

I fully agree on having trim tabs installed however, the porposing can be corrected by getting use to the trimming of your motor. I recommend trimming the motor further down to start and then find the sweet spot. Porpoising should stop with motor trimmed down and then you can fine tune for best fuel economy and speed.

Trim tabs are mandatory. I do 40 mile ocean runs and the tabs push the front of the bow into the water and increases the running surface. The boat will follow the water surface versus going up and over it. There are limits. I would say tabs all the way down and 3000 rpm will give you the best rough water ride. Fuel efficiency will take a hit. Also, props make a big difference along with engine mounting height. Get someone to look at the boat and balance out variables to get the best performance for the sea conditions that you face most, which sounds like short period chop.

I fully agree on having trim tabs installed however, the porposing can be corrected by getting use to the trimming of your motor. I recommend trimming the motor further down to start and then find the sweet spot. Porpoising should stop with motor trimmed down and then you can fine tune for best fuel economy and speed.
This is pretty much what I find, very little trim up. Almost none. Anymore than that and it's a porpoise. But even when that's elemenated can't do more that 22 to 25 mph / 3200rpm(?) and your still getting the snot beat out of you. it's a lot better ride but I wouldn't call it smooth, even on relatively smooth waters

Trim tabs are mandatory. I do 40 mile ocean runs and the tabs push the front of the bow into the water and increases the running surface. The boat will follow the water surface versus going up and over it. There are limits. I would say tabs all the way down and 3000 rpm will give you the best rough water ride. Fuel efficiency will take a hit. Also, props make a big difference along with engine mounting height. Get someone to look at the boat and balance out variables to get the best performance for the sea conditions that you face most, which sounds like short period chop.

I will have them installed next Tuesday and check it out. I think I agree and still would like to find someone knowledgeable to review motor height along with full set up. I am getting great fuel economy so if that suffers, I guess I can handle that. Currently the Biddison with Johnson 150hp is a thirsty thing so, can't be much worse than that :)

Reactions: Efx
This is pretty much what I find, very little trim up. Almost none. Anymore than that and it's a porpoise. But even when that's elemenated can't do more that 22 to 25 mph / 3200rpm(?) and your still getting the snot beat out of you. it's a lot better ride but I wouldn't call it smooth, even on relatively smooth waters

If you have your engine all the way down and still having issues, you may need to raise your engine one hole. It is not very economical to run with your engine at no trim at all. I would consider installing a hydrofoil (several other names used on this site). There is a lot of talk on this site about the pros of installing these on parker boats. I had one on my 2320 and changed the way the boat ran. I believe it's often referred to as a perma-trim on this site. search for it and you will find it. They are also known to help with porpoising. I am attaching something I read about porpoising and knowing the height of your engine. parker is known to install their engines at the factory a little too low, this will help you determine if yours is causing your porpoising. Again, their is a lot of talk on this site about engine height

"How The Boat Porpoising Motor Height Relates.
Having a low mounted motor is one of the top reasons that boats begin to porpoise. Thankfully, it’s simple to tell if your motor is at the appropriate mounting height.

The anti-cavitation plate is your indicator in relation to the hull.

Anti-cavitation plates are found on most outboards. These plates are flat and found on the lower unit. While they are essential for boat operation, they also need to be in the right position in order to complete their job.

To check your motor height, look at the anti-cavitation plate. It should ski across the surface of the water whenever the boat is on-plane during operating speed. If it is below the water line, it is going to pull the back of the boat down into the water.

Causing the bow to ride high, and make the boat porpoise once you are at wide open throttle."

If you have your engine all the way down and still having issues, you may need to raise your engine one hole. It is not very economical to run with your engine at no trim at all. I would consider installing a hydrofoil (several other names used on this site). There is a lot of talk on this site about the pros of installing these on parker boats. I had one on my 2320 and changed the way the boat ran. I believe it's often referred to as a perma-trim on this site. search for it and you will find it. They are also known to help with porpoising. I am attaching something I read about porpoising and knowing the height of your engine. parker is known to install their engines at the factory a little too low, this will help you determine if yours is causing your porpoising. Again, their is a lot of talk on this site about engine height

"How The Boat Porpoising Motor Height Relates.
Having a low mounted motor is one of the top reasons that boats begin to porpoise. Thankfully, it’s simple to tell if your motor is at the appropriate mounting height.

The anti-cavitation plate is your indicator in relation to the hull.

Anti-cavitation plates are found on most outboards. These plates are flat and found on the lower unit. While they are essential for boat operation, they also need to be in the right position in order to complete their job.

To check your motor height, look at the anti-cavitation plate. It should ski across the surface of the water whenever the boat is on-plane during operating speed. If it is below the water line, it is going to pull the back of the boat down into the water.

Causing the bow to ride high, and make the boat porpoise once you are at wide open throttle."
Thank you, great reply !! I will look at all of this and have considered the Hydrofoil (perma-Trim) as well and have heard or read same here on this site as well as THT.

I bought new in 2006 a 21se the boat and 150 y were 2005.
I sold this boat about a year ago and upgraded to a 2320
With that said I made the greatest memories of my life with that 21se.
I live in so cal and have done trips over 200 miles in open ocean.
Caught everything from bluefin tuna , opah, makos dorado you name it.
Even in very rough seas with small craft advisories this boat was a tank and could take anything!
I bought her new at the Anaheim boat show for 38k and sold her after all those years with 3800 hours on that Yamaha for 35k.
Trim tabs are a game changer, when it’s rough bury those tabs and let her eat the swells and she will. That flare makes for a dry ride for a cc.
The reason I sold and went from 4 fat guys standing all day and still getting 4 mpg to a 2320 that gets 2 at best?
I’m older and the pilot house is just so nice. Plus with a tuna tower and buddy’s with $ I come home after 12 hours not sunburned and beat to death.
Enjoy your new 21, mine had a t top and that made it more comfy.
Such a sweet little sled.
I’ve even towed it way down Baja.
As for the permatrim I never had one but do now on my 2320 and I bet that would help a ton.
Enjoy

I bought new in 2006 a 21se the boat and 150 y were 2005.
I sold this boat about a year ago and upgraded to a 2320
With that said I made the greatest memories of my life with that 21se.
I live in so cal and have done trips over 200 miles in open ocean.
Caught everything from bluefin tuna , opah, makos dorado you name it.
Even in very rough seas with small craft advisories this boat was a tank and could take anything!
I bought her new at the Anaheim boat show for 38k and sold her after all those years with 3800 hours on that Yamaha for 35k.
Trim tabs are a game changer, when it’s rough bury those tabs and let her eat the swells and she will. That flare makes for a dry ride for a cc.
The reason I sold and went from 4 fat guys standing all day and still getting 4 mpg to a 2320 that gets 2 at best?
I’m older and the pilot house is just so nice. Plus with a tuna tower and buddy’s with $ I come home after 12 hours not sunburned and beat to death.
Enjoy your new 21, mine had a t top and that made it more comfy.
Such a sweet little sled.
I’ve even towed it way down Baja.
As for the permatrim I never had one but do now on my 2320 and I bet that would help a ton.
Enjoy
Thank you blubby07 for the great memories and information. Looking forward to making my own, I do love the boat and I'm sure I'll work all this out.

Trim tabs first and take it from there. Get the widest (side to side) ones (not clown tabs) that will fit. With large tabs, you can bring them down a little and make a larger difference without adding so much drag. I have to cram my factory tabs all the way down to make changes sometimes...too small.

Trim tabs first and take it from there. Get the widest (side to side) ones (not clown tabs) that will fit. With large tabs, you can bring them down a little and make a larger difference without adding so much drag. I have to cram my factory tabs all the way down to make changes sometimes...too small.
that's the plan. The Dealer has ordered factory tabs and stated, "they have to fit in the area provided on the boat hull". I'm going to review with them and get the largest ones I can.

Any weight you can move forward will help with the ride also. A quick test of that is put two guys on the bow and youll see the
difference. Of course that isnt a solution as they will be miserable. I put a large ice chest in front of the console with 80 lbs of ice and any
backpacks and other items that can handle the ride.

I replaced the deck and fuel tank a few months back and in the process moved my console about 18 inches forward. That has helped a lot.

Good luck!!

I just wanted to thank everyone here again. I did have trim tabs installed, 12" Lenco, and made all the difference. Like a different boat, very happy with them.

Thanks again !!

Back